Office Politics in Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eleanor_rigby

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you deal with the rumor mill? I think I've heard about everything about every other pharmacist in my district from my manager because he's a huge gossip monger. One of them actually ended up being true, because the pharmacist across the street at our competitor's was arrested the other day for stealing narcotics and there was actually a small snippet on the local evening news. It doesn't help with my boss being extremely immature for an old guy and that the techs have big mouths so whatever was said about me somehow escapes them when they're speaking to me during the day. Now I have the ass-kisser tag from the pharmacist because I work extremely hard and try my best to be polite to all of the customers. I try to stay out of it all and just keep quiet, do my job, and leave, but it makes for a pretty depressing environment when everyone's bashing each other and being criticized without good reason. I wouldn't mind if I was doing a crappy job and got criticized for my work and told what I need to do to improve, but all of the surrounding talk deals with the other's personal lives and everyone making idiotic assumptions. I guess I was just expecting more from those much older than me but its like dealing with a bunch of junior high school girls. I guess it's a brief introduction to what I'll be dealing with upon graduation.

I haven't really had too many jobs because I've been pretty busy with school and sports throughout high school and university, so I'm not sure as to how to handle the situation b/c it really puts a damper on my mood when I have to go to work and deal with everyone antagonizing me and one another. It's enough as it is dealing with bitchy customers. I guess I'm just easily angered by sly remarks and don't feel the need to be involved in the petty gossip. I rather just chew the fat with some small talk and focus on my goddamn job.

Have you learned to just ignore it, do whatever you need to do at work, and get out once the day is up? Maybe its just me dealing with a gossip-mongering numbskull. People just kill me.
 
Ignore it or it will wear you out and make you bitter.

If it's not a positive comment about someone, don't mention it. Erase Negatives from your life... perhaps you'll be conducive in changing the morale and the office politics.

People thrive in negative environment.. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.
 
Ignore it or it will wear you out and make you bitter.

If it's not a positive comment about someone, don't mention it. Erase Negatives from your life... perhaps you'll be conducive in changing the morale and the office politics.

People thrive in negative environment.. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

👍
 
I try to ignore the drama but it is out of control where I work.
first shift techs talk smack about second shift and vice versa.

One person recently found out who I was dating and everyone in the pharmacy knew within 2 days (funny that NO ONE knew about it for 8 months.)

It's hard when you are thrust in the middle - we have a couple of the younger, least experienced pharmacists seemingly trying to "take over" and a pharmacy manager acting like he's in high school and playing favorites.
Not fun at all.

Like Z said, try to ignore it or it will make you bitter. It's too late for me.... 🙂
I TRY to forget what went on that day when I walk out the door, but I seem to be the only was who ever has the guts to say anything, so everyone approaches me with their issues.