Ode to premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHINYBRAIN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh Premed,

started college with fresh new dreams and hopes, of being a doctor, being in med school. never have I considered anything else as a future career.

Freshman year, made the first C of my life in Chemistry. GPA 3.2.
Thought, I'll make up in sophmore year. made my first F, in a calculus class. New GPA 2.8.
Still had hopes, knew things will be alright. Made F in Organic, D in Physics. GPA 2.3. Still hopeful...family porblems, me understanding how to study for science classes, I thought the next semester will bring it up to a 2.8. hah, another D, GPA now 2.2. will probably get lower to 2.0 by this semester ends.

still hopeful. still a premed.
its killing me, but Im living with it.
Right now, Im a junior. Never did I think I'll make such bad grades. I study, spend a lot of my time studying. But so close to probation.
Its a terrible feeling all the time. Little mistakes, my future is at stake. I know I can do so many other things with life, but the dream of being in a med school, is not just getting off my head.

I aspire to make all As next semester, something I have been doing since freshman year. I know its an impossibility, but keeps me running.
As i search for hope in sdn, reading posts of people who made it to med school, with bad grades (of course, not as bad as mine)..I dream again.

what have I got myself into? its so frustrating.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time. Can't you retake the classes?

If you still aspire to become a physician, you have to retake those prereq classes. Right now, you can say goodbye to US MD schools. There are good number of students with solid gpas and MCAT being waitlisted or flat-out rejected right now at MD schools. With the F, D and cumulative gpa(2.0), you've pretty much nailed that coffin.You're already a junior so straight As next semester won't help much.

Your options are either DO or Offshore schools. DO schools replace grades so if you retake your prereqs and do well, you can improve your gpa considerably. Offshore schools are another option .I'm not sure if they replace grades but they won't take your F or D either. Bottom line, if you still want to be a physician, there are options left for you. Nonetheless, find out why you're doing poorly and correct it.

Members don't see this ad :)
its incredible how much a public forum can help!

I was studying for another exam, and I almost stopped studying after seeing my D grade. Thanks for the replies!

Megaprojectile, you are right. Its time I get practical. I do want to apply for DO school, and I also have school of podiatry if nothing else works. Off shore US schools..I am not too sure, if I can go for them. But yes, true there's always hope. And solution. Its just taking some time for me to adapt, asking why am I getting such bad grades, why me, why is my life geting nowhere..and the thread of depressing questions continue.

Rosebud: Im retaking some classes, but then I have to graduate too.

thanks for the kind words and source of encouragement!

Much appreciated

At this point it's time to start thinking about your other options... If you retook all of your poor grades, and got straight A's from here on out... you could almost be competitive for DO. But lets be honest, your EC's better involve curing aids, cancer, and negotiating a peace treaty between warring tribes in Africa or you are screwed man. I don't know what else to say..

its incredible how much a public forum can help!
I was studying for another exam, and I almost stopped studying after seeing my D grade. Thanks for the replies!

Megaprojectile, you are right. Its time I get practical. I do want to apply for DO school, and I also have school of podiatry if nothing else works. Off shore US schools..I am not too sure, if I can go for them. But yes, true there's always hope. And solution. Its just taking some time for me to adapt, asking why am I getting such bad grades, why me, why is my life geting nowhere..and the thread of depressing questions continue.

Rosebud: Im retaking some classes, but then I have to graduate too.
thanks for the kind words and source of encouragement!
Much appreciated

You can retake some of your prereqs at a community college. It will give you some assurance and confidence boost. Unless you are positive you can ace the class at your current school, I'd say retake it at a community college. Then when you gain enough confidence, you can retake the rest at a 4-year school and even add some advanced classes to let schools know you're capable. An A anywhere is better than a B- at a 4-year school. The computer won't factor that in when it calculates your gpa.

Also consider that maybe science just ISN'T your thing. I'm not saying that to be mean, but if you're doing this badly in all of your science classes, maybe that's telling you something. Med school classes are only going to be harder than what you've already taken.

Try retaking them, absolutely, but if you can't do well the second time around, maybe it's time to consider something else. Lets be honest here, with those grades, even DO schools and pod schools are probably a stretch.

I would consider other professions. If you are still interested in medical field, how about PA or nurse?