Obtaining Residency for admission/tuition

Started by emily4264
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

emily4264

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi y'all. I applied to vet school for this upcoming year but got wait-listed at 3 schools. My plan is now to get a full time job for the next two years and apply for fall 2015. I live in Maine so I have no instate options so I am looking to move to a state with a vet school and obtain residency so I can apply as instate for admissions and tuition purposes. I'm wondering what your knowledge is of the feasibility of doing this for certain states. I've been on every schools website and have done some research myself, but was wondering if anyone had first hand experience doing this. My top states are Tennessee and Mississippi. Other states I'm looking into are: Missouri, Oregon, Washington, Virginia/Maryland, Illinois, Wisconsin, Georgia, Kansas, and Iowa.
Cost of living, instate tuition costs, and likelihood of getting in as in-state are important factors for me.
Thanks a bunch,
-Emily
 
Hey, Emily! What are you currently interested in? Large animal, small animal, mixed, exotics, or research? Each university has specific areas that they excel in. My suggestion would be to actually go to those universities (if you are able to) and see if they match your personality. Also, I would do research on weather conditions. Believe it or not, that can make a difference in what kind of car you need and what clothes that you wear during the year. For instance, I lived in the Midwest for four years while completing my undergrad. I had to add antigel to my car (to prevent the diesel from gelling) and purchased long johns for the first time. If you decide to apply to a school in the Midwest, be prepared for very windy conditions throughout the year especially in the winter. (What the weatherman says on TV is not necessarily what the temperature outside is.) Also, Iowa receives a lot more snow than Kansas and be prepared for ice!
Out of the group, I would say that Wisconsin has the cheapest in-state tuition, but be prepared for the higher costs of living and paying by the month for on-campus parking. I know that UW-Madison and University of Minnesota charge by the month for on-campus parking. If you can, I would live as close to campus as possible or live near a bus route.
If you decide to apply to Oregon and Washington, I would definitely look into establishing residency. I spoke to some students from Wazzu, and they told me that it was relatively easy to establish residency. Plus, no in-state income tax! The eastern portion is very different from the western portion. The western portion is more urbanized and industrial compared to the eastern side that is more agricultural. You need a four-wheel drive especially crossing the mountain passes during the winter.
I would ask Kpowell about Mizzou. I have been to the state of Missouri a few times. The people are friendly over there, and Columbia is not to far from Kansas City or St. Louis if you want to relax or catch a flight.
Oh, speaking for success rates, I would go to each each potential school's website and look for "Successful Student Statistics" or "Successful Student Profile" of the Class of 2017.
Please double check to make sure your courses satisfy their prerequisites.
If you need anymore info, feel free to PM me. 🙂
 
Thanks, I am interested in mixed animals. I have been on each website and looked into the in state tuition and success rates. I just want to make sure I can actually get residency and be considered in state for admissions. Also, I'm from Maine and went to school in Upstate New York so I'm used to wind, snow, and ice!
 
Hey, I found this website for you through the Tennessee registrar's page. Apparently there is no set time limit as far as living in the state for obtaining residency in TN, but I would probably call the registrar's office and ask them. Here is the site: http://registrar.tennessee.edu/residency/residency.shtml
I have heard it is almost impossible to gain residency in TN once you are already a student, but I don't know about how hard it is before you become a student. It seems kind of vague to me in the wording.

Hope that helps!