Officer Manager

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdrp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm graduating DS in a year and my sister has expressed interest in becoming my officer manager in about 3-4 years when I purchase my own clinic. I was hesitant about the idea at first but there might be a great deal of value in someone who has a vested interest in seeing my office succeed for reasons other than $. It also helps that she and I have a great relationship. She's currently a Sophomore in college and is pursuing a bachelor's in business which gives her at least 2 years to gain work experience before I would likely purchase my own clinic.

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with a situation like this. Did it turn out well? Would the Bachelor's make her overqualified to be an office manger (it seems most just have a HS diploma)?

Members don't see this ad.

It has its ups and downs. Some can do it, some can't.
Only you can judge your sister's business ethics to see if it fits with what you want from your office.

Also, I'd much rather have an office manager with higher education than high school, it's my personal preference, some people like the bare minimum.

Would you feel comfortable firing her if necessary? Makes for an awkward Thanksgiving dinner with the family. Never hire someone you can't fire.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm graduating DS in a year and my sister has expressed interest in becoming my officer manager in about 3-4 years when I purchase my own clinic. I was hesitant about the idea at first but there might be a great deal of value in someone who has a vested interest in seeing my office succeed for reasons other than $. It also helps that she and I have a great relationship. She's currently a Sophomore in college and is pursuing a bachelor's in business which gives her at least 2 years to gain work experience before I would likely purchase my own clinic.

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with a situation like this. Did it turn out well? Would the Bachelor's make her overqualified to be an office manger (it seems most just have a HS diploma)?
If you have to ASK whether you should work with your sister or not, you probably shouldn't :s

If you end up having more questions I would look into a systems manual or CE on practice management. I know Dentalmaverick.com has a great site that I use with systems/videos, and have also gone to breakaway for Scott's stuff. A lot of good stuff on there