Obtaining in-state residency

Started by erin0522
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

erin0522

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard from some students in pharmacy school that it is nearly impossible to obtain in-state residency even after a year of school. I really want to get out of Florida, but the cheap tuition is just too hard to pass up.

If you were able to go to an out-of-state school and were able to obtain residency eventually, please reply what state and what the process was?
I know it's state-specific.

Preferred responses from people in: Kentucky, Maryland, Colorado, North Carolina
 
I think after 1 year of pharm school, you can apply to become a resident at both the University of Washington as well as Buffalo (can't remember the full name of the school in Buffalo, but there's a pharm school there). Those are the only two I'm familiar with that allow for residency after beginning school.

I got residency somewhere by getting married to a resident (no, we didn't get married to get residency!). That usually works, even if the school claims it won't.
 
I received in-state tuition as an undergrad in colorado, as long as you're over 23 its quite simple. You have to live here for one year- prove it with a lease.

If and when you move here, make sure you get a CO DL, voter registration, open bank accounts in colorado, and if you have a vehicle, register it here. The more proof you have as attachment to the state the better, because even if they do grant residency they can take it away if they find a discrepancy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received in-state tuition as an undergrad in colorado, as long as you're over 23 its quite simple. You have to live here for one year- prove it with a lease.

If and when you move here, make sure you get a CO DL, voter registration, open bank accounts in colorado, and if you have a vehicle, register it here. The more proof you have as attachment to the state the better, because even if they do grant residency they can take it away if they find a discrepancy.
I'll add that this is how it happens for U Colorado law as well. Couldn't find it on the UC pharmacy website though. I'm sure it is as mega describes.