occupational medicine elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone out there done an occupational medicine elective? if so, could u describe ur experience (i.e. what did u do during ur elective rotation)? what were ur impressions on this specialty? any insight on job outlook? any advice u could provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think occ med has a lot of opportunities.

Most of the docs out there doing Occupational medicine clinics are not board certified in occ med. Rather, they are PCPs moonlighting to support their practice or they are GPs with some training in workers comp and functional evals.

The board certified occ med docs I don't don't usually work at those clinics. They work for corporation as medical review officers or chief medical officers. Their main jobs are doing chart reviews and advice the company on each particular case.

Some can do that for fedral government. One doctor told me you can work at home, the feds will mail you a chart, then you review it and send it back. A check will come out in the mail for you. Pretty nice if you ask me.

If you go the corporate route, there maybe limitation in patient contact.....

could I have my np/pa look over the chart and get paid for it, if she reviews with me?