oChem Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MarisaPharmD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering if anyone has a mnemonic to remember the iso-propyl,butly,pentyl; sec butyl , tert-butyl..I'm having trouble remembering those..thanks.
 
Are you having trouble correlating structures to names? If so, then my advice to you is to make flashcards and/or draw the structures out while correlating to the name. Do note the significance of the sec-, iso-, tert- prefixes as each of these prefixes have the same meaning over different carbon length chains.
 
Well I understand the Iso is bonded to 2 methyls at the terminal, and neo is 3 methyls at the terminal, but I'm not understanding how the tert and sec exactly come into play.
 
Well I understand the Iso is bonded to 2 methyls at the terminal, and neo is 3 methyls at the terminal, but I'm not understanding how the tert and sec exactly come into play.

tert- = tertiary connection
sec- = secondary connection.

That is, a tert- chain will have your carbon chain arranged where the first carbon of said chain (connecting to the rest of the organic compound) will be a tertiary carbon. Likewise, a sec-chain will have the first carbon being a secondary carbon.

For tert-butyl, notice how the carbon that is connected to the rest of the structure is a tertiary carbon with three methyl groups attached = 4 carbons = butyl group

For sec-butyl, notice how that same first carbon is only a secondary carbon where there's a methyl and ethyl group attached to make the four carbon connector.

This same concept applies to chains with more than four carbons. Therefore, that's why I said that it's better to learn the concept than to memorize stuff you may not understand.😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know any personally, but try doing a google search. I have found some good mnemonics that way. Definitely being able to understand though is better than having a mnemonic. If you have too many, you start forgetting what goes to what.