Occupational Therapy

Started by jturpin4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,
I recently took my NBCOT exam and failed by a couple of points and very devastated. I am looking for a study group to help me better prepare for my test in the next 3months. If you are in the NYC are please respond or if you have any suggestions i would greatly appreciate!! thanks
 
OTNY-

Sorry to hear that.

Two of my employees had the misfortune of an unsuccessful test result on their first attempt at the OTR exam. I think that it's beneficial to review the statistics on your score report closely. Most folks will have a subpar performance in one area that brings them down to a lower score. So check out to see what are was the toughest for you to do. Then focus your question-based preparation on those. Also, the persons charged with presenting this info to you are your professors. I urge you to use their input as well. For example, let's say I didn't do so well on the assessment sections. I'd ask my professors - whomever you're closest too, I don't think it'll matter - about what resources (texts, notes, etc) you could use to bone up.

Hope that helps, and best of luck on the next one!

dc
 
thanks much, when i get the result i will infact focus on the section that i am the weakest in. I am so happy to find this website.

bigdan said:
OTNY-

Sorry to hear that.

Two of my employees had the misfortune of an unsuccessful test result on their first attempt at the OTR exam. I think that it's beneficial to review the statistics on your score report closely. Most folks will have a subpar performance in one area that brings them down to a lower score. So check out to see what are was the toughest for you to do. Then focus your question-based preparation on those. Also, the persons charged with presenting this info to you are your professors. I urge you to use their input as well. For example, let's say I didn't do so well on the assessment sections. I'd ask my professors - whomever you're closest too, I don't think it'll matter - about what resources (texts, notes, etc) you could use to bone up.

Hope that helps, and best of luck on the next one!

dc
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering why the published salary for OTs is so low compared the salaries I've seen on salary.com. According to that website, OTs in both San Jose, CA and New York, NY average $70,000 per year. Is the $50,000 figure due to the fact that many OTs work part-time? Or are there some parts of the country where OTs make very low salaries?
 
delightx81 said:
I was wondering why the published salary for OTs is so low compared the salaries I've seen on salary.com. According to that website, OTs in both San Jose, CA and New York, NY average $70,000 per year. Is the $50,000 figure due to the fact that many OTs work part-time? Or are there some parts of the country where OTs make very low salaries?

I think the salary depends on the location. For example, in Kentucky the average salary is around $48,000. San Jose and NYC has a higher standard of living than Kentucky, which results in a salary increase.
 
delightx81 said:
I was wondering why the published salary for OTs is so low compared the salaries I've seen on salary.com. According to that website, OTs in both San Jose, CA and New York, NY average $70,000 per year. Is the $50,000 figure due to the fact that many OTs work part-time? Or are there some parts of the country where OTs make very low salaries?


Wow--makes me want to move... 😛 I do not know one OT that makes $70,000, unless they have given up patient care and are only doing administrative work. I do agree it must be the standard of living in those areas. The avg. salary for new grads in the south is around $45,000...so the $50,000 avg salary nationwide sounds correct to me.
 
Couple of thoughts on the salary things:
1) the Monster.com, salary.com, etc. have little drive to show you something that you're happy with. I don't want to say that they dupe folks or lie, but you're not gonna post that resume or look to leave your job if their info says that you're in the 95th%ile for your profession. Just take it with a grain of salt.

2) Salary varies wildly with everything. A school OT working 6 hour days for 40 weeks a year in a posh area might not make as much as a hospital OT in the same area. If you work right next to an OT school, the salaries will be lower. Some areas would kill puppies to get an OT into their nursing home - go look at Advance for OT practioners. Some ads offer 10K signing bonuses!!!! I do, for a fact, know of OTs that make 70K in Binghamton NY, working in hosptials, just treating patients, no admin role. The highest I'd ever seen in Binghamton was the highest ranked person (CEO, really) in a small rehab company, at 89K. Highest that I've ever heard of at all (that can be reasonably verified) was an OT Director at a huge hospital in a major city (how's that for vague? You never know who's reading...) at 120K. No patient care duties, just a paper pusher, and she had a PhD and published a lot, but that's more than a lot of family medicine docs make.

