OCPM internship experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just came back from doing a 5 day internship at the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine and had an awesome time. It is open to college sophmores, juniors, and seniors or anyone who has completed one year of undergraduate study. I think it is an excellent opportunity for those individuals who want to find out more about podiatry and what it has to offer. Of course, it also provides a lot of information on the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine as well. Actually, I am pretty set on doing pod medicine after completing this week.

I believe OCPM has six internships a year, 2 in January, 2 in June, and 2 in July. For the January internships, you stay with a first or second year student but I think you stay at the Case dorms for the summer programs. OCPM covers your cab fare to and from the airport and provides lunch everyday. We also had one dinner at OCPM where a practicing podiatrist came in and talked to us, answered all of our questions, and more. There is no cost for the program itself except for a few meals and airfare.

The great thing about the internship is that there is a ton of flexibility with what you want to do there. If you want to see a surgical skills class, then just talk to the internship director and you can sit in on the course. I got to shadow 3rd and 4th year students along with podiatrists at the on-campus foot and ankle clinic, attend classes, shadow students during their ER rotation at South Pointe Hospital, shadow 4th year students and doctors at the VA hospital, and much more. I even got to go to the lower anatomy lab with the first year students and help "pick" away fat, ask questions, etc. I spoke with faculty, practicing podiatrists, students, the administration, and more.

We got to take an outside tour of the new OCPM building as well. It is really beautiful and they are currently renovating the inside and building lecture halls right now. They will be making the transition to the new building this summer. Yes, they are closing down the foot and ankle clinic on campus but OCPM is making a brand new one closer to downtown (closer downtown than where the current one is actually) and renovating/remodeling another one as well (not positive about exact location). Also, They are adding Huron Hospital (trauma) which is part of the cleveland clinic for rotations.

Overall, I had an great experience this week. The administration at the school were really nice and my student host was awesome. I found out so much about the profession and the school as well. I encourage those interested in the profession to check out the OCPM summer internships. PM me if you have any questions. Take care.

-Bryan

Members don't see this ad.