Oculoplastics match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacMan13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it is about time to start an oculoplastics match forum. Ideas on the places. Application process and advice. Interviews. Any other thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is about time to start an oculoplastics match forum. Ideas on the places. Application process and advice. Interviews. Any other thoughts

Nice idea, but I doubt there will be a big volume of response. The process is typically very subjective and there are relatively few spots open in any given year. If you had questions about a particular program, you might post.

The application process for the ASOPRS match is set. You go to every program that invites you to interview, unless for some reason you learn after applying that you really don't want to go there. The non-ASOPRS university programs are equally competitive, except the match is the regular SF match. There again, you go to every program that invites you.

The interview process is really an opportunity for them to get an idea how well you would fit in with them--it is very subjective. You should treat it like any other important job interview. They already know what you look like on paper and you have passed their screen, the interview is really about sizing you up for the fit. Be agreeable. Don't try to upstage the current fellow, who you may meet (he/she has already made the cut and the preceptor might want their opinion on you. Remember, becoming a fellow of a particular program is like joining a private club, and you will run into one another over the years; it is even more fraternal than ASOPRS.)

thanks ORBIT SURG,
i guess youve been down this road before. looking at other post on subject, no one seems to reply. I just posted yesterday on interviews etc and 127 reads but no responses.
My guess is you are an oculoplastic surgeon. any advice on the interview process, what to look for in an program etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Orbitsurg hit it on the nail. An oculplastics "interview or match thread" probably won't get a large response here. A few other bits of advice...

Oculoplastics is very competitive, more so than any other subspecialty. Many people who deserve to match often do not (I think the match rate is less than 50%), so you should have a back up plan.

Just like orbitsurg said, go to every ASOPRS interview, and every strong non ASOPRS interview, and be willing to go there if "accepted".

OKAP's scores, research, and letters help - but a phone call from a prominent person will do more than anything else.

If you are looking to do an ASOPRS fellowship (or any oculoplastic fellowship really for that matter) it would probably be beneficial to decide and begin to network toward the middle to end of your first year.

Just my 2 cents. You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

NEIguy, I thought your thread was good but I just didn't have anything to offer yet as I have not recieved any interviews. I think we should keep it going if possible.

Personality fit is probably most important once you have the interviews...since you are going to be working closely for 2 years...and where you are willing to live for 2 years...just my two cents...good luck to those applying this year...:xf:

hey guys and gals!,
thanks for the feed back! mac 13 and i were a little puzzled..lol.
I have only begun to realise exactly how hard this is! its crazy hard! My back up plan is .....????? ..that seems to change on a daily basis. Ill be pretty happy doing anything in and around the eye. I just like plastics and orbit the most!! :confused::scared::rolleyes:

is there a magic number for the match etc?
when do most interviews go out by??

thanks again

hey guys and gals!,
thanks for the feed back! mac 13 and i were a little puzzled..lol.
I have only begun to realise exactly how hard this is! its crazy hard! My back up plan is .....????? ..that seems to change on a daily basis. Ill be pretty happy doing anything in and around the eye. I just like plastics and orbit the most!! :confused::scared::rolleyes:

is there a magic number for the match etc?

when do most interviews go out by??

thanks again

That number is one. You go to the one place that takes you.