Observational OS Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what externships out there are observation only, and will accept 2nd year students? I know UW does, and I've heard that Fresno might as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I did one at San Antonio during my second year, but i have not heard of many others though

When I was a 2nd year dental student, my externship was approved at UF Jacksonville. They definitely take 2nd years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you happen to have a contact for the externship Yah? It doesn't appear to be advertised on the website.

I did an externship at UCSF after summer of 2nd year. My classmates did their UCSF externship after 3rd year. Funny how all of us did only observational. :rolleyes:

I did an externship at UCSF after summer of 2nd year. My classmates did their UCSF externship after 3rd year. Funny how all of us did only observational. :rolleyes:

Well UCSF certainly would be convenient, thanks for all the heads up guys, I thought I was going to be putting all my eggs in one basket.

Does anyone know what externships out there are observation only, and will accept 2nd year students? I know UW does, and I've heard that Fresno might as well.

what is an observational externship?

UW
UCLA
UF Jacksonville
UCSF
San Antonio

Anywhere else?

From what I gather, it's basically shadowing, possibly with some bonus scut work if you're lucky :thumbup:

wouldn't you rather pull some teeth, suture, drill some holes, place some screws, and wire some jaws rather than just watch it? then the scut work will seem worth it.

wouldn't you rather pull some teeth, suture, drill some holes, place some screws, and wire some jaws rather than just watch it? then the scut work will seem worth it.

Hell yes I would! But considering that I won't be seeing my first patient until the quarter after my externship, and won't have had my oral surgery block until the quarter after that, I doubt many schools would be too keen on letting me drill into someones mandible. :hardy::luck::smuggrin::laugh::eek::cool::D:):p

Hell yes I would! But considering that I won't be seeing my first patient until the quarter after my externship, and won't have had my oral surgery block until the quarter after that, I doubt many schools would be too keen on letting me drill into someones mandible. :hardy::luck::smuggrin::laugh::eek::cool::D:):p

the funny thing is that drilling into someones mandible is a lot easier than doing a DO on #15. They should let you do some bone drilling before tooth drilling. We have had 1 second year extern in the past and by the time he went to do his dental school OMS block, he had already pulled more teeth than people who had finished their block. He earned it though.

the funny thing is that drilling into someones mandible is a lot easier than doing a DO on #15. They should let you do some bone drilling before tooth drilling. We have had 1 second year extern in the past and by the time he went to do his dental school OMS block, he had already pulled more teeth than people who had finished their block. He earned it though.

:eek:

Does parkland or LSU or bama let you do externships between D2 and D3 after part I has been taken?

Do you need to have part one taken to go on an externship?

we had a 2nd year extern with us here at the big easy and let him plate some mandibles..back in august...i can't speak for parkland and 'bama, but they are also good programs to extern at...