Ochem - For those who have taken the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My DAT is next Saturday. I feel like I need work in O chem. I know the road maps, I know Sn1, Sn2, E1, E2. Apart from those two things, what would you recommend studying for the last week?

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely nothing, you are already set!

just remember to keep it simple. :sleep:

Looking over the "DAT Test Specifications" thing it suggests you know stereochemistry (enantiomers, diastereomers, etc.), aromatics (resonance, concept of aromaticity, etc.), spectroscopy, SN1/SN2/E1/E2, nomenclature, individual reactions (Grignard, Wittig, Diels-Alder, "aldol reaction", etc.) and acid-base chemistry.

Hopefully you know that stuff so you don't get freaked out :laugh:

My DAT is next Saturday. I feel like I need work in O chem. I know the road maps, I know Sn1, Sn2, E1, E2. Apart from those two things, what would you recommend studying for the last week?
All the other reactions that you haven't mentioned. Knowing the road maps, Sn1, Sn2, E1, and E2 is not sufficient by any means.
Hopefully, you have a good understanding of the other topics you haven't mentioned here.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the other reactions that you haven't mentioned. Knowing the road maps, Sn1, Sn2, E1, and E2 is not sufficient by any means.
Hopefully, you have a good understanding of the other topics you haven't mentioned here.

Yeah I understand that's not sufficient.
I guess I'm kind of wondering if there was something that stood out as "I wish I had known that a little better" or something like that you know?

Yeah I understand that's not sufficient.
I guess I'm kind of wondering if there was something that stood out as "I wish I had known that a little better" or something like that you know?
Well you will most likely see topics like:

-Proton NMR
-Nomenclature
-Distinguishing between aromatic, non-aromatic, anti-aromatic

I'm not guaranteeing you'll see these, but if you think you've studied everything else, I think these are good topics to review.

Well you will most likely see topics like:

-Proton NMR
-Nomenclature
-Distinguishing between aromatic, non-aromatic, anti-aromatic

I'm not guaranteeing you'll see these, but if you think you've studied everything else, I think these are good topics to review.

Thanks!

I am just starting to understand some Organic Chemistry such as Bonding,SN1,SN2,E1,E2,STOICHMETRY. But I am not understanding these road maps.Just starting to learn the reactions. Is there a good way to learn the reactions? Can someone help me?

Rhonda