Official 2008 Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
look a whole group of puppies getting along

puppies.jpg

so precious

pre_en_puppies_large.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

world's cutest puppies

puppies-in-a-wagon.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
We now return you to our regularly scheduled program...

Anyone else care to share rank lists?

1. Hogwarts
2. Griffendor
3. Xanadu

the rest are secret

I am not ranking but since there seems to be so much hate and name calling on this particular thread I thought I would try and get it back on track.
I remember the old days when we use to write our rank lists without being attacked. Those woebegone days.

NostalgiaDaysArtWork06.jpg

That's two for Hogwarts...I'm getting a little nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is truly unfortunate that the guise of anonymity turns some future residents into douchebags. Seriously, why do some people care what others rank as their #1? I thought this forum was about sharing experiences, ideas, and encouraging each other through this very tough process and phase in our lives. I don’t know about you, but I don’t go on here to attack people and their choices. If you can’t even show respect and compassion toward your fellow applicants and future colleagues, how do you expect to care for patients at their most vulnerable state as an anesthesiologist?

We’re all in this together, so let’s try to get along…just like the puppies. We can all learn from the puppies! :love:

That's two for Hogwarts...I'm getting a little nervous.

Don't worry, there are 4 houses at Hogwarts. I don't know about you, but I'm vying for Gryffindor categorical. Oh wow, I hope that sorting hat get its right. EVERYBODY wants to go there! I'm so NERVOUS!

I just hope not to end up in Slytherin. You know that Slytherin wears those ugly green and black scarves right???? And I hope you aren't a mud-blood!!!! :laugh:

It is truly unfortunate that the guise of anonymity turns some future residents into douchebags. Seriously, why do some people care what others rank as their #1? I thought this forum was about sharing experiences, ideas, and encouraging each other through this very tough process and phase in our lives. I don't know about you, but I don't go on here to attack people and their choices. If you can't even show respect and compassion toward your fellow applicants and future colleagues, how do you expect to care for patients at their most vulnerable state as an anesthesiologist?

We're all in this together, so let's try to get along…just like the puppies. We can all learn from the puppies! :love:

I second that. and more puppies, please. I am going to go look into purchasing a dog. I am long overdue for a pet.

don't buy a dog...how about going to the local shelter or rescue. if you really must have a purebred many breeds have their own rescues. My baby from the pound is the greatest dog I will ever own -- husky-chow mix but she looks most like a husky. She was beaten, limping so covered in mange they had to shave her, starving...had never been treated anything but badly by people. She was a shell of a dog. The first week of our lives together she hid wherever she could, cowered if I tried to pet her, was afraid...she assumed I was like the rest. after a few days she began to trust me and realize I was there to take care of her, not hit her...now, a few years later you wouldn't believe she is the same dog. she is the best dog I have ever had. for years I bought the cute little puppy from the breeder...none of them have been half the dog she is...i will always rescue, not buy, my dogs from now on....how about giving a pound puppy another chance...?

don't buy a dog...how about going to the local shelter or rescue. if you really must have a purebred many breeds have their own rescues. My baby from the pound is the greatest dog I will ever own -- husky-chow mix but she looks most like a husky. She was beaten, limping so covered in mange they had to shave her, starving...had never been treated anything but badly by people. She was a shell of a dog. The first week of our lives together she hid wherever she could, cowered if I tried to pet her, was afraid...she assumed I was like the rest. after a few days she began to trust me and realize I was there to take care of her, not hit her...now, a few years later you wouldn't believe she is the same dog. she is the best dog I have ever had. for years I bought the cute little puppy from the breeder...none of them have been half the dog she is...i will always rescue, not buy, my dogs from now on....how about giving a pound puppy another chance...?

alright, I will look into it. I am actually having second thoughts about getting a dog right now, right before intern year. I wonder if four months with me prior to starting intern year is enough time to get the dog oriented to life with me, and not totally piss it off when I start to disappear for long periods of time. thoughts???

alright, I will look into it. I am actually having second thoughts about getting a dog right now, right before intern year. I wonder if four months with me prior to starting intern year is enough time to get the dog oriented to life with me, and not totally piss it off when I start to disappear for long periods of time. thoughts???

We got a dog right before interview season since I was (more or less) around to help train it and clean up feces. It's a huge pain in the rear to have a puppy and I totally wouldn't mess with it during intern year. An adopted dog would be my choice if I were doing it now.

