Od/mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazenmadison

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there's a MD/MBA, DO/MBA, and DDS/MBA...

would it be weird for a OD/MBA or OD/MHA (health admin)

What type of job opportunities would be available to an OD with a MBA or MHA?

Members don't see this ad.

blazenmadison said:

In my experience, those of us with MD/MBA's usually work as hospital administrators or medical directors for insurance companies. Both roles require knowledge of hospital mechanics and pretty thorough medical knowledge (otherwise any MBA could do it). Therefore, I am not sure what an OD knows about the ICU, PICU, OR, ER, etc. As far as Medical Director for Insurance Companies (which is what I do), again, I have to know about all current medications, DME, DRG's, etc to make denials and approvals. Again, I just cannot see hiring an OD (MBA or not) to do these roles compentently. Good luck.

FamilyMD said:
In my experience, those of us with MD/MBA's usually work as hospital administrators or medical directors for insurance companies. Both roles require knowledge of hospital mechanics and pretty thorough medical knowledge (otherwise any MBA could do it). Therefore, I am not sure what an OD knows about the ICU, PICU, OR, ER, etc. As far as Medical Director for Insurance Companies (which is what I do), again, I have to know about all current medications, DME, DRG's, etc to make denials and approvals. Again, I just cannot see hiring an OD (MBA or not) to do these roles compentently. Good luck.

whats DME and DRG's?

Members don't see this ad :)
prominence said:
whats DME and DRG's?
durable medical equipment, diagnosis-related groups

blazenmadison said:

I wouldn't look at an OD/MBA etc. as a way to open up new career pathways, but as a way to hone your practice management skills.

I married into a family of optometrists (lucky me), one of whom is a recent graduate, and neither of whom have any business training other than that learned the hard way. Having an MHA, I see a lot of opportunities to improve their practice that they do not perceive. Having excellent business skills is even more crucial for OD's, since a large portion of their earning potential comes from the sale of frames and lenses, CL's, etc., which fall into the realm of retail sales rather than rendering a healthcare service.