ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chemgirl35

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i will have taken no ochem when i go to take the pcat this august. what should i do? I read on here that Kaplan's PCAT book wasn't enough. How should i study for ochem? Is it possible for me to do?
 
i will have taken no ochem when i go to take the pcat this august. what should i do? I read on here that Kaplan's PCAT book wasn't enough. How should i study for ochem? Is it possible for me to do?

I wouldnt say its impossible to do but it would surely be a challenge to face orgo in PCAT w/o taking the class. But if you are taking a Kaplan course during summer it would help you out a loooot. I know some of my friends who took PCAT in oct while they were still enrolled in orgo 1, and by that time they covered almost all basics of orgo section. Also i would recomment MCAT Exam Crackers for chem. Anywyz Good Luck. :luck:
 
uhh oh. i was hoping there was only a few questions of ochem on the test. what if i just reviewed the basics? do you think i'd be okay?

The chemistry section is 40% OChem. Topics you must know include but not limited to:
1. SN1 and SN2 reactions
2. E1 and E2 reactions
3. Nomenclature of alkanes to alkynes
4. Functional groups

Those are the ones I remember for now. I'm sure somebody else will chime in.
 
The chemistry section is 40% OChem. Topics you must know include but not limited to:
1. SN1 and SN2 reactions
2. E1 and E2 reactions
3. Nomenclature of alkanes to alkynes
4. Functional groups

Those are the ones I remember for now. I'm sure somebody else will chime in.

Thats about it. I took it and got a 90 something on the chem section with no organic chemistry experience (as far as classes go). Its pretty basic stuff if you ask me, easier than the gen chem calculations without a calculator.

Just read over some simple organic review books and you will be more than fine. Just remember... dont dont dont just memorize reactions, try and actually understand why things happen as far as nucleophiles/electrophiles. This will make the questions that may be "tricky" for other ppl seem like cake to you😀.