Ochem and Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakashi2016

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently have a C- in Physics II and D in Ochem II. Would it be okay if I retook these after I applied? I plan to apply May/June 2021 and retake January 2022. Thoughts, advise?

Members don't see this ad.

A c- in physics won’t kill you. A D in ochem 2 will. I’d retake ochem and do well in it before applying. I mean ochem is literally one of the course adcoms use to gauge critical/abstract thinking. How’s the rest of your stats/gpa looking? If it’s all flying high at above a 3.7 then maybe it’ll be ok but I still think it’s a black eye

A c- in physics won’t kill you. A D in ochem 2 will. I’d retake ochem and do well in it before applying. I mean ochem is literally one of the course adcoms use to gauge critical/abstract thinking. How’s the rest of your stats/gpa looking? If it’s all flying high at above a 3.7 then maybe it’ll be ok but I still think it’s a black eye
I was under the impression that it was okay to retake as long as requirements are completed anytime before matriculation.

Stats are around average for DO- 3.3gpa, 3.6 non science, 3.0 science 501-503 MCAT. Currently in a masters of anatomical science program taking only graduate level science classes like a Anatomy, physiology, neuroscience, cancer biology to demonstrate I can handle science classes, I just started college at 16 and lacked maturity/discipline. Currently have a 3.9 in the program, will finish by 2022 (will also be 22y/o).

Also a minority student (African). Looking to apply only to DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that it was okay to retake as long as requirements are completed anytime before matriculation.

Stats are around average for DO- 3.3gpa, 3.6 non science, 3.0 science 501-503 MCAT. Currently in a masters of anatomical science program taking only graduate level science classes like a Anatomy, physiology, neuroscience, cancer biology to demonstrate I can handle science classes, I just started college at 16 and lacked maturity/discipline. Currently have a 3.9 in the program, will finish by 2022 (will also be 22y/o).

Also a minority student (African). Looking to apply only to DO schools.
Perhaps taking those classes summer 2021 would be a better idea than January 2022

Well if that’s the case then it might be ok? I personally wouldn’t apply with a d in ochem but if you have a strong track record beyond that, a solid reason why, and are URM, it could be ok. @Goro should be able to help you more