Ocpm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can any of you comment on the Ohio college? have been accepted with a presidential scholarship that can be renewed for all four years. How are the facilities and clinical rotations?

I feel preasured because they want my deposit by November 1st. I have interviews coming up at Temple, California, and DMU but, I will not be able to go on all of them before the deadline for OCPM. What should I do? I don't want to give up a spot with 50,000 dollars over four years and not get in. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know Phil, that's a lot of money. I would try to schedule the other interviews before the deadline, at least the ones that you are most interested in. Im sure that if you called the schools and told them you would like to be seen earlier because of a deadline from Ohio they would consider it. It sounds like you have some leverage. So did you just do a phone interview? I cant believe they offered you that without seeing you in person. Im assuming because you asked how the facilities were.

Personally, I'd be weary of anyone that offered me all of that without ever bringing me in. But that's just me. It is a lot of money. It's a lot easier to compare programs after you've visited a few. I would at least try to get to Ohio and then a few other programs that are at the top of your list. Good luck. I work on the national level with other schools so I know people from OCPM. However, I am not that familiar with the program and don't feel that I could accurately comment on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
jonwill said:
Personally, I'd be weary of anyone that offered me all of that without ever bringing me in. But that's just me. It is a lot of money. It's a lot easier to compare programs after you've visited a few. I would at least try to get to Ohio and then a few other programs that are at the top of your list. Good luck. I work on the national level with other schools so I know people from OCPM. However, I am not that familiar with the program and don't feel that I could accurately comment on it.

Thanks for all of your comments. My father has stage 4 lung cancer and is under Hospice care. I explained all of this to the schools and some of them have allowed me to do a phone interview because I can't leave my area right now. The acceptance is contingent on a visit to campus. The scholarship is alot of money and I am fortunate to get it. The renewal is based on my academic standing at the end of each year.

I have my interview for DMU next Thursday. Dean Yoho and the assistant dean will be doing the interview over the phone. If the interview goes well then I will get a conditional acceptance on a visit to campus. Is there a way I can find info on the faculty of DMU. The faculty directory on the DMU website doesn't work. I am really pumped about the interview and the possibility of going to DMU. Do you think it would be a huge mistake to turn down that scholarship to go to a different school.

I really appreciate the schools for allowing me to do this. I really don't see the problem with it as long as I visit the campus before matriculation.

Oncogene

Im sorry to hear about your father. Based on your unique circumstances I dont find it odd at all that the schools are accommodating you. I would be however if this was a normal situation. 2 yrs ago Ohio offered me a phone interview without a site visit. That is why I asked. Good luck on your interview. Dr. Yoho and Smith are really cool. Dont let them scare you.

hey man...srry about ur father....i can tell u that ocpm is a very strong school...this is based on their records with their rotating students and also their residencies....their comprehensive detail in lower anatomy is excellent and the staff is amazing...best advice i'll give u is to go where u see urself comfortable....so i recommend u seein the other schools as well...and go where u'll be happy adn where u see urself succeeding of course....at the end of the day there r only 8 schools and each school will offer something different that fits each different student....so ur in good shape...i would put down the deposit...and visit a couple of other schools....and don knock down the scholarship man....any money is good to cover those costs....ur still gettin an excellent education and a great opportunity for top notch residency

Oncogene,
OCPM is a decent school overall, but if I were to do it all over again I would probably have gone elsewhere. I would say that the didactic training is excellent as some of the professors during your first 2 years are the same as the Case Western Reserve dental/nursing school professors. You also get numerous well knowledgeable guest lecturers that work at the cleveland clinic foundation. However the clinical rotations can be frustrating at times as it is not very busy generally :) , although I don't know how the other schools fare in that area. The school is planning on moving to another location (possibly in 2 years) so the facilities may be better once that happens, but as for now the facility is old and pretty run down, again I don't know if that is typical of the other schools as well.

Hope this helps. :)

stinkyfeet said:
Oncogene,
OCPM is a decent school overall, but if I were to do it all over again I would probably have gone elsewhere. I would say that the didactic training is excellent as some of the professors during your first 2 years are the same as the Case Western Reserve dental/nursing school professors. You also get numerous well knowledgeable guest lecturers that work at the cleveland clinic foundation. However the clinical rotations can be frustrating at times as it is not very busy generally :) , although I don't know how the other schools fare in that area. The school is planning on moving to another location (possibly in 2 years) so the facilities may be better once that happens, but as for now the facility is old and pretty run down, again I don't know if that is typical of the other schools as well.

Hope this helps. :)

can anyone tell me if i could get into ocpm, scpm, dmu, or tuspm with a mcat 23 science gpa 3.42 overall gpa 3.43 non-science gpa 3.42

I think you would get an interview based on your numbers. The rest is up to you during the interview. The main things the interviewers look for are that you are genuine in your interest in podiatry and that you are not some loon. Have you shadowed a podiatrist? What was your experience like?

Oncogene

I think you would get an interview based on your numbers. The rest is up to you during the interview. The main things the interviewers look for are that you have genuine in your interest in podiatry and that you are not some loon. Have you shadowed a podiatrist? What was your experience like?

Oncogene

jonwill said:
Numbers look fine. I agree with oncogene. A good interview should get you in.

do you guys think i would get an interview within a week or so if i submitted the application today to ocpm, scpm, tuspm, and dmu without having letters of recommendation ready for a month or so. and also how would my chances be hurt if i submitted the application a month from now.

shawmahmed said:
do you guys think i would get an interview within a week or so if i submitted the application today to ocpm, scpm, tuspm, and dmu without having letters of recommendation ready for a month or so. and also how would my chances be hurt if i submitted the application a month from now.

