obsessive detail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kestrelcry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know I'm waaaay over-analysing this, but this is the first potential RA position I'm getting somewhere on; I really want it, and I don't want to even slightly risk messing it up. :scared: A while ago, I e-mailed a cover letter and resume to a professor I excessively want to work with and didn't hear anything back. I called him today out of desperation and mentioned that I'd e-mailed him asking about his lab. He asked if I'd gotten an application back from him, I said no, he said it probably fell through the cracks, e-mail him again. So, when I e-mail him - just ask for the application since he already said he'd send one or do another cover letter and resume kind of thing? I don't want to go over the top, but I would like to look uber-prepared and ready to do all the right things. Thoughts? Opinions? Planks upside the head about me being a leetle too obsessive about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I know I'm waaaay over-analysing this, but this is the first potential RA position I'm getting somewhere on; I really want it, and I don't want to even slightly risk messing it up. :scared: A while ago, I e-mailed a cover letter and resume to a professor I excessively want to work with and didn't hear anything back. I called him today out of desperation and mentioned that I'd e-mailed him asking about his lab. He asked if I'd gotten an application back from him, I said no, he said it probably fell through the cracks, e-mail him again. So, when I e-mail him - just ask for the application since he already said he'd send one or do another cover letter and resume kind of thing? I don't want to go over the top, but I would like to look uber-prepared and ready to do all the right things. Thoughts? Opinions? Planks upside the head about me being a leetle too obsessive about this?

Just ask him for the application, remind him of who you are, that you spoke to him on the phone, etc. Leave it at all. His time is valuable and you might just annoy him if you throw more cover letters at him.

Thankee, folks! Off I go to meet my destiny. :D