OD4 Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D

deleted1049732

Hi! I'm a current third year student at NECO, and I'm wondering how different schools are handling upcoming OD4 rotations during COVID-19.

At this point, NECO has told many of us that we are to start rotations on May 18th, or May 27th if we need to self-isolate at some point during our moves and travels (Massachusetts currently has a mandate that anybody entering the state needs to self-isolate for two weeks). If the school has not heard from our clinic yet we are just waiting. The situation is variable and totally dependent on the clinic we are assigned to.

I have to say that I'm disappointed in NECO for this approach and I think the school is being incredibly irresponsible in not delaying our start date. Massachusetts is one of the worst-hit states right now and they are expecting students to head back to Boston to move out of our apartments, and then travel again across the country to our respective clinical sites. They are also expecting the 25% of the class that is Canadian to cross the closed border to get to clinic. Some clinics do not sound like they have proper PPE for us, and some of the clinical sites are in cities that are epicentres of the pandemic.
We have brought up the concerns of our health and safety, as well as the safety of our patients, but the school does not seem to be hearing any of our concerns. We were told that feeling uncomfortable is not a valid reason for not starting our rotations as planned.

At this point I would just be interested to hear if other schools have delayed their start dates or what their plans are. As of now, we have been told that we will not be provided with other options if we do not feel safe travelling or starting our rotations- we may have to take an Academic Leave of Absence in order to delay our start date to our second rotation in August just to feel safe.

Thanks so much everyone!! Hope you're safe and well!!

Members don't see this ad.