***Official 2008-2009 MD/PhD Waitlist Thread***

Started by anemone2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anemone2

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've always wanted to start one of these...

NYU
: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)
 
NYU: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09)

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NYU: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

 
Columbia: starman (3/9/09, snailmail)

NYU: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)


Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email)
 
Columbia: starman (3/9/09, snailmail)

NYU: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)


Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email)

I got a letter from Columbia too that said I was on the wait list, but I'm pretty sure that it was for the regular MD program only. Nowhere in the letter does it indicate that the MD-PhD program was waitlisting any one, so I think it's safe to say that you may be mistaken.
 
Columbia: starman (3/9/09, snailmail)

NYU: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)


Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email)
, tiamat360 (3/3/09)

Not holding out much hope for UCSD - I'm apparently not high enough on the waitlist to be invited to second look. 🙁

California, why must you spurn me??
 
NYU: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)


Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email)
, tiamat360 (3/3/09)
 
NYU: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)
 
NYU: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

Wash U: Calf (2/13/09)
 
Baylor: Redd66 (3/13/2009)

NYU
: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

Wash U: Calf (2/13/09)

...and I found out on Friday the 13th. Curse you Frigga!
 
OMG LOL I found out about my waitlist on Friday the 13th too!! When they told me they would let me know on the 13th I was like oh.... frick... that can't be good haha.
 
Baylor: Redd66 (3/13/2009)

Harvard:
sleepy425 (3/17/2009)

NYU
: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

Wash U: Calf (2/13/09)

I know, I know, it's the waitlist, but I'm thrilled!
 
Baylor: Redd66 (3/13/2009)

Harvard:
sleepy425 (3/17/2009), glycobio (same)

NYU
: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

Wash U: Calf (2/13/09)

Hmmm. Not so thrilled. I was hoping for acceptance or rejection, not this wishy washy waitlist business!
Seriously, though, this makes life way more complicated than a rejection...

Sleepy425 - did they give you an indication of your place on the list? Or was it just the generic "you were one of the very top applicants" nonsense?
It seemed like a form letter, but I thought I would check...
My significant other has to decide on his grad program by April 15th, so I need to have a better idea of my chances by then.

I guess I could just withdraw, but it's Harvard so that would feel weird...
 
same letter as you I think, nothing about rank on the waitlist. I remember them telling me when I interviewed that their waitlist isn't that long though, for obvious reasons. good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
same letter as you I think, nothing about rank on the waitlist. I remember them telling me when I interviewed that their waitlist isn't that long though, for obvious reasons. good luck!

Thanks
Good luck to you as well!
 
Withdraw glyco, you know you want to 😉.

Seriously though, I've almost decided I'd rather go to a school that really wants me than one that makes me wait months 😵.
 
Seriously though, I've almost decided I'd rather go to a school that really wants me than one that makes me wait months 😵.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'd feel like I was betraying UVA if I went anywhere else. Its true in both applications and relationships: there is something sexy about being wanted. 😛
 
Withdraw glyco, you know you want to 😉.

Seriously though, I've almost decided I'd rather go to a school that really wants me than one that makes me wait months 😵.

Don't tell me what to do! It's not like you know me or anything... 😀

It is nice to feel wanted, though. The Duke second look is next week, so if I come back from that feeling all warm and fuzzy, I'll probably withdraw from Hahvahd shortly thereafter...

Is your SO coming to Vandy (or staying in STL) with you?
BTW-assuming the girl you're all lovey-dovey with on Facebook is your SO, she's definitely not who I thought she was (the girl in my physics class that looks like she's 12 years old). Thank goodness. I was pretty creeped out for a while... 😳
 
Baylor: Redd66 (3/13/2009)

Boston U:
PerpetualPupil (3/~16/2009)

Harvard:
sleepy425 (3/17/2009), glycobio (same)

NYU
: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

Vanderbilt: PerpetualPupil (Date? Wasn't notified 'officially')

Wash U: Calf (2/13/09)


EDIT: I am in love with Vandy...so if anyone would care to free up a spot I'd be forever appreciative 🙂
 
Is your SO coming to Vandy (or staying in STL) with you?
BTW-assuming the girl you're all lovey-dovey with on Facebook is your SO, she's definitely not who I thought she was (the girl in my physics class that looks like she's 12 years old). Thank goodness. I was pretty creeped out for a while... 😳

Looks like she'll probably be staying in STL, though she isn't 100% sure yet.

