ODS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright here´s my situation. I am currently in South America studying Spanish (SDN is my daily dose of English). I had originally planned to be here right up until medical school started in August. Then I found out I could do ODS the summer before medical school and changed my plans to come back right before the June class. Today I was told that, in order to recieve my orders for the June ODS, I would need to return at the end of May at the latest in order to get my commission so they could go through the month long process of issuing me the orders. Since I can´t aford an extra international flight, that would basically end my attempt at fluency. So here are my questions (this is Navy specific, if that matters):

1) If I go back in May, what are the odds that they would actually get my orders to me in time for ODS? I´d hate to go back for nothing.

2) For current Navy attendings, do you think there is any chance that they´re going to stop giving out school orders in between 2nd and 3rd year? I´m not sure that I would want to get stuck doing Dive school when I´m supposed to be studying for boards.

3) Has anyone here actually done an AT between years 2 and 3? Would that be a sane idea? Do people really study for boards the entire summer? I like the idea of getting the extra military training, and of taking a break from boards, but I don´t want to hurt my chances at straight through/slightly less delayed training. How long do the ATs take?

4) Tangential question: Do the guys at military medical centers have any real use for Spanish language skills? I mean, I´m sure I´ll get a chance to use my fluency when we invade one of the countries I´m visiting, but I was wondering if Spanish is used on a more day to day basis

5) General advice: what would you guys do in my situation?

Of course, there´s still the slight chance that the board will save me the decision by rejecting my application outright.

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently told that June ODS is full. Last I heard May 19 had a few spots left but its most likely too late if you're planning on getting commissioned in May.

I was told that I am ´penciled in´for one of the slots in the full class, so I will be able to go if I get my orders in time, so that shouldnt be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright here´s my situation. I am currently in South America studying Spanish (SDN is my daily dose of English). I had originally planned to be here right up until medical school started in August. Then I found out I could do ODS the summer before medical school and changed my plans to come back right before the June class. Today I was told that, in order to recieve my orders for the June ODS, I would need to return at the end of May at the latest in order to get my commission so they could go through the month long process of issuing me the orders. Since I can´t aford an extra international flight, that would basically end my attempt at fluency. So here are my questions (this is Navy specific, if that matters):

1) If I go back in May, what are the odds that they would actually get my orders to me in time for ODS? I´d hate to go back for nothing.

I would say pretty good.

2) For current Navy attendings, do you think there is any chance that they´re going to stop giving out school orders in between 2nd and 3rd year? I´m not sure that I would want to get stuck doing Dive school when I´m supposed to be studying for boards.

No, they won't do anything to detract from your ability to do well in school. But if you have time after boards and before 3rd year starts why not do something Navy vice school orders. Join the reindeer games.

3) Has anyone here actually done an AT between years 2 and 3? Would that be a sane idea? Do people really study for boards the entire summer? I like the idea of getting the extra military training, and of taking a break from boards, but I don´t want to hurt my chances at straight through/slightly less delayed training. How long do the ATs take?

Eons ago, I did. I did an acute care rotation at NNMC.

4) Tangential question: Do the guys at military medical centers have any real use for Spanish language skills? I mean, I´m sure I´ll get a chance to use my fluency when we invade one of the countries I´m visiting, but I was wondering if Spanish is used on a more day to day basis

You would be amazed at the number of family members who are not proficient in English. You will be able to use your Spanish.

5) General advice: what would you guys do in my situation?

Of course, there´s still the slight chance that the board will save me the decision by rejecting my application outright.

They might, but doubt it.

i was just penciled in for may ODS. They said i had to apply for orders on the NROWS website. can anyone walk me through this? do i have to have a membername and PW already? i have no clue what i'm doing. thanks in advance

~ray

Uh. I got dissaproved for ODS this summer because of a "breakdown in communications." That's the Navy for you.

Now it looks like I don't have anything to do this summer.

Is it possible to do something at a military hospital or is that impossible?

Verified for a user name? I did mine about 5 weeks ago and I got verified or whatever that day and filled out my entire application. Which got dissaproved, damnit.

Perrotfish: As much as S. America sounds like a blast, I tried speaking Spanish once and was the worse Spanish speaker in my class. :p I think I might just spend this summer enjoying it or brooding about having to do OIS at some point in the future. :rolleyes: I'll probably spend two weeks fixing up this rental house and doing long, long, long neglected yard work before heading to my parents' casa or something.

just got my orders to report to ODS on may 18. sucks cuz my flight is may 17 and i'm missing my cousin's sweet 16 -=P. i guess i better start getting used to the military obligations interfering with life in general. oh well atleast it will be out of the way.

also... there's school orders tagged onto my orders for ODS to make it an even 46 days. what does this mean? i didn't start med school yet so what the heck am i supposed to do? it says i have to check in at my local navy reserve office. does that mean i have to be there? i was planning on going to the westcoast around that time

3) yes. I did a flight elective and it was more like a paid vacation than a real rotation because I wasn't yet a third year and there was only so much I could do. Kinda neat to see Pensacola and meet some flight docs and worth my time, but not all that much gained to be honest. If I had money, taking an unpaid vacation probably would have been just as educational, but I am happy I did this anyway. My school gives us, like 2 months to study for boards if we want to and I took 3 weeks.

5) I would probably just wait until next summer and enjoy South America. Nothing is a sure thing with the military and it would probably such to give up this opportunity and then find out you can't do ODS for some reason.

Just my opinion...then again, opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink.

I still cant get into NROWS but got it done with phone calls and email. See you in Newport