Offered Interviews after completing application by September 30 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plumber007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of my applications (including secondaries) were completed on October 2, 2015. Has anyone in history gotten an interview for medical school if they applied this late?

Stats cGPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.5 MCAT (VR, PS, BS): 6,10,10

Currently in Post - Bacc program. Great Extra curricular activities & references... Any chances if at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Lol. "Has anyone in history"...isn't this a question you should've asked prior to applying? What if the answer was no? You could have saved yourself from becoming a reapplicant at every school you applied to. But of course, the answer is yes, people have received interviews in January after applying in mid-October.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, people who applied late have gotten interviews and acceptances, but I'm confused by your tense as October 2nd happened a while ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should've asked this question before October. It didn't seem that bad until now, that it has been over a month and I still haven't heard back from anywhere, except from 3 schools (Rejected)

3 rejections within a month? That is probably more related to your application than the time frame of submission.

EDIT:
Just noticed your stats
26 MCAT is too low for MD sans URM or veteran status.
What was your school list?

3 rejections within a month? That is probably more related to your application than the time frame of submission.

EDIT:
Just noticed your stats
26 MCAT is too low for MD sans URM or veteran status.
What was your school list?

Yeah, but I am a reapplicant. Not URM or veteran. Reg. Admission

Schools - GW (Rej.), Emory (Rej.) EVMS (Rejected), NYMC (they asked for CASper test score), Upstate, Downstate, Stony Brook, Creighton, Georgetown, Arizona - Tuscan, USC - Columbia.... was not able to find any other low tier schools

I'm assuming you are from NY?
Assuming you are from NY, your best chance would be Touro-NY, NY-Tech, and the Suny's. But considering you are a reapplicant, why did you not retake your MCAT? And if you did, I would strongly consider retaking after prepping for 3 months (and scoring 510+ consistently on practice tests). A 26 isn't going to cut it for MD programs IMHO.

Last edited:
How is Columbia, USC, "low tier"?!? Assuming you are from NY, your best chance would be Touro-NY, NY-Tech, and the Suny's. But considering you are a reapplicant, why did you not retake your MCAT? And if you did, I would strongly consider retaking after prepping for 3 months (and scoring 510+ consistently on practice tests). A 26 isn't going to cut it for MD programs IMHO.

Applied to Touro, NYIT and Suny's (Application complete 11/5). Waiting for interviews.

Took MCAT 3 times and I think I'll do horrible with new Psych/Sociology BS in MCAT

How is Columbia "low tier"?!? Assuming you are from NY, your best chance would be Touro-NY, NY-Tech, and the Suny's. But considering you are a reapplicant, why did you not retake your MCAT? And if you did, I would strongly consider retaking after prepping for 3 months (and scoring 510+ consistently on practice tests). A 26 isn't going to cut it for MD programs IMHO.
USC-Columbia =/= Columbia P&S. The former is a school in south carolina and has a median MCAT of around 30 or so.

What is your state of residence? NY correct?

Honestly, it seems like you didn't do enough research picking schools to apply to...Emory is not a low tier school. GW and Georgetown get a billion applications.. Arizona and USC are state schools that are crapshoots for OOS applicants. Seems like all you did was look for the lowest MCAT averages, but that isn't enough information. Your best luck is Touro and NYIT! Be patient..you were complete 4 days ago...give it at least 3 months before you may be allowed to panic.

Did I see 9s for your MCAT in your DO thread?

Also, I've included similar schools as a NYer, 3.5 GPA, 513 MCAT (~32-32 old style) and have been complete for 2-3+ months without an II. You're probably gonna wait awhile or get chopped, I wouldn't expect a fast II. Also, form a backup plan.

Honestly, it seems like you didn't do enough research picking schools to apply to...Emory is not a low tier school. Columbia is also beyond a reach...GW and Georgetown get a billion applications.. Arizona and USC are state schools that are crapshoots for OOS applicants. Seems like all you did was look for the lowest MCAT averages, but that isn't enough information. Your best luck is Touro and NYIT! Be patient..you were complete 4 days ago...give it at least 3 months before you may be allowed to panic.

