Octopus vs. Humphrey Visual Fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salami bahama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any strong opinions regarding the Zeiss Humphrey vs. the Haag Streit Octopus for visual field units? I have the most experience with Zeiss, but the Octopus seems to me to be non-inferior at least. The progression analysis available through the included Eye Suite software is a nice perk. For a glaucoma practice, it seems that one would be just fine with the 600 series. I'm curious if anyone has any specific thoughts or comments on Humphrey vs. Octopus and if there's anything I'd be missing if I went away from the bowl-style perimeter to the 600 series. I don't think I'll need kinetic testing or anything wider than 30 degrees, so the 600 should work well. Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I have one of each (Humphrey 745i II , Octopus 900 Pro). They are both good, both reliable, both adequate for glaucoma. If you want the progression analysis with the familiar boxplots, Zeiss is the benchmark but IIRC Octopus has something similar. I like the service of Haag-Streit Octopus far better. I upgraded the computer for my Octopus and HS walked me through the installation of new software and the existing patient database for no cost. Zeiss would never have done that, even if they made a networked perimeter with a standalone, upgradable PC, which they don't.

Last edited:
I have one of each (Humphrey 745i II , Octopus 900 Pro). They are both good, both reliable, both adequate for glaucoma. If you want the progression analysis with the familiar boxplots, Zeiss is the benchmark but IIRC Octopus has something similar. I like the service of Haag-Streit Octopus far better. I upgraded the computer for my Octopus and HS walked be through the installation of new software and the existing patient database for no cost. Zeiss would never have done that, even if they made a networked perimeter with a standalone, upgradable PC, which they don't.
Are the fields comparable? (Ie can you compare progression on a HVF to an OVF(octopus VF)?

Are the fields comparable? (Ie can you compare progression on a HVF to an OVF(octopus VF)?
Yes. The "everyday" threshold field in the Octopus is the 32-TOP which is a 30-degree field comparable to the Humphrey SITA-FAST. It will provide several different presentations of the data (polar chart, etc). Are they point-to point comparable or apostilb-to-apostilb, maybe the latter but not the former. I think Zeiss' database is proprietary. I don't think you can say extract the data set from a Humphrey and directly compare it to the data set from the Octopus. They are comparable but not identical.

Reactions: 1 user