Observation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predental

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am observing an orthodontist once a week.
However, the procedures seem to be very monotonous and I don't know how to spend time there.
I have some interviews this month and hope to get more dental experience before I start dental school.
How can I benefit from observation? Any advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi predental,

Good luck on your upcoming interviews! I would recommend that you spend some time observing & assisting chairside (if possible) in a general dentistry practice. Orthodontics is very specialized and will not expose you to most of the treatment scenarios that you will encounter in dental school. I interned for a semester (several years ago) in a general dentistry practice and was able to assist in everything from basic restorative procedures to root canals to minor oral surgery. Even if the dentist does not allow you to assist (pass instruments, etc.), at least you may get the opportunity to look over the dentists shoulder for a "closer look" into the types of oral health problems commonly treated in dental practice.

Take care,
Smile_doc :)