Deepa100

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Status
Hi,
Does any one find it useful to memorize certain Pka values for alchols, water, caboxylic acids, amines etc.? I did for my Ochem class but I am not sure if I have to for the MCAT. I do have a general order that I will memorize but do I need the actual Pka values? Will it help?

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
Hi,
Does any one find it useful to memorize certain Pka values for alchols, water, caboxylic acids, amines etc.? I did for my Ochem class but I am not sure if I have to for the MCAT. I do have a general order that I will memorize but do I need the actual Pka values? Will it help?

No way in hell. They'll tell you.

Franksta1118

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I read somewhere, either Princeton or tbr, that a good trend to remember was CPAC, Carboxylic Acid > Phenol > Alcohol > Carbonyl alpha hydrogen, just as a general trend going from most acidic to least acidic, I don't have the associated pKa values but 5, 10, 15, 20 seems to ring a bell...

RSAgator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
Status
I think it's MUCH more important to know relative acidities and what kinds of things contribute to acidity. For instance the hydrogen at the alpha carbon is acidic because of the resonance in the carbonyl. The MCAT is much more focused on qualitative knowledge (carboxylic acid is more acidic than aldehyde) than on quantitative (carboxylic acid has a pKa of x whereas aldehyde has a pKa of y).

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
An Igloo
Status
Medical Student
I think it's MUCH more important to know relative acidities and what kinds of things contribute to acidity. For instance the hydrogen at the alpha carbon is acidic because of the resonance in the carbonyl. The MCAT is much more focused on qualitative knowledge (carboxylic acid is more acidic than aldehyde) than on quantitative (carboxylic acid has a pKa of x whereas aldehyde has a pKa of y).
Yes exactly. Comparative trends are very important, but specifics are not.