OCD and Medical Scool ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IRONEURON

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello !
I am starting to accumulate some serious tension because of the effects that Med school has on my OCD.
Now hold on for a second, this is not a whining post. I am aware that I have chosen this field and it is my responsibility to handle it. This is exactly the reason for why I am searching for solutions.
I consider that the best strategy is to avoid problems as much as possible, instead of fixing them after they happen. So instead of waiting for my OCD to make a mess out of my life as a medical student , I want to make sure that I do all that I can to prevent problems. Actually I've noticed that many students have smaller or bigger mental diseases, from mild anxiety to severe neurosis, and most of them don't care or " don't have time to care ". I've just had so many problems in the past when I let my OCD get out of hand that I don't want to repeat them.

Can anyone give personal advices/experiences on how to handle the pressure while also having OCD ? It seems quite impossible, because Medical School seems like an OCD field even for non-OCD people.

Thanks in advance !
 
What are some examples of instances that trigger your OCD in med school?
 
Seek out a therapist, STAT


I am starting to accumulate some serious tension because of the effects that Med school has on my OCD.
Now hold on for a second, this is not a whining post. I am aware that I have chosen this field and it is my responsibility to handle it. This is exactly the reason for why I am searching for solutions.
I consider that the best strategy is to avoid problems as much as possible, instead of fixing them after they happen. So instead of waiting for my OCD to make a mess out of my life as a medical student , I want to make sure that I do all that I can to prevent problems. Actually I've noticed that many students have smaller or bigger mental diseases, from mild anxiety to severe neurosis, and most of them don't care or " don't have time to care ". I've just had so many problems in the past when I let my OCD get out of hand that I don't want to repeat them.

Can anyone give personal advices/experiences on how to handle the pressure while also having OCD ? It seems quite impossible, because Medical School seems like an OCD field even for non-OCD people.

Thanks in advance !
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Find a local expert in OCD and cognitive therapy. Doesn't have to be an MD, it could be someone with a Master's. The time you spend in school having panic attacks will far outweigh the time it would have taken to have a weekly appointment with a therapist.
 
Find a local expert in OCD and cognitive therapy. Doesn't have to be an MD, it could be someone with a Master's. The time you spend in school having panic attacks will far outweigh the time it would have taken to have a weekly appointment with a therapist.
I agree with this. Learning how to not give in to your compulsions is important.