Obsession:Darmouth

Started by Hermeone
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hermeone

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How hard is it to get into that school?
(what kinda credentials, GPA< MCAT< ECS...etc?)
Please list!
 
I got an interview from it!

PM me if u want stats etc ...
 
It is not as competitive as the Ivy League name would indicate. I think the average MCAT is around a 30.

Good luck, pack your winter clothes!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just got back from interviewing there. ver y nice program....small intimate size class (about 80 students). in terms of competitiveness, one of the admissions people gave us an overview of the process at the start of the day. basically,
avg GPA was around 3.6/3.7, MCATs around 31. they have a first round reader, superstars go straight to interview (she didn't really elaborate what made a "superstar)...vast majority of applicants get sent to a sub-committee.....interviews decided then. i don't think their waitlist is ranked, fyi. hope this helps!
 
superstars are basically high gpa high mcat.....

my friend from uci has both of those.......but completed his app a month after mine.....and he got an interview invite within a few days after they received it..........

i have yet to hear from them 😉
 
Originally posted by kmnfive
a 30? is that right. jesus... thats kinda disapointing

Seems like most of the really competitive schools are in the big cities with huge diverse patient populations not in the middle of Northern New Hampshire. I think that is why Cornell might be in NYC not Ithaca. But don't complain! We gotta get in somewhere! 😉

Plus the faculty is awesome at Dartmouth, they get tons of research money for the size of the facility, brand new hospital, patients from all over NH and Maine and with a class of only 80 students you will be more than a number in a huge lecture hall. Students actually may get more responsibility there than elsewhere. Many of the students continue on to residencies at Harvard and Yale.
 
Originally posted by rCubed
what's the secondary for dartmouth like?

if i remember correctly, there was a short essay about what you will be doing during the 2003-2004 academic year, you have to fill out which classes you took in chemistry, biology, physics, etc. and there is an essay (it might even be optional, i can't remember) that asks you to tell the committee something about yourself that isn't in your AMCAS essay that would be helpful for the committee to know about you when making their decisions.
 
Regardless of the average GPA/MCAT, Dartmouth is an excellent school. After looking at the Residency Match List, I was amazed that the school did not get better recognition. I think some chose not to attend Dartmouth primarily due to its location.
Also, not so long ago, I was speaking with the Internal Medicine Admissions Director of a TOP (whatever that may mean on these boards) California medical school about Dartmouth and he could only say that Dartmouth students are one of the most prepared out of all the interns that enter, at least in Internal Medicine. When I prodded him a bit further, he told me that, in fact, there was a general consensus about this in the medical community at THAT hospital.

-Harps
 
Maybe the reason the students are so well prepared from Dartmouth is they really work them in the 3rd year.

One of the students was saying that the 80 hour work week does not apply to medical students and telling about the 36 hour shift she had just finished.
 
where did u find the residency match list for med schools? is there a specific website for that, or did u just find it at the school's website?
 
that has links to all the match lists. I will try to find it. You an obviously google the school's site to find the match list.
 
The match list was on the last few pages of the Dartmouth Medical School booklet they send to those who apply there. If I recollect correctly, there were many many Harvard, Yale...those type of matches. Quite a few with UCSF as well. Needless to say, I was impressed.

Skypilot,
You're right!! Dartmouth maybe the most HARD-CORE medical school of the IVY LEAGUE colleges. I have heard this from both current DMS students and a few DMS graduates. One of the graduates, a Chief Resident at one of the University Hospitals in California, specifically told me that he felt pretty darn prepared compared to students from other WELL KNOWN schools. Obviously, this is only anecdotal. Its difficult to judge the PREPAREDNESS of medical students from a particular school. Though I consider board scores to be only superficial measurements (my opinion, of course!)

-Harps
 
I didn't know Dartmouth is one of the ivies. Oh well, I am shallow
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by Harps
he felt pretty darn prepared compared to students from other WELL KNOWN schools. Obviously, this is only anecdotal. Its difficult to judge the PREPAREDNESS of medical students from a particular school

But I have heard the opposite about the Harvard students. Although they may be rocking the board exams their clinical skills sometimes are not up to par.
 
Originally posted by skypilot
It is not as competitive as the Ivy League name would indicate. I think the average MCAT is around a 30.

Good luck, pack your winter clothes!

i don't know where you got your numbers, but according to US NEWS, the average mcat score for the entering class of 2002 was 31.8... so almost a 32 which is a respectable score.
 
But even a 31.8 average means they are accepting plenty of people with sub 30 scores. I personnally know one of the first people to be interviewed there this week had a 29. So don't be afraid to apply there just because they are Ivy. It's a great school and you'll be a great doc graduating from there.
 
Wow, a 29 MCAT and already inteviewing there. I am sure that person has great ECs and a GPA, but I am still waiting for my interview from them. Maybe my ECs or something else is amiss...
🙁

Well, I know last year, UCLA accepted a girl from my school (non-URM, if you're wondering) with a 25 MCAT. She did have a fairly high GPA, though. In fact, quite a few students with sub-30 MCAT scores that were accepted in last years application cycle, but they were either URM or applied as disadvantaged students. But the average MCATs for those school were still quite high.

Harps
 
She had a 7 on the verbal and 11 on the other two sections. English was not her first language (Asian). Very good GPA.

Good luck. I think Dartmouth also wants to know that you are not going to turn them down for another school in a warmer climate so if you have a good reason for wanting to be there let them know.
 
DMS starts its students out with MD preceptors and a clinical skills course in the first year. Other schools may do this as well, but the program here is really well run. Our class (78 students) is broken up into groups of 8, each group having a local physician as a facilitator. Each week, we either get together to learn/practice interviewing and examinations, or we go to our preceptor's practice and work with the patients there (each student in 1st and 2nd year is paired up with a doc in the community). It's a really nice, low-stress introduction to interviewing, examining and presenting patients.

Also, about 20 of the 80 students in the second year class will move to Providence to do their rotations at Brown (through the Brown-Dartmouth Program). That leaves only 60 or so students who will rotate through the DMS hospitals. I have it from the upper classes that the remaining students get lots of exposure in their rotations.

Besides the On Doctoring course, DMS has a very accomodating administration and a tight-knit class that is lots of fun.
 
so, u eithe rmust have a very high gpa with sub 30 MCAT or very high MCAT with about 3.5++ gpa.. or very high gpa and mcat..



Oh well, I can't never understand the admission process..