Odd Interview Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoSteveSquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last week I had an interview was with a biochem PhD regarding, well xxxx med school.

Instead of asking me typical questions about my background, ambitions, etc., he asked me very specific questions along the lines of a quiz in biochem. No I'm not kidding.

Questions like, so if a reaction is based on the principle of going to a lower Gibbs Free energy state, then how, is it possible for an enzyme to work in both directions?

I was sweating by the time it was over. Luckily he followed my biochem test with questions like: "Don't you think it is hypocritical to believe in science and God at the same time?" Yeah, easy stuff.

Honestly, the interviewer was a very interesting guy, who was obviously very very intelligent. But, his line of questioning really threw me off. Hope it went well.

Has anyone ever heard of such an atypical type of interview?

The students at the school said that was very odd, considering the school is well known for a relaxed attitude.

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly was in your primary/secondary that caused this person to give you a biochem quiz?

Closed file. So, nothing. Even if it was open file, the only link I can think of is a letter of rec from my biochem prof.

Very strange, huh?

Sounds like a fun interview to me :)

I would have enjoyed it!
Much more so than stupid "what are your weaknesses and why will you fail at our med school?"