ochem grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symmetry11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much do the top Caribbean schools (especially sgu) consider your ochem grades?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think that for any medical school that undergrad GPA/grades are important to get in. I have heard of people getting C that get in... Granted that all other factors are fluffy.

How's your MCAT score? My ochem grades were terrible (failed the first time) but I got into sgu just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken the mcat yet. what was your mcat score and gpa?

how did you explain your gpa to them? My friend who goes to Ross told me the interviewer just got his transcript and went through all of his bad grades and asked for an explanation for each that lead to his 2.8 cGPA. I hope nothing like that happens if I get an interview with sgu.

My undergrad was a mess for various personal reasons, namely revolving around my wife's chronic illness, which pulled me out of school for weeks at a time. Also, I made up for it with over a year's experience working at a hospital, and my strong MCAT. The MCAT is not an obstacle. It's a tool- really the only one you've got- to help show them you've improved.

Sgu never asked me to explain. But I took the initiative and explained it anyway in my essay to them. I told them the truth: my wife's illness turned my interest in medicine into a passion.