I think certain breeds do better than others at being alone. Beagles, it turns out, don't do so well alone. Of course we found this out after getting one. Apparently they have rather significant seperation anxiety issues and he spends several hours a day howling when we're gone (according to the neighbors...).

We tried to adopt a dog - through several rescue groups and whatnot - but didn't in the end because they made it very difficult for us to adopt. They wanted to come check out the house, have us give references, give them our vet's contact info, etc. before they'd even consider letting us get a dog. I understand that they don't want the dog going home with Michael Vick and all, but it was a bunch of hassle (and struck me as a bit overkill). And then the adoption fees ended up being higher (almost double) what we paid for our dog.

1675420115_1ec1aab2ca.jpg

We got a dog right before interview season since I was (more or less) around to help train it and clean up feces. It's a huge pain in the rear to have a puppy and I totally wouldn't mess with it during intern year. An adopted dog would be my choice if I were doing it now.

I think certain breeds do better than others at being alone. Beagles, it turns out, don't do so well alone. Of course we found this out after getting one. Apparently they have rather significant seperation anxiety issues and he spends several hours a day howling when we're gone (according to the neighbors...).

We tried to adopt a dog - through several rescue groups and whatnot - but didn't in the end because they made it very difficult for us to adopt. They wanted to come check out the house, have us give references, give them our vet's contact info, etc. before they'd even consider letting us get a dog. I understand that they don't want the dog going home with Michael Vick and all, but it was a bunch of hassle (and struck me as a bit overkill). And then the adoption fees ended up being higher (almost double) what we paid for our dog.

1675420115_1ec1aab2ca.jpg

he's such a handsome fellow, though! So who knows what kind of dog will be more amenable to my work schedule. which dogs are less barkers than others? HELP!

jock2.jpg

Barker

lucky2.jpg

Non-barker

:D These are our monsters... My wife and I have had them as long as we've been together and they're now getting to be on the geriatric side. *Sigh*

Don't worry, there are 4 houses at Hogwarts. I don't know about you, but I'm vying for Gryffindor categorical.

gryffindor is def the best program at hogwarts, but the CBY is brutal. i would have ranked the advanced program, paired with an easier first year. i've heard the hufflepuff TY is cush. ;)

what happened to this thread??? Dogs and harry potter???

Maybe I am the only one annoyed that this thread has nothing to do with Rank Lists...

what happened to this thread??? Dogs and harry potter???

Maybe I am the only one annoyed that this thread has nothing to do with Rank Lists...

well, i guess this would be an inappropriate time to create a fake harry potter list in pig latin...

i agree with leverage. who else has a list? in fact, you can probably leave out your #1 at this point because it's probably Mayo (sorry...i couldn't resist). let's see those lists!

aww...kitties!

post those pics!

oh, and your lists...don't forget the lists...

Sweet. Basically everyone with no balls starts posting pictures of their animals and making fun of those that have posted. That's awesome.

Sweet. Basically everyone with no balls starts posting pictures of their animals and making fun of those that have posted. That's awesome.

Lighten up, Francis. Look back at this thread in two years time and you'll realize just how completely gay it is.

-copro

Lighten up, Francis. Look back at this thread in two years time and you'll realize just how completely gay it is.

-copro

Wrong, Gordon. I realize how completely gay it is right now. When I click on the link titled "Official 2008 Rank List Thread", I want to see where people want to go.

Not a bunch of your wet dreams.

Sorry to be a party pooper, sweetheart.

With all the dysfunction in this thread, I feel like I'm home for Thanksgiving. Thank you.

Seriously, no one else wants to post their list?

It is truly unfortunate that the guise of anonymity turns some future residents into douchebags. Seriously, why do some people care what others rank as their #1? I thought this forum was about sharing experiences, ideas, and encouraging each other through this very tough process and phase in our lives. I don’t know about you, but I don’t go on here to attack people and their choices. If you can’t even show respect and compassion toward your fellow applicants and future colleagues, how do you expect to care for patients at their most vulnerable state as an anesthesiologist?

We’re all in this together, so let’s try to get along…just like the puppies. We can all learn from the puppies! :love:

I agree. This makes me sad. If you are going to attack attack some one on something as benign as their rank lists, imagine working with that person.

I wish we were all mature enough to handle someone elses rank lists.

No wonder everyone wants to post animals instead of their rank lists.

No wonder everyone wants to post animals instead of their rank lists.

What do you hope to gain by looking at someone else's rank list? Seriously. Have you asked yourself that?

