Of eLORs and GRE Quant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVMorBust

UW SVM Class of 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions, really.

The Background: I'll be applying next fall for vet school

Question 1: I'm beginning to amass my letters of rec. Does anyone know if it is possible to start using the AAVMC system for electronic letters before having an active application? (since I won't be applying on the current one, as it is for this fall.)

Question 2: Does anyone have good tips for the use of scratch paper on the GRE quantitative section? I'm frustrating myself while practicing, because I keep making stupid mistakes, usually involving getting the right answer but looking at a different one on the paper and marking the wrong one. I'm looking for smarter ways to keep track of things.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can submit LORs for next year's app cycle right now (but I might be wrong)

I assume you're taking the computer based GRE, right. As far as scratch paper, what about circling the answer on the paper and then crossing off the whole problem when you've marked your answer. Other than that, I guess just double, triple and quadruple check you're marking the answer you want before marking it.

Crossing off old problems would probably help immensely...no idea why I didn't think of that, it's so...simple! Thanks! And yes, I'm taking the computer based GRE, probably over winter break this year. It's just frustrating, because it always takes me a few problems to get into 'math mode', and by then, I've missed a few due to the dumb errors I make and I'm kind of screwed. But I will definitely try the crossing-out, because I think it would help a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry, its always the simple things that we miss!! Keep practicing the math problems and when it comes time to take the test, do a few warm up problems before the test starts. Maybe this will help get you in the math mood before you hit the questions that count.

A tip that I got from the Princeton Review that really helped me was to take a few seconds during the tutorial (if they let you) or the first few seconds of the section and fold your scratch paper into sections, vertically and horizontally. Only work on one problem per section. That'll keep things organized for you and help you keep track of what problem you're working on, especially if you are systematic in going down rows on the paper.

about the eLOR thing, I don't think there's a way to save letters for a whole year. I had really wanted to get my professor (who i didn't know well at all in a class of hundreds of kids) to write me a letter last summer while he still had some vague idea of who i was. Since there wasn't a way to submit at the time, he said he would rather just wait until i applied to write it. Luckily, he was true to his word and was able to write me a letter just recently.

So maybe you could approach your recommenders and let them know you might need a letter in a year?

Wivet - I think I need a mini-you to carry around and point out the obvious when I'm too thick to get it right away. Thanks!

Jen - I tried out the section idea and nailed the last practice test. Thank you so much.

Turtl- Normally I think that would be fine, although one of the letters I want is from a professor who's moving to a different university, and I'm not sure how easy it'll be to track them down then (horrible with email). I'll talk to them, though - there are other professors I could go to if they fall through.

Wivet - I think I need a mini-you to carry around and point out the obvious when I'm too thick to get it right away. Thanks!

:rolleyes: Aww, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.