See my above post

Edit: I see you just saw it lol

disregard

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your numbers are going to hold you back way more than applying late. A 26 is incredibly low for MD and if you look at this grid, your stats put you at an acceptance rate of ~21%. Add in applying late, and as a reapplicant, and I'd be very surprised if you received any IIs. You definitely should apply DO.

OP, strongly consider applying to more DO programs and get those applications in quickly!

Let's consult @Goro for a quick list.

Agree with other posters that 26 (with a 6 on verbal) is well below the acceptable threshold for MD schools, particularly given your exceptionally late application. DO is by far your best bet. Postbacc is unnecessary unless your MCAT improves substantially.

Honestly, it seems like you didn't do enough research picking schools to apply to...Emory is not a low tier school. GW and Georgetown get a billion applications.. Arizona and USC are state schools that are crapshoots for OOS applicants. Seems like all you did was look for the lowest MCAT averages, but that isn't enough information. Your best luck is Touro and NYIT! Be patient..you were complete 4 days ago...give it at least 3 months before you may be allowed to panic.

Most schools prefer in-state students and that doesn't help if you are from NY. I think that I had limited choice for medical schools. What schools would you have suggested?

I think your numbers are going to hold you back way more than applying late. A 26 is incredibly low for MD and if you look at this grid, your stats put you at an acceptance rate of ~21%. Add in applying late, and as a reapplicant, and I'd be very surprised if you received any IIs. You definitely should apply DO.

Pretty sure all of those 21% were URM... I have applied to some DO schools (I think I don't have any chance atm)

Most schools prefer in-state students and that doesn't help if you are from NY. I think that I had limited choice for medical schools. What schools would you have suggested?

I'm not following. Yes, state schools prefer their own, which is why I question your application to Arizona and USC. NY is a tough place for a medical school applicant...but you have many state schools. Your residence isn't limiting you, your MCAT is.

Pretty sure all of those 21% were URM... I have applied to some DO schools (I think I don't have any chance atm)

Some? Apply to many if you want to be in medical school next August. Retaking the MCAT a 4th time probably isn't a good idea. Was the 26 the highest you made? At this point, you need to apply strategically and realistically. DO will give you the most love. Stick to the SUNYs and hope for the best, but applying to private MD schools will be equivalent to donating money to said schools.

That 6 in VR with a 26 total score is a huge red flag. I don't think you have much of a chance for MD schools.

Some? Apply to many if you want to be in medical school next August. Retaking the MCAT a 4th time probably isn't a good idea. Was the 26 the highest you made? At this point, you need to apply strategically and realistically. DO will give you the most love. Stick to the SUNYs and hope for the best, but applying to private MD schools will be equivalent to donating money to said schools.

26 was the highest. I will be applying to 10 DO schools altogether. SUNY is my only hope atm. Anywhere but the Caribbean works for me.

26 was the highest. I will be applying to 10 DO schools altogether. SUNY is my only hope atm. Anywhere but the Caribbean works for me.

Sounds like a plan, OP! You could always add a few more if you want to cover your bases...but 10 may garner some interviews assuming everything else is in order (ECs, LORs, etc).

Last edited:
its not too late yet. send out some emails to programs you havent heard from :joyful:

All of my applications (including secondaries) were completed on October 2, 2015. Has anyone in history gotten an interview for medical school if they applied this late?

Stats cGPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.5 MCAT (VR, PS, BS): 6,10,10

Currently in Post - Bacc program. Great Extra curricular activities & references... Any chances if at all?

You are a reapplicant. You have a low MCAT. Why on earth did you wait until October to have your application complete? Why did you select the schools that you selected?

Reactions: 5 users
You are a reapplicant. You have a low MCAT. Why on earth did you wait until October to have your application complete? Why did you select the schools that you selected?

This.

Schools - GW (Rej.), Emory (Rej.) EVMS (Rejected), NYMC (they asked for CASper test score), Upstate, Downstate, Stony Brook, Creighton, Georgetown, Arizona - Tuscan, USC - Columbia.... was not able to find any other low tier schools

Emory doesn't send out rejections until March/April I'm fairly sure? Did you get rejected pre-secondary?

Emory doesn't send out rejections until March/April I'm fairly sure? Did you get rejected pre-secondary?

I was just thinking the same thing.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 122
I was just thinking the same thing.

