OChem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MolarBear541

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple organic chemistry questions. My notes from Chad conflicts with notes I took from Bootcamp. Does a bulky base undergo an E1 reaction, since it leads to a minor product? As for halogens like I-, Br-, and Cl-, does it undergo SN1 reaction?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a couple organic chemistry questions. My notes from Chad conflicts with notes I took from Bootcamp. Does a bulky base undergo an E1 reaction, since it leads to a minor product? As for halogens like I-, Br-, and Cl-, does it undergo SN1 reaction?

I thought it was E2, but less substituted for bulky bases.

Rarely will you see this.....for the DAT exam, never. Big bulky bases such as LDA, DBU, T-butoxide will perform the E2 reaction and preferentially give the Zaitsev product. The E1 reaction is done on secondary and tertiary alcohols........as well as tertiary halides with heat. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users