OCT 15th Oat

chachi2579

chachi2579
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I dont know about anyone else but the OAT today was rough. Oct 15 written version. The bio section was not even remotely close to the Kaplan study guide OAT and DAT? Anyone have a feed back for me?

Members don't see this ad.

OH..i glad i'm not the only one who thought it was hard =( the depth of knowledge in the questions (especially bio) seemed much more advanced than the study oat (the blue and white book)

hey guys. i wrote the oat today too. i found the bio and reading comp pretty straight forwards. the inorganic was alright as well (although a bit more difficult than the former two). the organic was the killer for me. anyone else found the organic section absolutely insane? i found myself guessing for about 80% of the questions! the physics was my second most difficult part. i hate physics. there was, i found, way to much emphasis on the memorization of formulas and equations for this test i think. i bombed it, i feel. the math part was good. i got about 30 questions right i imagine, so not too bad. anyone else find organic hard tho? or is the feeling everyone gets coming out of a standardized exam like the oat? i'm concerned to say the least. anyone else have anything to say about the exam?

thanks.

I also took the OAT exam today, and I am not feeling very confident in my performance either. :scared: I studied quite extensively for this test, and I also took the Kaplan course, and did a lot of practice tests. However, I did feel that the bio section and the organic chem section was harder than I expected. On the physics section, I dont think i did that well either , the formulas I used somehow did not give me a answer that was part of the choices, and I found myself having to skip the problem and then going back to it and just basically guessing. The QR was not that bad, the questions were not as difficult as the practice tests, but I wish I had more time, I would have done much better. I am glad I'm not the only one who thought the test was rough,
and reading everyone's post has comforted me alot, thanks guys :) :love:

Does any know how the "normalization" of the scores will work? Is it based on the national performance ( all over the US) or just with the group of people that you took it with in the same testing center on that day?

Anyways, I hope that we all do well :) Good luck guys. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
i wrote the oct. 15 oat in canada. is it the same as the oct 15 usa one? in any case, it was difficult.

thanks.

I agree the bio section of the test was difficult. I thought going in that this section would be the best for me considering I was a Biology major. I start taking the test and realized I had seriously under-estimated the difficulty of this section. However, during the break, the rest of the test takers had the same feelings on the bio section so I'm not terribly worried right now.

The chem sections were actually easier than I anticipated. Sure, I was completely lost on some organic questions, but overall it seemed pretty straightforward. Physics was okay. I just wish I had more time on the QR. I had to just guess on the last 8 or so because I ran out of time. We'll see in a few weeks how I did and I hope we all scored as well as we wanted. Good luck in the application process!!

chachi2579 said:
Well I dont know about anyone else but the OAT today was rough. Oct 15 written version. The bio section was not even remotely close to the Kaplan study guide OAT and DAT? Anyone have a feed back for me?

When you say that the bio section was hard, do you mean the entire biological sciences section, or jus the biology part? If it was just the biology part, what about it was hard? Was there a lot of biochem, or ecology, or hard physiology questions?

Thanks.

the biology section within the natural science section.
There were some questions about microbiology and bacteriology that I havent taken a class in yet and did not recall going over them in the Kaplan review notes.

I also took the OAT on the 15th. I am not feeling overly confident the physics and QR may have killed me. Although I am not in the best frame of mind at this time. I am from new orleans and everything being ripped out from underneath me a few weeks before the exam doesn't help the situation. Sorry just venting.

loantrinh said:
I also took the OAT exam today, and I am not feeling very confident in my performance either. :scared: I studied quite extensively for this test, and I also took the Kaplan course, and did a lot of practice tests. However, I did feel that the bio section and the organic chem section was harder than I expected. On the physics section, I dont think i did that well either , the formulas I used somehow did not give me a answer that was part of the choices, and I found myself having to skip the problem and then going back to it and just basically guessing. The QR was not that bad, the questions were not as difficult as the practice tests, but I wish I had more time, I would have done much better. I am glad I'm not the only one who thought the test was rough,
and reading everyone's post has comforted me alot, thanks guys :) :love:

Does any know how the "normalization" of the scores will work? Is it based on the national performance ( all over the US) or just with the group of people that you took it with in the same testing center on that day?

