youg

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
7
0
Status
for those of you looking at ucla.. just proceed with caution.
some profs there don't act very appropriately with students (interpret it as you wish). i know some students there and they are saying that they are having a hard time dealing. so look elsewhere for a school that treats their student well.. this one is not one of them.
They like the school itself ... but this one issue is not an isolated case.. more than a few profs are like that. Of course there are some profs that are nice.. but the ones that are asses are powerful enough to ruin the whole experience. take it as you wish.
 

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,755
1
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
youg said:
for those of you looking at ucla.. just proceed with caution.
some profs there don't act very appropriately with students (interpret it as you wish). i know some students there and they are saying that they are having a hard time dealing. so look elsewhere for a school that treats their student well.. this one is not one of them.
They like the school itself ... but this one issue is not an isolated case.. more than a few profs are like that. Of course there are some profs that are nice.. but the ones that are asses are powerful enough to ruin the whole experience. take it as you wish.
Ok, my imagination is going bananas with this, and I'm starting to envision bodies behind Dumpsters here... :eek: Can you elaborate on this decidedly vague intimation, and also cite your sources more specifically (ie, 3 D-2s, etc.), for the peace of mind of all us reading this?
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
Tzips said:
Ok, my imagination is going bananas with this, and I'm starting to envision bodies behind Dumpsters here... :eek: Can you elaborate on this decidedly vague intimation, and also cite your sources more specifically (ie, 3 D-2s, etc.), for the peace of mind of all us reading this?
bodies behind dumpsters!!! lol you sure have an imagination....im thinking more of nasty old guys hiting on good looking girls :eek: :laugh:
 
OP
Y

youg

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
7
0
Status
i was trying to be vague-purposely-to protect the innocent.. but d2 and d3 are ones that have provided some info. it's nothing like body dumping or anything.. but rather the prof /student interactions. some students don't feel "comfortable" with comments and actions of the profs. i'll leave it at that since there are student educations at stake here.

Tzips said:
Ok, my imagination is going bananas with this, and I'm starting to envision bodies behind Dumpsters here... :eek: Can you elaborate on this decidedly vague intimation, and also cite your sources more specifically (ie, 3 D-2s, etc.), for the peace of mind of all us reading this?
 

egpndoc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
204
0
So Cal
Status
Nendo21 said:
bodies behind dumpsters!!! lol you sure have an imagination....im thinking more of nasty old guys hiting on good looking girls :eek: :laugh:
yea im thinking about perverted old professors trying to hit on pretty girls, not a sopranos-like hit. or maybe there i bribery. let us know whats going on without breaking confidence with your sources because we need to know how severe this thing is if we are going to go to this school
 

Literati81

Poor Nerd
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
219
0
38
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
youg said:
i was trying to be vague-purposely-to protect the innocent.. but d2 and d3 are ones that have provided some info. it's nothing like body dumping or anything.. but rather the prof /student interactions. some students don't feel "comfortable" with comments and actions of the profs. i'll leave it at that since there are student educations at stake here.
I find these posts particularly frustrating. Sure you're "protecting the innocent," but, at the same time, you're initiating paranoia among those who plan on attending UCLA. Meanwhile, you're also protecting the guilty.

If a professor breaks their student-teacher relationship, the student(s) should be urged to bring the issue up to the Dean or class officers. Use your time and energy to fix the problem rather than allow it to perpetuate through future classes.
 

Literati81

Poor Nerd
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
219
0
38
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
youg said:
i'll leave it at that since there are student educations at stake here.
You can prevent a prof from getting tenure.
 

ecrdoubles15

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
215
0
Status
you guys just go where you want to. this can happen anywhere. who cares.
 

rocknightmare

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
1,124
1
Status
Dental Student
why is always old men hit on young woman??

what about old woman hitting on young men ... (desperate housewives.)
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
ecrdoubles15 said:
you guys just go where you want to. this can happen anywhere. who cares.
It can happen anywhere and it DOES happen everywhere.

All dental schools have some horrible instructors. All dental schools also have some excellent instructors.
 

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
635
0
39
Status
Whoa!! This thread makes me want to become a clinic instructor when I'm older. I'd love to hit on young dental hotties! :D
 

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,755
1
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
delicious said:
Whoa!! This thread makes me want to become a clinic instructor when I'm older. I'd love to hit on young dental hotties! :D
Souns wonderful :rolleyes: . Just let me know where, k? So I can warn all my family and friends....
 

