OD/PhD or OD/MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinnus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm a Canadian student who got accepted into SUNY for the class of 2016. And I realize that I would have to pay the Out of state tuition for all four years.

I was just wondering if I decide to do an OD/MS or an OD/PhD at SUNY, would I be eligible for any tuition waivers? Or is there some way that I can get an in-state resident status in my second year and beyond? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

So I'm a Canadian student who got accepted into SUNY for the class of 2016. And I realize that I would have to pay the Out of state tuition for all four years.

I was just wondering if I decide to do an OD/MS or an OD/PhD at SUNY, would I be eligible for any tuition waivers? Or is there some way that I can get an in-state resident status in my second year and beyond? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

OD/MS students get a stipend for the summers. I'm not sure about OD/PhD, but it's probably on their web site.

$3500 stipend for summer research for OD/MS. Not sure about OD/PhD. Best way is to become a citizen and file for residency in New York State or just not do it at all. Don't know if optometry is worth $150,000 + living expenses in NYC for 4 years (~$100,000). Pretty bad return on investment if you ask me.