I remember reading that they don't send secondaries to anyone with a sub score below 7 (123) or a total score of 24 (500)? Probably didn't get a secondary.

OP, I would do some research on schools before you apply. You basically just made a donation to Emory

I remember reading that they don't send secondaries to anyone with a sub score below 7 (123) or a total score of 24 (500)? Probably didn't get a secondary.

OP, I would do some research on schools before you apply. You basically just made a donation to Emory

Yea, Emory tried to send me their sceondary like two weeks ago after they finally processed that my MCAT was in (my MCAT was uploaded to amcas back in July)...ppffftttt, I guess they thought I had money to throw in the fireplace...

Yea, Emory tried to send me their sceondary like two weeks ago after they finally processed that my MCAT was in (my MCAT was uploaded to amcas back in July)...ppffftttt, I guess they thought I had money to throw in the fireplace...

Med schools are ruthless.. haha

yeah, I didn't receive any secondary invite from them. I've made a lot of donations with my expense up to $25-30k as of now in applications. From my perspective, I can recover that much money in future but even if there is 1% chance for acceptance, I'm putting in my application.

I wasn't sure if I was going to apply this cycle because I had already lost my faith in being accepted into any medical schools until I got accepted in a post bacc program in late August.So, I applied in September and got everything verified by October.

yeah, I didn't receive any secondary invite from them. I've made a lot of donations with my expense up to $25-30k as of now in applications. From my perspective, I can recover that much money in future but even if there is 1% chance for acceptance, I'm putting in my application.

I wasn't sure if I was going to apply this cycle because I had already lost my faith in being accepted into any medical schools until I got accepted in a post bacc program in late August.So, I applied in September and got everything verified by October.
Please please please tell us how you spent $25,000-30,000. I hope that was a typo bc even if you 10 DO schools and 12 MD schools each cost $200 to apply to it would be a little over 4K. You don't need a post bacc you need a better MCAT.

Please please please tell us how you spent $25,000-30,000. I hope that was a typo bc even if you 10 DO schools and 12 MD schools each cost $200 to apply to it would be a little over 4K. You don't need a post bacc you need a better MCAT.

I think he is counting the previous application cycle(s), the three MCATs and so forth. Still probably slightly exaggerated but no small expense nonetheless.

Your MCAT score, as a third try no less, is at least 5 points below the lowest SUNY average. And you have a 6 in a section which is essentially an automatic disqualification. It's not gonna happen. The private schools are equally unlikely. Not sure why you didn't ask before throwing away more money on futile applications. Focus on DO schools.

Applied to 55 MD schools last year and 15 DO schools and 15 MD + 18 DO this time. 105 applications * 200 = 21k. And mcat prep material and mcat exams. Do the math genius!

Applied to 55 MD schools last year and 15 DO schools and 15 MD + 18 DO this time. 105 applications * 200 = 21k. And mcat prep material and mcat exams. Do the math genius!

Holy ****! FIFTY FIVE!?

I have a nontrad advisee with a very atypical/uneven academic record who did not complete any application prior to Sept 30th and has currently 5 interviews, including MSTP and a UC school

I am non-traditional applicant w/ physics/maths major with economically disadvantaged status, but I don't fall under minority. My advisors sucked tbh

OP have you been able to get an II up to this point? Just re-checking in!

(I'm going to assume this isn't a troll)

You are not in a position to say something condescending like "do the math genius!"

I'd recommend you take a step back and do a LOT more research on the application process for medical school (and how incredibly competitive it is) if/when you end up having to re-reapply.

Well I know NYMC & downstate usually accept higher MCAT for sure. I'm a 29 MCAT & I couldn't apply to downstate according to the MSAR info.. I had no chance.

(I'm going to assume this isn't a troll)

You are not in a position to say something condescending like "do the math genius!"

I'd recommend you take a step back and do a LOT more research on the application process for medical school (and how incredibly competitive it is) if/when you end up having to re-reapply.
Lmfaoooo he's definitely not in a position to be sarcastic

Alright guys! Got interviews from 5 schools, I chose to interview with 2 and got accepted in both schools, LECOM and WVCOM. I guess it was more about being an early bird than anything else. Anyways, thanks for your input guys! Really appreciate it

Reactions: 2 users