In 1998, I made low 30s. 2003 or so I broke 50. Got the highest admin job at a place and made 59 pushing papers. Left my last job to come here to medical school at 50 even.

dc
 
Hi All,

I have a question regarding the volunteer requirement for OT programs. Aside from volunteer work in clinics, hospitals and private practice, does observation of an OT during therapy sessions also count? To be more specific, I have had various opportunities to observe OT sessions in a home setting--an OT makes weekly visits to a relative of mine and I've been able to observe the sessions. Does anyone know if that would count? If so, how could I document that, if needed?

Thanks,
Madusa 😀
 
Hey Madusa,

I think it may count if the OT is willing to document the hours for you. If I were you, I would create a form where I could fill in the date, time in, and time out for each time I observed a session. Then I would have the OT sign or initial to verify the hours. When you apply to OT school, some schools will have forms for the OT to evaluate you. If you feel the OT would be comfortable doing this for you, it should be fine. Good luck!

~delightx81
 
I'm glad they finally added occupational therapy to the subforum title. as they teach us in school, you gotta advocate for this young profession 😉
 
delightx81 said:
Hey Madusa,

I think it may count if the OT is willing to document the hours for you. If I were you, I would create a form where I could fill in the date, time in, and time out for each time I observed a session. Then I would have the OT sign or initial to verify the hours. When you apply to OT school, some schools will have forms for the OT to evaluate you. If you feel the OT would be comfortable doing this for you, it should be fine. Good luck!

~delightx81

I agree,
also, it depends on school. You should call or write directly to school where you're planning to apply in order to confirm if it will be counted and how.

Good luck!
 
So many things to reply to, I'm not sure where to start!

I'm an OT student in Baltimore, MD. I'm in a combined BS/MS program graduating in May 2007, and I'm just finishing up my phys/dys level II, and until now, I've had a phenomenal experience.

After 10+ weeks of being at my phys-dys fieldwork, (an orthopedic floor) I have to echo what others have said about the relationship between OT's and the rest of the staff. I have found that it is the OT's that get along the best with the RN's, PCA's, PT's, SW's, PA's, and MD's. But it is a two way street. If you're in a room talking with a patient and a tech comes in to change the sheets, go ahead and help the tech while you continue chatting...it makes everyone like you even more.

As for my typical day, we start in the morning seeing patients day 1 after surgery (in my floor, its usually hip and knee replacements, or limb lengthening) for the initial evaluations. We're usually able to judge from how well they get up and walk around if they're going to go home or go to acute rehab. On the first day, we usually get out of bed, take a few steps and sit in a recliner chair. The initial evals are also usually a co-treat with physical therapy. On the second day after surgery, we usually do toilet transfers, making sure that the patients can get on and off a low toilet safely. On the third day after surgery, we go over adaptive equipment for lower body ADL's (they can't break those hip precautions!), car transfers, and tub transfers. Most patients are off the floor by 3 days, either going home or to rehab.

I've done field trips to other areas of the hospital, including acute care and TBI. In TBI/neuro, we help out with dressing, hygiene, and other ADL's as well as ROM and muscle strengthening, esspecially with stroke patients. In acute care, I've worked with spinal cord injury patients, where we teach them how to put on the brace and go about their ADL's while managing their injury.

Overall, I've learned more on my fieldworks than in all my schooling, but that is not to discount the education. Education is paramount to learning about all the conditions you may see and learning how to treat them. What I'm saying is that seeing it firsthand is how it gets ingrained in you the best.

As for salaries, the hospital I'm interning at currently has openings for OT (too bad I'm not graduating till next year!) and I know that their STARTING salary is in the mid $50,000 range. My clinical instructor has been working there for 8 years and is a level 3 OT and is making mid to high $70,000 range. So there is money to be made out there!

Anyway, I've said enough for tonight, but I'd be glad to help anyone who has any questions. Although I haven't even THOUGHT about the NBCOT exams yet!
 
I have a school project where the purpose is recruiting young individuals and teaching them about Occupational Therapy and the nature of the work. My group members and I designed a web site (still Under Construction) to help inform people on what OT is about. Take a look if your interested

Click web address
http://www.myspace.com/occupationaltherapyrecuit
 
Hi BigDan,

I am new to this site. I am looking to volunteer at different OT clinics or Hospitals and then applying to some programs for a 2007 entry. I think that OT is a great way to help people acheive optimal living and find it less stressful than nursing.
Thanks for all of you insight with regards to OT. I believe you have what it takes to become doctor. Best, Pinizzo
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad