Odd PTCAS essay question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starrsgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am only applying to one school, University of Nebraska Medical Center. In PTCAS, UNMC requires supplemental information in the form of an essay. The instructions to UNMC essay reads "In lieu of the standard PTCAS essay question, please answer the following essay question for our program.". Does this mean that I should not complete the normal essay question? It clearly says "in lieu" but that feels so wrong to me. But then again, this IS my only school. Should I write anything in the normal essay spot? Maybe something like "see supplemental application essay"? Or should I post the same essay in both spots. One issue is the questions are similar but not the same. I am definitely thinking of taking a completely different direction with UNMCs question than I was with the PTCAS essay.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to complete both.

Why only one school?

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like UNMC isn't concerned with the generic PTCAS essay question and would rather read your response to their custom essay question. You'll still need to (and should) complete the generic essay question for your application to be deemed complete.

It still seems odd to me that they would use the terminology "in lieu of" and need/want both. Gotta love electronic application systems!

I definitely won't change my mind about schooling. I like UNMC and feel like it's a great fit and exactly what I am looking for from a PT program. In fact, a big reason I left my previous job was our move to Omaha and the opportunity for me to go back to school in the area, at a strong school. I'm a non traditional student (older, husband, kids), so this is where we live and what we can afford. I won't be relocating my family or leaving them to attend school. Creighton is the other program in the area but I don't meet all their admission requirements this year. I realize I'm not doing myself any favors by only applying to one school, but UNMC is the only place I want to be. If it doesn't work out, then I have to accept that and reevaluate from there.

"In lieu of" definitely implies that they do not plan to read the regular PTCAS essay. I think your best bet is to just contact the school and ask them.

Just a follow up to this...I did contact PTCAS and they said I could write the supplemental essay in the regular essay section. (They reminded me I could not apply to other schools by doing this but I already understood that and am 150% sure I will not apply to another school this cycle)