Odk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has any one heard of Omicron Delta Kappa? Could you tell me what you know about it?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think that is an honor society that focuses on leadership in college. I don't know how prestigious it is. I really didn't get involved in a lot of these and stuck with the academic ones or the one for my various majors. They may have a website or there may be something about it on your college website.

Thanks, I've gone through their website but it wasn't quite as informative as I'd been wanting. I've asked some teachers about it but they hadn't heard of it which made me wonder about them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a lot of these supposed honor societies are kinda "cash cows" because I know during my college career I was always getting stuff about these various organizations and invariably they wanted 50-100 for lifetime membership dues so I just chose the ones that I knew by rep or were related to my majors.

Golden Key is a more recognized honor society than ODK. I had looked into both, but chose to join Golden Key. I believe the requirements for membership in Golden Key are more stringent than ODK. At my school, you have to be in the top 15% for Golden Key, which is about 3.7. Plus you get to wear some spiffy stole and cords on graduation which always looks nice! :)

How do things like Golden Key and ODK compare to Who's Who of college and university students?

Ok, now I'm hacked off, I was in Golden Key and they haven't offered me a stole for graduation. Maybe, I'll wear my Grandma's mink to protest. hehe

I think Phi Beta Kappa is the most well known. It was funny, when I went to interview there was some dorky kid there with this big Phi Beta Kappa lapel pin prominently on his suit. Guess, he thought it would help. Yes, I have the pin, it came with the induction, but I would never wear it to an interview or anywhere else for that matter. It went in the cedar chest with all the other memorabilia. It was kinda hilarious watching him work as we were meeting people, kinda thrusting that shoulder forward so they could get a good look at the pin.

I never bought into that Who's who stuff because I personally knew kids that were in there that were not what I would consider stellar students. I got something from them a couple of times, but never sent in the money. As I recall, it was pretty expensive.

Originally posted by lady bug
Golden Key is a more recognized honor society than ODK. I had looked into both, but chose to join Golden Key. I believe the requirements for membership in Golden Key are more stringent than ODK. At my school, you have to be in the top 15% for Golden Key, which is about 3.7. Plus you get to wear some spiffy stole and cords on graduation which always looks nice! :)

This isn't so at my school. We have everything from National Society of Collegiate Scholars to Golden Key, etc.

However, ODK at my school is by far the most honorable society. Students lucky enough to be inducted into the chapter at my school have their names engraved onto a campus pillar. Very few people are selected into the ODK chapter at my school. The ODK chapter here also hosts and arranges 90% of the most important campus activities.

Hey! from what i understand, this is how odk works. you can only receive an invitation to submit info about yourself if you're in the top 1/3 of your class. The entire membership of the chapter cannot exceed 3% of the college's total population. Once you are asked to submit info, you need to prove sufficient leadership in either 2 or 3 areas of campus life - they're something like publications, athletics, art/theater/music, student government, and something else. hope that helps at all

Then maybe it was who's who of high school students that you had to pay. I can't remember, but usually when I didn't join something, it was because they wanted money and i didn't feel it was worth the investment.

Who's who is free, but they try to sell you their books for a bunch of $$, but you don't have to buy to be listed. Although I don't think anyone really cares about who's who anyway.