Pretty huge incentive to hold onto that Wash U waitlist now 😵. Ordinarily I would say that one shouldn't let things like this influence your decision, but I mean come on, it's Wash U 😛. That and I just won't be happy without her 🙁.

So yeah, I'm now leaning toward holding out for Wash U as long as possible.

EDIT: I am in love with Vandy...so if anyone would care to free up a spot I'd be forever appreciative 🙂

Get someone to drop Wash U and I might be able to arrange that for you 😉!
 
Baylor: Redd66 (3/13/2009)

Boston U:
PerpetualPupil (3/~16/2009)

Harvard:
sleepy425 (3/17/2009), glycobio (same)

NYU
: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

Vanderbilt: PerpetualPupil (Date? Wasn't notified 'officially'), GliaGirl ("still being considered")

Wash U: Calf (2/13/09)
 
Given that second look weekend is fast approaching at Vandy, I'm holding out hope but I can't help but think that my days may be numbered there. 🙁

Do they have an official wait-list there? My status seems to be really ambiguous there and I have no idea where I stand.
 
Baylor: Redd66 (3/13/2009)

Boston U:
PerpetualPupil (3/~16/2009)

Harvard:
sleepy425 (3/17/2009), glycobio (same)

NYU
: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

Vanderbilt: PerpetualPupil (Date? Wasn't notified 'officially'), GliaGirl ("still being considered"), brokenward "still being considered"

Wash U: Calf (2/13/09)
 
Washington has already given out nearly twice the number of admits as spots, so I'm feeling like my chances are not looking too good.

Baylor: Redd66 (3/13/2009)

Boston U:
PerpetualPupil (3/~16/2009)

Harvard:
sleepy425 (3/17/2009), glycobio (same)

NYU
: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UW: solanoskaguy (2/9/09)

Vanderbilt: PerpetualPupil (Date? Wasn't notified 'officially'), GliaGirl ("still being considered"), brokenward "still being considered"

Wash U: Calf (2/13/09)
 
Looks like she'll probably be staying in STL, though she isn't 100% sure yet.

Pretty huge incentive to hold onto that Wash U waitlist now 😵. Ordinarily I would say that one shouldn't let things like this influence your decision, but I mean come on, it's Wash U 😛. That and I just won't be happy without her 🙁.

So yeah, I'm now leaning toward holding out for Wash U as long as possible.


You should definitely tell the admissions office this (if you haven't already)! I've found that adcoms in general are very sympathetic to SO-situations... It makes sense given how many people in academic medicine have been through similar things (if not in medical school then trying to find post-doc/residency/faculty positions together).

I withdrew from WashU recently... I really hope you get in!!
 
Am withdrawing from Harvard waitlist and heading to Duke. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Baylor: Redd66 (3/13/2009)

Boston U:
PerpetualPupil (3/~16/2009)

Harvard:
sleepy425 (3/17/2009), glycobio (same-withdrew 4/6/09)

NYU
: anemone2 (2/13/09, withdrew 3/9/09)

PSU: jorje286 (12/22/08)

Tri-I: LunarBlue1386 (12/15/08)

Tufts: GliaGirl (3/3/09), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UCSD: fairalexfield (3/3/09), starman (3/3/09, email), tiamat360 (3/3/09)

UW: solanoskaguy (2/9/09)

Vanderbilt: PerpetualPupil (Date? Wasn't notified 'officially'), GliaGirl ("still being considered"), brokenward "still being considered"

Wash U: Calf (2/13/09)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad