Off-shoring Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Margaret_2003

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Off-shoring is an irrevesible trend that is affecting a great many engineers and programmers in many sectors, and I am wondering could this phenomenon will be playing out with the medical professionals? In your opinion, could this ever happen, and what technologies or things will have to fall in place before this is hapenning, and finally what should US pharmacists do to ensure this will not affect them? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Margaret_2003 said:
Off-shoring is an irrevesible trend that is affecting a great many engineers and programmers in many sectors, and I am wondering could this phenomenon will be playing out with the medical professionals? In your opinion, could this ever happen, and what technologies or things will have to fall in place before this is hapenning, and finally what should US pharmacists do to ensure this will not affect them? :cool:

It has already happened with Canadian web pharmacies. However it'll be cracked down probably, but currently it's big business. Another form that's harder to stop is medical tourism, where people go to Canada to purchase drugs. It already has happened to medicine and dentistry as well where people go to India, Mexico for procedures at fraction of the price. Telesurgery is also feasible now. From a financial magazine I read, off-shoring is inevitable because the cost in North America is just too high. They predict two things will happen: 1) either salaries in the 'developing' countries will have to rise or 2) professional salaries in developed countries have to go down. surely, we in NA probably have the best care, but the price is just too high for many.

Add radiology to the trend and the use of the "Nighthawk" system in many hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interestingly, I read recently, I believe, @ CNN.com, that the Canadian government may soon create legislation coming down on these Canadian web pharmacies servicing Americans. Bush made it pretty clear to their Prime Minister, Paul Martin, in a recent meeting to help prevent these transactions from continuing. I find this rather odd given the President's and most republicans fascination with a global free-market. Anyways, things may be changing.

If the web pharmacies continue, I read recently in a book I highly recommend to all of you, "Powerful Medicines: The Benefits, Risks, and Costs of Prescription Drugs" by Jerry Avorn, MD, a Harvard associate professor, that with newer computer systems this could spell an end to even physicians. Patient puts in information, has a technician draw blood, take BP, etc. enters that info, computer comes up with likely diagnosis, orders script via a computer ordering system from a web pharmacy...patient goes home, meds arrive next day. That's obviously far off and probably implausible, but you get the point.

LestatZinnie said:
It has already happened with Canadian web pharmacies. However it'll be cracked down probably, but currently it's big business. e, but the price is just too high for many...

Web-based prescriptions can be countered with pharmacies adding web services to their stores, which should be happening once presc verification system is in place. I can see doctors entering them electronically into US based system, and patients can pick up drugs at neighborhood stores, or getting mailed to them. This should bring in more businesses. Key is insurance not covering international delivery. However, if there is a benefit to some corporations to do that, it will be happening. I maybe wrong, but at this point, pharmaceutical companies and distributing companies don't seem to have any benefit in doing this yet.

Regarding your second point, both are happening in high tech world (i.e. rising (still tiny) salaries in developing countries and pressure on US-base salaries), but you noticed that benefits of corporations pushing this went up, so consumer cost won't be lowered, or will be lowered at US workers expenses. Also, you will be hearing about the myth of US schools not putting out enough trained people.

I think there are some major differences in the nature the products and businesses (i.e. high tech and medical/pharmaceutical) that preventing this from happening right now.

Oneday_9 said:
Interestingly, I read recently, I believe, @ CNN.com, that the Canadian government may soon create legislation coming down on these Canadian web pharmacies servicing Americans. Bush made it pretty clear to their Prime Minister, Paul Martin, in a recent meeting to help prevent these transactions from continuing. I find this rather odd given the President's and most republicans fascination with a global free-market. Anyways, things may be changing..

I think this is happenng because US pharmaceutical companies are pretty powerful and they have no interests in putting pricing pressure on their products here yet. Especially, with all the problems with Vioxx and costs of developing new drugs. About the president and free trade. You know he can sing very different songs to different crowds, and they have nothing to do with logic or reality.

Regarding the future trend, giving the services i am getting from HMO doctors currently, i won't be missing them if they were replaced by robots. During the last 10 yrs, they pretty much gave me whatever medicines i asked for after reading or hearing about them on TV ads. They did not seem to add much values in the 5 min i had to see them. Non-HMO physicians are better. I think providing more personal services, human touch, to patients will be important for pharmacists in the future. Although legislative will be key.

A more disquieting trend that i read recently in the Bay newspapers was smaller pharmaceutical companies started to locate their research facilities off-shore, where they can get more and cheaper resources to work on developing new drugs.

This sounds like an admissions essay, or essay contest... ;)

jdpharmd? said:
This sounds like an admissions essay, or essay contest... ;)

It would be a good one, but it's a question that aspiring US pharmacists need to ask themselves and work toward a strategy, else others, with different interests, will be thinking up all the (wrong) answers for them. I am interested in this, because my spouse will be attending pharmacy school soon.