Observership during September?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maieutic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm an IMG graduate, who plans on applying next year. Due to the pandemic and lack of Step 2 CS, there might be visa difficulties. My plan is to do 3 observerships, which I hoped would be in June-July-August.

Assuming next years application deadline is September 15, is it possible to do an observership during September? This might delay one of my LORs, but I've heard most PDs start looking at applications on Oct 1st anyway. (I'm asking because if this is possible, it'll give me another month as wiggle room in case my visa application gets rejected).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working as a hospitalist now and I have plenty of time on my weeks off and even with that time I take about 2-3 weeks to write LOR's for medical students, I would only rush if the student really impressed me otherwise my program has a secretary who would tell you at the end of the rotation, your LOR will be ready in 3-4 weeks so you dont keep insisting. Play it safe and ry to get them ahead of time, also prepare the letters on your own as so many physicians would like to just sign it and upload it to take it off the way.

Good Luck