Ochem Failure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDO25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I did bad on my FIRST ochem exam. I got a 37% (the average being 43%.) Anyways here's my class breakdown.

Lab-15%
Participation-10%
Exam 1,2, and 3 each are divided equally
Exam1- 100 points
Exm 2-100 points
Exam3-100 points
-The exams are worth 75% of grade and there is a curve. so each exam is worth 25%

I'm solid for lab and participation. And my exam 1 was a disaster. But each exam is weighted the same. Do I still have a chance? What grade can I get if I bust my butt ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so I did bad on my FIRST ochem exam. I got a 37% (the average being 43%.) Anyways here's my class breakdown.

Lab-15%
Participation-10%
Exam1- 100 points
Exm 2-100 points
Exam3-100 points
-The exams are worth 75% of grade and there is a curve. so each exam is worth 25%

I'm solid for lab and participation. And my exam 1 was a disaster. But each exam is weighted the same. Do I still have a chance? What grade can I get if I bust my butt ?

If the average was a 43% then I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Reactions: 1 users
If the average is 43% the professor will curve the grades at the end but they don't want to tell you that and just want to see you squirm

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If the average is 43% the professor will curve the grades at the end but they don't want to tell you that and just want to see you squirm
What should i do? Do i have a chance at getting a good grade?

What should i do? Do i have a chance at getting a good grade?
That is entirely up to you and changing the way you study. Try different study methods, experiment. I liked buying a white board and marker and going through stuff over and over. I also did poor on my first ochem exam, worked hard, changed how I studied entirely, got a B+, which isn't great but it shouldn't hold me back. You can do it, don't start going too neurotic just yet. And it's impossible for us to say if you could get an A if you got 100 on each remaining test, or at least the high score, without knowing how your professor curves. Mine just made the highest grade 100%, which sucked if you had a genius in the class, but if you get it curved to a C average, you haven't gotten too far behind. Is your third exam the ACS final?

Lab-15%
Participation-10%
Exam1- 100 points
Exm 2-100 points
Exam3-100 points

What the heck kind of ochem exam has a 43% average?... Sorry for your try hard professor OP. He/she will likely curve the 43 to a B when all is said and done. I think you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What the heck kind of ochem exam has a 43% average?... Sorry for your try hard professor OP. He/she will likely curve the 43 to a B when all is said and done. I think you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Actually a 43% for Ochem is not unheard of. Especially older professors that curve

Place I took Ochem at the averages were always high 40s with a big curve.. you're probably on pace to get like a C, C+. If you kill the final you could probably get a B. Youtube vids helped me a lot with o chem 1.

Haha sounds like my school. Averages were consistently in 50s with no curve in the class. 25 started, 14 finished. In my experience a lot of people in my class started off rough and then improved. Organic takes time to get used to. My advice would be to double down on the time you spend studying outside of class trying different study methods. Spend time studying everyday, ask people in your class if they want to form a study group, do practice problems from the textbook and then do them again. If you don't do better on the second exam, I would consider dropping it (provided it doesn't get marked as a withdrawal on your transcript) and trying again next year. You can work out the math yourself to see how you need to do on the upcoming exams to save your grade, and only you know your ability and your situation, and whether or not the class is going to be curved. It never hurts to ask your professor for advice either.

Alright guys. so each exam is weighted equally. Also the average score (the 43%) is a B-. So instead of average being a solid C it's a B-. Hopefully this changes my situation? I still have two exams worth the same amount of points. (25% each exam, 3 exams total including the one i just took)