# of patients on treat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OliveTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get an idea when the administrators push their targets...

What is the approximate # of patients on treat per attending in your program?
What about your private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Pro Fee only arrangement with hospital system. Don't know anything about technical collections. Relatively well staffed clinic, all paid by them. 3 RTTs, 1 CMD, 1 Physicist, 1 NP, 1 RN. Newish TruBeam. They are generally pretty happy if we have >20 pts on. They really start to sweat if it dips <15 for a day or two. >25 pts, they are thrilled and >30 they are dancing and exalting me as a hero.

Reactions: 1 user
I hear of 10-15/doc in academics at the mothership site as being normal, while expectations might be higher at community academic satellite (20-25).

In pp, I've seen the full gamut of docs who carry 15 to 50+. Imo, it gets a little crazy when things go above 30-35 if you are treating a full spectrum practice, certainly easier to carry a 40+ load when you're treating mainly prostate at a urorads center (and probably laughing all the way to the bank while doing it).

I would imagine 20-30 is probably average in pp.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As always, agree with Gator. Where I trained, and where I am now, the full time clinical docs at the mothership generally carry 15-20. There are always 1 or 2 work horses closer to 25-30. The 80/20 researchers tend to carry 5-10.

Our satellites vary. We have one with very little competition and a large catchment that carries 25-30 per day consistently. Our other two satellites can get high but probably average closer to 15 per day. Pretty sure we lose money on those ones...

Large private practice, we contract with an even larger entity and give them a portion of our global collections for "business"-related support (financing, HR, etc, etc). I have anywhere from 25-55 on treatment at one time, but it averages around 35 and only rarely gets above 50. No more than prostates on treatment due to urorads in town. Lots of SBRT, SRS, HDR, unsealed sources, and we even do TBI and TSET.

Many full time attendings that I have worked with, who were busy brachytherapists, or did Gamma Knife a lot, or had signifficant managerial duties, carried just 8-10 patients at the time. In U.S., it is very common not to be numerically busy IMO.

Averages based on national surveys in the past have been in the low 20's. In a hospital based setting with mixed patient population including inpts, I find that at around 35 pts, it becomes very hectic. ( if you are an oupt center with a lot of breast and prostate, that number would be a lot higher.)

Last edited:
Many full time attendings that I have worked with, who were busy brachytherapists, or did Gamma Knife a lot, or had signifficant managerial duties, carried just 8-10 patients at the time. In U.S., it is very common not to be numerically busy IMO.

This is me. I average several GKs a week. I do a lot of SBRT/FSRT as well. Those are over 50% of my volume. I usually have less than 10 on beam. RVUs still pretty good.

Reactions: 1 users
Community hospital hear, avg around 15-20 per machine with a mix of brachy and SRS/SBRT.

When the census gets low and hospital admins come around, we we start calling all the patients with bone mets to see if they need a tune up.