Anyways, I hope that we all do well :) Good luck guys. :luck:

Hi there,

I am taking the kaplan course right now and I am taking the OAT in two weeks. Did you feel that the kaplan oat midterm and final accurately represented the real oat?

thanks

The Kaplan course was very helpful in helping me review the concepts,
but the midterms and practice tests are definitely harder than the real OAT,
and not everything that I studied in the Kaplan course was tested on in the real OAT, and some things that Kaplan did'nt talk alot about was Cell biology and experiments was on there.
I feel that the OAT questions were not as in lenghty as the Kaplan questions, but I am still afraid that I might have chosen the wrong answers, because of over analyzation.
I am impatiently waiting for my results to come, I hope I did all good :scared:

Good luck on your exam!

is it worth the $1000? have they modified the course so that it works well for those prepping for the computerized OAT? can their online $1000 version be done over the course of say 9 months or do they make you jam it in in 2-3 months like they do with their classroom course?

gsinccom said:
is it worth the $1000? have they modified the course so that it works well for those prepping for the computerized OAT? can their online $1000 version be done over the course of say 9 months or do they make you jam it in in 2-3 months like they do with their classroom course?

I took the classroom version, so I wouldnt be able to tell u what the online class would be like.

I think theres probably a limit to how long you can be enrolled in the class for.
They also have a higher score guarantee program, if you are not happy with ur score, or not ready to take the test, you can continue on taking the course with no extra charge.

If you need motivation to study then I do suggest taking the class. I liked it because my Kaplan teacher gave us hints and tricks on how to tackle questions that are not mentioned in the book.
If you like independent studying then just purchase the book and review it on your own.
I also had access to online resources, and took practice tests that resembles the way it is presented in the computerized version.

Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
gsinccom said:
are you referring to the $32 one?

I used the one from the Kaplan course that is white with big blue letters saying not for resale. ;)

3eb4me said:
I used the one from the Kaplan course that is white with big blue letters saying not for resale. ;)

do you have a internet link to this book or remember how much it costs?

gsinccom said:

I'm curious about what you mean by "does it work well for those prepping for the computerized OAT?" I've only taken the computerized version, so I'm not sure what the written is like... but aren't they the exact same material???

http://www.kaptest.com/catalog/templates/product.jhtml?PRODID=kprod18230101&rcid=7500005

http://www.kaptest.com/repository/t...etry/Our_Programs/OAT_Prep/OP_oat_online.html

I'm curious to know who has just used the blue book (first pasted link above) and who has used the course (second pasted link above)?

Is the course worth the money and if not what would be good study materials (in addition to TopScore, which I just purchased)? Isn't Topscore just 3 practice tests? There are no review books or subject tests with Topscore are there? I have been out of science classes and undergrad for 5 years and am worried I need review and not just practice tests. what would be a good strategy for me?

http://www.testprepreview.com/ - anyone know much about OAT prep from this site; this is the same as http://www.oat-test.org/ ?

and this one? http://www.apexpreparation.com/oat/

and this one? http://oatprofessor.com/

as for studying i did P-review, i have heard kaplan is better. don't know much about these sites.

chachi2579 said:
the OAT on the 15th was tough, the BIo section was a killer and the 1st Q was something i had never heard of, so i am glad i wasn't alone. as for studying i did P-review, i have heard kaplan is better. personaly i think its all the same as long u study Everything and are good at these standardized test. oh yeah, the 1st reading comp, What was that??? :confused:

I'm glad you feel the same way, I took the OAT on the oct. 15th also, bio was surprisingly verrry hard. I took kaplan to review, and I always did very well on the bio, but on the test it was one of the hardest sections for me.