OCD and Medical Scool ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRONEURON

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello !
I am starting to accumulate some serious tension because of the effects that Med school has on my OCD.
Now hold on for a second, this is not a whining post. I am aware that I have chosen this field and it is my responsibility to handle it. This is exactly the reason for why I am searching for solutions.
I consider that the best strategy is to avoid problems as much as possible, instead of fixing them after they happen. So instead of waiting for my OCD to make a mess out of my life as a medical student , I want to make sure that I do all that I can to prevent problems. Actually I've noticed that many students have smaller or bigger mental diseases, from mild anxiety to severe neurosis, and most of them don't care or " don't have time to care ". I've just had so many problems in the past when I let my OCD get out of hand that I don't want to repeat them.

Can anyone give personal advices/experiences on how to handle the pressure while also having OCD ? It seems quite impossible, because Medical School seems like an OCD field even for non-OCD people.

Thanks in advance !

Members don't see this ad.

What are some examples of instances that trigger your OCD in med school?

Seek out a therapist, STAT

I am starting to accumulate some serious tension because of the effects that Med school has on my OCD.
Now hold on for a second, this is not a whining post. I am aware that I have chosen this field and it is my responsibility to handle it. This is exactly the reason for why I am searching for solutions.
I consider that the best strategy is to avoid problems as much as possible, instead of fixing them after they happen. So instead of waiting for my OCD to make a mess out of my life as a medical student , I want to make sure that I do all that I can to prevent problems. Actually I've noticed that many students have smaller or bigger mental diseases, from mild anxiety to severe neurosis, and most of them don't care or " don't have time to care ". I've just had so many problems in the past when I let my OCD get out of hand that I don't want to repeat them.

Can anyone give personal advices/experiences on how to handle the pressure while also having OCD ? It seems quite impossible, because Medical School seems like an OCD field even for non-OCD people.

Thanks in advance !

Members don't see this ad :)
OCD = medical condition. Go see a physician.

Find a local expert in OCD and cognitive therapy. Doesn't have to be an MD, it could be someone with a Master's. The time you spend in school having panic attacks will far outweigh the time it would have taken to have a weekly appointment with a therapist.

Reactions: 1 users
Find a local expert in OCD and cognitive therapy. Doesn't have to be an MD, it could be someone with a Master's. The time you spend in school having panic attacks will far outweigh the time it would have taken to have a weekly appointment with a therapist.
I agree with this. Learning how to not give in to your compulsions is important.