Office camera/monitor systems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtoHNS

ENT Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of the private attendings on here have any advice on buying a new or used camera and monitor system for the office?

I don't really need anything super high tech. This will mainly be for in office procedures (balloon, turbinates, etc) and also for taking pics (and possibly recording video) to show the patients what I am seeing and to put into my electronic notes.

Any wisdom on here? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

We have 2 Olympus distal chip set ups in our 2 offices. They are exceptional. 1/2 the price of Kay Pentax and I don't think a significant difference in quality. Refurbished you can get the HD tower with recording less than $25k (don't buy their monitor--you can get almost the exact same HD montior at Best Buy for 75% less). You can set up your own recording system with a cheap as dirt PC and Windows XP or later Movie Maker--records your scopes in mpg format. I wouldn't buy their recording options either.

You can get a bottom dollar Storz setup for $12k but you get what you pay for. Storz is trying to break into this market and they have some seriously nice stuff as well that competes favorably with Kay, but probably more than you're looking for and will cost you a pretty penny--or a BMW.

Olympus has been great to us in terms of maintenance, servicing, and providing deals on new upgrades when they're available--for example, last year I bought their year end model HD scope for $14k that 2 months prior was selling for $25K. We've worked with them now for 6 years. I'd recommend them for a good quality product that is not as expensive but nearly as good as Kay.

I'd also ask about their lease to buy options. They will look at your reimbursement per procedure, the avg number of procedures you do a month, and then come back to you with a monthly quote that you should be able to meet easily (especially if you give them conservative estimates) and a length of the lease with a $1 buy out at the end. That way you can buy the $25k for a total of $31k, but spread out over 3-5 years. If capital is an issue, then the lease option is worth looking at. Storz will do the same thing. Not sure about Kay--they're too rich for my blood.

Last edited: