Obnoxcious Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxPal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a rude doctor who would sometimes call our pharmacy, give me attitude, and hang up the phone abruptly. Last time I talked to him he was at it again. When I told him that he needed to be more professional and stop hanging up on other people, he got so mad that he complained to my store manager, saying I was being rude to a doctor.

I really have had enough with this insolence. Every time he calls he would make me feel so disturbed, and I am afraid this may cause me easier to make mistakes at my job. Have any of you had to deal with doctors like him in your practice. What would be a good way to make this individual show more respect with another healthcare professional?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a rude doctor who would sometimes call our pharmacy, give me attitude, and hang up the phone abruptly. Last time I talked to him he was at it again. When I told him that he needed to be more professional and stop hanging up on other people, he got so mad that he complained to my store manager, saying I was being rude to a doctor.

I really have had enough with this insolence. Every time he calls he would make me feel so disturbed, and I am afraid this may cause me easier to make mistakes at my job. Have any of you had to deal with doctors like him in your practice. What would be a good way to make this individual show more respect with another healthcare professional?

O-b-n-o-x-i-o-u-s. 2 points for use of the world "insolence" however.

You can't "make" anyone do anything in this world. If he wants to be mean, he will. I find that there are two ways to deal with this type of individual: 1) kill him with kindness. you are in charge of your own emotions. just remember that you can leave it all behind you at the end of your day and 2) ask him what his deal is. Be straight up without trying to be argumentative. Maybe he has a busy practice with "needy" patients. Maybe his life sucks. Who knows? Either way, don't let it get to you (easier said than done, I know). There will be people like that EVERYWHERE. Let them be the stressed out ones, not you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell him that it is not your fault his mommy didn't give him enough love when he was a child. Also tell him that it's not your fault his wife spends all his money while sitting at home eating the latest ice cream off the Schwann's truck and getting fat. Then hang the phone up on him before he hangs up on you.

Tell him that it is not your fault his mommy didn't give him enough love when he was a child. Also tell him that it's not your fault his wife spends all his money while sitting at home eating the latest ice cream off the Schwann's truck and getting fat. Then hang the phone up on him before he hangs up on you.

Then tell him you had sex with his wife and hope she is still alive and it is not another Costanza moment.

Then tell him you had sex with his wife and hope she is still alive and it is not another Costanza moment.

Just do the opposite of whatever you think is right.

But really, if the guy is such a ahole on the phone that you cant properly take a script down, I would tell him that he either needs to fax in the scripts or send them escript. If he wont do that then refuse to fill the scripts. Then file a complaint with the Board of Medicine for unsafe practice or something.

Probably need to document every encounter with this guy in case the BOP comes after you.

Just do the opposite of whatever you think is right.

But really, if the guy is such a ahole on the phone that you cant properly take a script down, I would tell him that he either needs to fax in the scripts or send them escript. If he wont do that then refuse to fill the scripts. Then file a complaint with the Board of Medicine for unsafe practice or something.

Probably need to document every encounter with this guy in case the BOP comes after you.

I have been considering doing that actually but don't know how much the board cares. Anyway, wouldn't hurt to try.

being "business only" helps.

example convo:

"BLAH BLAH WHY DO YOU SUCK"
you: "is this a new script?"
"YOU PHARMACISTS ARE STUPID"
you: "what's the patient's name?"
"WHY DO YOU KEEP ASKING ME QUESTIONS"
you: "how about a date of birth, i can't seem to find the pt you're trying to call in a script for"
"LET ME SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER"
you: "sure the number is 212-555-1222"

stuff like that...drives people nuts, keeps you on the legal

you are in charge of your own emotions.

This. Don't let anyone else get into your head, especially to the point where you think you might make a mistake. Criminys!

We all deal with difficult docs/nurses/patients/whatever every day. The majority of the time their anger isn't really directed at you. It's just that person having a bad day/week/life and wanting to vent. I really think that part of the reason retail pharmacists make more than hospital is due to the abuse we receive. The key is to not let it affect your mindset. Just focus on doing your job, and when you leave work for the day, leave the work at work.

For every obnoxious doctor, there is also an obnoxious pharmacist or an obnoxious nurse, adjusted respectively for the profession sizes. You just got to learn how to deal with difficult people, accept that people like that exist everywhere, grow a thicker skin unfortunately, and hope you don't become someone like that when you're in positions of power yourself.

You can't "make" anyone do anything in this world. If he wants to be mean, he will. I find that there are two ways to deal with this type of individual: 1) kill him with kindness. you are in charge of your own emotions. just remember that you can leave it all behind you at the end of your day

"kill him with kindness" haha I like this! Will totally try this approach if I ever experience this kind of situation.

Does your store have caller ID? If I saw his name show up, I would have my tech answer and if he asked to speak to the RPh for a new script, I'll have my tech tell him call it on the voice mail because I'm busy.

You could always make an appointment at his office then tell him what you think of him when it is just the two of you alone in an exam room...

Does your store have caller ID? If I saw his name show up, I would have my tech answer and if he asked to speak to the RPh for a new script, I'll have my tech tell him call it on the voice mail because I'm busy.

bad approach...what if you can't hear what he said in the voicemail ? Then you have to call him back and all the drama starts all over again.

The real solution for this would be "treat peolple the way you want to be treated". So go ahead and be rude to him. Next time when he calls in, you can talk to him like this:

"name?"
"direction?"
"refill?"

Don't say anything else...Don't ever say "please" to him. Don't say thank you. Just hang up when u are done with all the info. If u can't hear him clearly, say "what? Repeat about ..."

I have a friend who doesn't believe in killing in kindness..he kills with anger right back. He says it works, and makes people laugh, but maybe it's because he's so naturally sarcastic that it works for him. If I tried it, the doctor would probably reach right through the phone and choke me...

Don't know if this post actually added to the discussion, but I'll put it up anyway.