OChem Question 4 from destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgdats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I tried to search for this question, but i couldn't find it, so this problem must be really easy. But how does monochlorination of 2 methybutane result in 6 stereoisomers? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

6 is correct. chlorination at C-1 makes C-2 a chiral center, so that will give 2. Chlorination at C-2 will not create any chiral centers (so 1 here). Chlorination at C-3 will make C-3 a chiral center (2 here) and chlorination at C-4 will not make any chiral centers (1 more here). So a total of 6. (But all 6 are not stereoisomers of each other I guess since they have different arrangements of bonds. I think the question might have been "how many isomers result, counting stereoisomers separately?" no?

6 is correct. chlorination at C-1 makes C-2 a chiral center, so that will give 2. Chlorination at C-2 will not create any chiral centers (so 1 here). Chlorination at C-3 will make C-3 a chiral center (2 here) and chlorination at C-4 will not make any chiral centers (1 more here). So a total of 6. (But all 6 are not stereoisomers of each other I guess since they have different arrangements of bonds. I think the question might have been "how many isomers result, counting stereoisomers separately?" no?

Yeah that's right!