OCPM books ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imgtnold

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strating OCPM this Fall, and was wondering what books were necessary and which ones did'nt need to be purchased...I know I will need to get an anatomy book. What book does OCPM use for anatomy (might search Ebay for a used copy and start reading now)???

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told from a few current OCPM students to just take it easy this summer and not worry about books and reading yet. In many cases our "big brothers/sisters" will have the used books we need or tell us which ones to get and which ones to avoid.

I am following this advice. WIth that said it really bugs me that I am not reading something before school starts to make sure i am up to speed.

dont buy any books until they mail you the list. and it is not neccessary to buy every single on of those. Most are in the library on reserve. It would be best to get an anatomy text and atlas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an upcoming second year (First year student in summer classes) at OCPM. All I can say is enjoy your summer!!!! Don't worry about books or anything else. It will all come eventually. I would say that sometime in July, they will send you a packet of medical terminology for you to learn. School will start before you know it. So enjoy the summer and don't worry about anything! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Hi Imgtnold; no you will not be the only older male at OCPM this fall. I am 31 and will be starting with you at OCPM. I am a dad and my wife will be with me 80% of the time.
I have taken notice that some have given you advise not to study or read over the summer; but my advise for you would be to look over material you may need to strengthen with. For instance through-out my graduate and undergraduate training I have always been a stellar chemistry student and have taken biochemistry at three major Philadelphia medical schools, therefore I feel well prepared for biochem at OCPM. I have also taken a course in gross anatomy, and teach A&P as an adjunct professor, so I feel confident with anatomy as well. Anyway, against the advise of other OCPM students, I will continue to study up on biomedical science courses which I have not had much experience with like pathology and clinical correlations. Like you I have also asked about text books, but had no luck as it seems like all OCPM can’t speak about it or something. LOL! In any case I am sure you can find some anatomy to review this summer and concentrate on skeletal and muscular systems as they seem to be the hardest for most A&P students. For muscles know origins, insertions, innervations, etc... For physiology, you can review basic concepts such as reproductive system, urinary phys, GI system, respiratory mechanics circulatory system phys, muscle phys, and nerve phys. You could get yourself (perhaps you already have) a few graduate textbooks on ebay for physiology, biochem, embryology, and pathology but I would not suggest reading them literally as they could serve as a guide for a packet that you will eventually get. My experience as a graduate student suggests that most medical/graduate programs give you packets, or home-made books for the biomedical sciences to narrow down the information. A text will merely be your guide. Anyway I am looking forward to meeting you this fall and working hard together.

I am a second year at OCPM. Don't worry about books at this time. Wait until you get to school and your big brother/sister will inform you on what you need. Enjoy the summer!