Odd circumstances, need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iaca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a great forum, I have been lurking for a couple months now! I just have a few questions and need some advice of where I should go from here. Long story short, I want to get my RN but need some advice considering my circumstances.
Heres my story.

I had an extremely difficult period in my life after graduating high school through my early 20s. I won't go into it, but it heavily affected my grades in college. While living in Iowa. I got expelled for bad grades from one university. I then moved to california, and continued on into community college I basically failed out again there. After this, I decided college wasn't for me and decided to work as a computer programmer while I figured my life out. So I did, and I'm great now. Much, much happier and my life has stability.

California is great! But the job market there imploded in october! Now I'm back in Iowa, finishing college. I'm a psychology major, and my grades are great now. My major gpa (cumulative) is 3.67. I have a 3.86 gpa now since returning to school, and I have ~45 semester units left. (not including science prereqs for an absn)

I want to enter into an accelerated bsn program after I finish my bachelors in psychology and complete the science prereqs. But my question is this. What are my chances of getting accepted into a program? My first 60 hours of college are LITTERED with F's. I really screwed things up. But I improved vastly and am now basically getting straight A's with the odd B. Will this be enough? What kind of performance do I need to show to get accepted into a program? Anything I can do to set myself apart?

Members don't see this ad.

Everything hinges on the overall GPA. All grades are averaged, including the Fs. That said, bad grades can be overcome, and your upward trend is commendable. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Thanks. I realize this is especially the case for public universities, but what about private ones?