• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Ochem acidities

Deepa100

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Hi,
Does any one find it useful to memorize certain Pka values for alchols, water, caboxylic acids, amines etc.? I did for my Ochem class but I am not sure if I have to for the MCAT. I do have a general order that I will memorize but do I need the actual Pka values? Will it help?

Kaustikos

Antibiotics 4 Lyfe
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Hi,
Does any one find it useful to memorize certain Pka values for alchols, water, caboxylic acids, amines etc.? I did for my Ochem class but I am not sure if I have to for the MCAT. I do have a general order that I will memorize but do I need the actual Pka values? Will it help?

No way in hell. They'll tell you.

About the Ads

RSAgator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
I think it's MUCH more important to know relative acidities and what kinds of things contribute to acidity. For instance the hydrogen at the alpha carbon is acidic because of the resonance in the carbonyl. The MCAT is much more focused on qualitative knowledge (carboxylic acid is more acidic than aldehyde) than on quantitative (carboxylic acid has a pKa of x whereas aldehyde has a pKa of y).

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
An Igloo
  1. Medical Student
I think it's MUCH more important to know relative acidities and what kinds of things contribute to acidity. For instance the hydrogen at the alpha carbon is acidic because of the resonance in the carbonyl. The MCAT is much more focused on qualitative knowledge (carboxylic acid is more acidic than aldehyde) than on quantitative (carboxylic acid has a pKa of x whereas aldehyde has a pKa of y).

Yes exactly. Comparative trends are very important, but specifics are not.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.