observing/ externship with DDS this friday!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makwendo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One more hurdle down, an DDS in my area who was an alum from my undergrad has set up a program with the career services at my undergrad school where students/new alum are allowed to do an intensive oberservation over a few days!

Anybody do an externship at a practicelike this...as opposed to a few hours every week for an extended period of time? What am I in for? Anything I should be/ shouldn't be asking/ talking about during my time with the DDS? (Except for the obvious...courtesy, appearance etc).
comments much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Ive done a lot of shadowing, so I can give some advice. Like you said, appearance and courtesy are a must. I always dressed up in a dress shirt and tie and always thanked them for their time and greeted them appropriately. Dont try to learn all the details of everything and also if you know some things, try not to act like a know it all. Also...always greet the patients and the Dr. will usually introduce you as a student who is observing. Dentists love it when there are others who are interested in their profession. Anyways, have a good time and tell us all how it went. ;)