The interview itself or an interview date? I'm willing to bet that if you applied today, you'd have interview dates for all of them before next Friday. However, it is still decently early so waiting a little probably wouldn't hurt your chances that bad. Most, if not all programs, don't expect to have your letters of rec when you apply. As long as they get them before the interview itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion?

Never make this decision based primarily upon $!

There are so many other things involved with any school.
Everything from profs old tests floating around (which really kind of irked me) to the facilities....

I'd probably not like things about other schools too. Plus, they might be things that you maybe wouldn't care about and soon enough, I'll be on my happy way...

Put some effort into making this decision, afterall, it's kind of important.

whiskers said:
My opinion?

Never make this decision based primarily upon $!

There are so many other things involved with any school.
Everything from profs old tests floating around (which really kind of irked me) to the facilities....

I tend to agree with stinkyfeet though, there are things I don't personally like about the school, but oh well, I'd probably not like things about other schools too. Plus, they might be things that you maybe wouldn't care about and soon enough, I'll be on my happy way...

Put some effort into making this decision, afterall, it's kind of important.

Well said whiskers.

I was just looking into a few Podiatric Schools, and wondering, how tough is it to get into OCPM ? How competitive would my stats have to be for consideration?

Thanks for any input

UofT-Girl said:
I was just looking into a few Podiatric Schools, and wondering, how tough is it to get into OCPM ? How competitive would my stats have to be for consideration?

Thanks for any input

in full honesty...if u have the 'minimum' requirements then its not very difficult at all...unless u say something outrageous at the interview, u should be ok....that being said, if u have anywhere in the 3.0 range with MCATs over 21 and all their required courses, then ur ok....

also judgin by ur user name, i assume u went to the Univeristy of Toronto. They tend to give special consideration to U of T graduates and graduates from the more 'elite' schools in the continent...

feel free to pm me if u have further questions...

Get this krap. I just got off the phone with the dean lott at the ohio school and she just told me that I waived my right for a campus visit by doing a telephone interview! What! How can they offer me a scholarship and say I am not welcome to see the school? I am getting the picture they are insecure about their campus and want to sucker me into something. What do you guy's think? It is so strange.

oncogene said:
Get this krap. I just got off the phone with the dean lott at the ohio school and she just told me that I waived my right for a campus visit by doing a telephone interview! What! How can they offer me a scholarship and say I am not welcome to see the school? I am getting the picture they are insecure about their campus and want to sucker me into something. What do you guy's think? It is so strange.

did you get admitted because i want to apply to ocpm also.

Wow! I cant think of a reason why they would tell you not to visit the campus unless they thought you were asking for another interview. That is very odd.

oncogene said:
You ought to ask how the school wants to arrange the correspondence courses, if you're not welcome to the campus.

shawmahmed said:
can anyone tell me if i could get into ocpm, scpm, dmu, or tuspm with a mcat 23 science gpa 3.42 overall gpa 3.43 non-science gpa 3.42

yeah, you got a good shot at OCPM.

oncogene said:

Hi. I attended the weeklong podiatry intership program at OCPM in January of 05 (I don't know if they still have the program or not) and I had my interview there the same week. I toured the facilities as well as the surrounding hospitals where upperclassmen rotate. I also sat in on a few classes. The staff was VERY friendly, and the professors seem good. However, my impression of the school itself, I'm sorry to say, was less than subpar. The school is a single building, and horribly rundown. Dirty, putrid smelling water was dripping from the ceiling in multiple locations and the anatomy lab is claustophobic and very poorly ventilated.

I would aviod the whole state of Ohio unless you had a dying passion to be a professional Whirly ball player. it is the only reason I can think of to go to ohio ( oh and the cheap beer) :laugh:

www.whirlyball.com

krabmas said:
I would aviod the whole state of Ohio unless you had a dying passion to be a professional Whirly ball player. it is the only reason I can think of to go to ohio ( oh and the cheap beer) :laugh:

www.whirlyball.com

As you may well have guessed as DMU did so well in the whirlyball tourney, we often sneak over to Ohio on the weekend to practice our whirlyball skills. Our tuition includes a season pass!

:D
jonwill said:
As you may well have guessed as DMU did so well in the whirlyball tourney, we often sneak over to Ohio on the weekend to practice our whirlyball skills. Our tuition includes a season pass!

were you the guys that won?

after we s_cked a big one the first game we went out to lose the rest but then I figured out the key to success in whirly ball and we beat the real losers like 40 - 8. So we did not win the post cards of ohio :mad:

if you look at the website you'll see that there is whiry ball in IL also.

Maybe we can find something almost as entertaining in vegas for the summer meeting.

Speaking of vegas - anyone going to ACFAS next week? I'm leaving for vegas monday - yipeee

krabmas said:
:D

were you the guys that won?

after we s_cked a big one the first game we went out to lose the rest but then I figured out the key to success in whirly ball and we beat the real losers like 40 - 8. So we did not win the post cards of ohio :mad:

if you look at the website you'll see that there is whiry ball in IL also.

Maybe we can find something almost as entertaining in vegas for the summer meeting.

Speaking of vegas - anyone going to ACFAS next week? I'm leaving for vegas monday - yipeee

I had a free trip but passed it up to go to the Carribean.