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
635
0
39
Status
Tzips said:
Souns wonderful :rolleyes: . Just let me know where, k? So I can warn all my family and friends....
Oh, I'm sure I'll be moving around a lot to protect myself. It's soo annoying these days that women feel they have the right to complain about my constant sexual advancements. It's ridiculous.
 

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,755
1
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
delicious said:
Oh, I'm sure I'll be moving around a lot to protect myself. It's soo annoying these days that women feel they have the right to complain about my constant sexual advancements. It's ridiculous.
Just for that, you should star in a "freaky friday" type of thing and see how it feels. :laugh: Envision being hit on by this thoroughly repulsive guy - and then envision not being able to get rid of him. It's enough to make one seriously contemplate homicide.
 

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
635
0
39
Status
Tzips said:
Just for that, you should star in a "freaky friday" type of thing and see how it feels. :laugh: Envision being hit on by this thoroughly repulsive guy - and then envision not being able to get rid of him. It's enough to make one seriously contemplate homicide.
Oh man! Don't even say that; I hate Lindsay Lohan!!

But seriously, I'm obviously kidding. If I were a girl I would honestly carry around mase or a stun-gun all the time. I wouldn't take crap from no guy. But that would seriously suck if that guy was in a position of power like a clinic instructor. Then what do you do? Mase him while you're working on a patient. :laugh: Tempting.
 

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
635
0
39
Status
This thread made me think of an article I saw a little while back:
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=502998
What they don't tell you in the article was that the guy charged with rape was a second year perio resident, and that the girl was a 4th year dmd student. Also, the "party" they were coming from was actually a farewell party for a leaving faculty member. This is a pretty extreme case, but its sad to think about how difficult it would be for that girl [being raped obviously, but also having the guy at your school, and having to press charges against him]. Thank god she was in 4th year so she could get the hell outta there. I wonder if he was involved in instructing the DMD students.
 

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,755
1
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
delicious said:
This thread made me think of an article I saw a little while back:
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=502998
What they don't tell you in the article was that the guy charged with rape was a second year perio resident, and that the girl was a 4th year dmd student. Also, the "party" they were coming from was actually a farewell party for a leaving faculty member. This is a pretty extreme case, but its sad to think about how difficult it would be for that girl [being raped obviously, but also having the guy at your school, and having to press charges against him]. Thank god she was in 4th year so she could get the hell outta there. I wonder if he was involved in instructing the DMD students.
:eek: :eek: No kidding about that mace, and maybe a bonesaw as well...

Hopefully, though, these things are fairly rare, and I'll only have to worry about encountering Newark's indigenous population on the trip from the library to my car. :D
 

Irene010

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
107
0
35
Louisville, KY
Status
Tzips said:
:eek: :eek: No kidding about that mace, and maybe a bonesaw as well...

Hopefully, though, these things are fairly rare, and I'll only have to worry about encountering Newark's indigenous population on the trip from the library to my car. :D
I'll be right there with you, Tzips! Don't get me wrong, I am soooo excited about the Fall, but I'm also slowly mentally prepping myself for the Newark culture shock. :scared: Its cool, us girls will just have to stick together...and believe me, I will definetly have some mase on hand! :thumbup:
 

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
635
0
39
Status
Tzips said:
:eek: :eek: No kidding about that mace, and maybe a bonesaw as well...

Hopefully, though, these things are fairly rare, and I'll only have to worry about encountering Newark's indigenous population on the trip from the library to my car. :D
I probably shouldn't have posted that article - I'm sure these extreme incidents are very rare! Not to worry. But I guess you just gotta watch out where-ever you are. Most important: you should always be able to defend yourself. Mace and stun-guns are pretty good in my opinion. A knee to the groin, or a pen stabbed into an eye could be quite effective I feel. Oh, other things that may seem a little unconventional: throwing vials of acid into the attackers face, attack doggies, and spears. :thumbup: Don't take crap from nobody.
 

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,755
1
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
delicious said:
Oh, other things that may seem a little unconventional: throwing vials of acid into the attackers face, attack doggies, and spears. :thumbup: Don't take crap from nobody.
Yup, that's it - I refuse to leave home without my trusty smashes-on-impact vial of fuming sulfuric acid :D :thumbup:
 

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,755
1
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Irene010 said:
I'll be right there with you, Tzips! Don't get me wrong, I am soooo excited about the Fall, but I'm also slowly mentally prepping myself for the Newark culture shock. :scared: Its cool, us girls will just have to stick together...and believe me, I will definetly have some mase on hand! :thumbup:
I'm looking forward! And they said that campus security will escort you to your car at night, which is really great. Assuming your car's still there, that is ;)

But seriously, I'm very excited.

:luck: :luck: to all of us...