This thread serves no purpose at all, except for some sort of self-congratulatory masturbation session. And, it is gay. You'll see. Look back at it in a year or two. So, to have an Internet fight over it makes it's gayness logarithmic.

So, in the meantime, more puppies and kitties...

puppy_kitten2.jpg

-copro

In my opinion, the usefullness of posting the lists was two-fold. In the beginning, some people were using it to get a gauge for the general consensus of one program vs another. This seemed to help those people who were really struggling at the last minute to put their lists together. The other use of a thread like this is to get some idea of how popular certain programs are. Three weeks is a long time to be left only with your imagination concerning possible outcomes. For me, it was helpful to see how other people were ranking my top 4 choices. It gave me the tiniest glimpse of my "chances" of getting in. That then helped me to calm my *** down and barely think about the match in any given day since. For me, that benefit is priceless.

I would love for other people to continue to share their lists for the reasons I have mentioned. Some people find it useful. I honestly think that at this point, the people who are comfortable sharing, already have shared their lists. Sooooooooooooooo, let's see those puppies! OR, we can start a separate thread for puppy pics so that everyone is happy.

:)

Man-this thread became extremely lame...

I've got some big old brass balls, insult if you must but location tied my hands and I was damn impressed by some of these places:

1)Mayo Rochester
2)Med. Coll. Wis
3)Kansas-Kansas City
4)Nebraska-Omaha
5)Minnesota

Sorry to disappoint the apparent kitten fanatics on this thread. I'm all for a good joke, but, seriously?

At this rate Mayo is only going to make it 20 spots down their list to fill
eek3.gif

At this rate Mayo is only going to make it 20 spots down their list to fill
eek3.gif

Seriously, I wish I had applied there now. I just thought to myself--like some have already mentioned--well, it's in the middle of nowhere. But evidently it's made quite a few top 3 lists; many at the 1 spot. It must have something going for it. Good luck to all.

So...does anyone that hasn't posted yet care to share their list? I mean, the puppies and kittens are cute and all, but not very helpful for matching into Anesthesiology.

As a MSII, I'm still a ways off from applying, but I find the lists useful because I think it gives an idea of which programs are around the same level of competitiveness and which programs have similar sort of "personalities"/work environments.

At the risk of seeming like a ****** in light of all the super-duper high powered programs littering everyone else's rank order list in comparison to mine, here goes:

1. Louisville
2. Indiana
3. Tulane
4. Missouri - Kansas City
5. LSU - Shreveport

I did have Indiana at numero uno for a long time but ultimately changed my mind due to a number of reasons, not the least of which is my wife's preference to live in Louisville vs Indy, though I would be extremely, extremely happy at either program. I put Tulane at three because I really liked the program, was very impressed by the faculty and particularly the interim PD and also seemed to really hit it off with the residents I met. Had a great interview day there. Also it would be a ton of fun to live in NOLA for a few years, Katrina be damned. And I was secretly hoping I could meet and hang out with some of the SDN Gas forum regulars down there as well. OK, I made that last one up. Not that I wouldn't want to hang out with the super cool peeps of SDN, I guess. But that's not really why I ranked Tulane so highly. I really liked UMKC for a lot of reasons as well. I have some family in the area, also have some med school friends that are already there doing residency in other fields, so it would be nice to be there since I already have sort of a support system in place. Also was very impressed with Dr Fibuch, the PD for like 30 years there now. I thought this place offered one of the most well rounded experiences of all the places I looked and they are very strong in hearts which I liked a lot. I think UMKC is a real diamond in the rough kind of place. As for Shreveport, I was concerned with the probation status but I felt like they had a darn good plan in place for addressing that issue and I really think the program is now headed in a good direction. I just don't think the administration at LSU - Shreveport is going to let the program sink. I really think they will do everything in their power to right the ship so to speak. I also have some friends and family in the area as well so that always makes a big difference. I also really hit it off with their OB Anesthesia guy during my interview with him as we talked politics and it was in all honesty the most memorable interview I had all season. None of those canned ham interview questions, it was very conversational. They all seemed down to earth and I felt like I would fit in really well, so it jumped up quite a few spots from the interview experience. Hopefully I will land at one of my top five. The crying will start if I don't.

desultory,

I had to look it up

DESULTORY:marked by lack of definite plan or regularity or purpose; jumping from one thing to another. disappointing in progress, performance, or quality

Unless you were talking about the band that has a new album out.

eternity.jpg