Official 2008 Usmle Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings my brothers and sisters ,

I am new member here and will be taking my boards in another few months .
I thought I would start a thread devoted to a compilation of 2008 usmle experiences . I don't have anything to report as yet since my test is in a few month but anyone who has taken the test in 2008 please share with us your experience and feedback so we can keep the SDN tradition alive !

Good Luck :luck:

"Never , never , never , never Give up ! "

Members don't see this ad.

In First Aid it say to pass Step 1 you need to answer 60-70% of the questions correctly.

But on this thread most people claim that they're averaging 60-70% of their USMLE World or Kaplan qbank and getting 230+ on their actual boards.

Am I reading this correctly?

2 reasons:

#1--USMLEWorld and Qbank questions are harder than the real thing

#2--Averages on the qbanks represent what people have been getting since they STARTED studying, while the real test only represents the end result of studying. It makes sense that people are missing more questions before they have reviewed everything.

In First Aid it say to pass Step 1 you need to answer 60-70% of the questions correctly.

But on this thread most people claim that they're averaging 60-70% of their USMLE World or Kaplan qbank and getting 230+ on their actual boards.

Am I reading this correctly?

If you are hitting high 60s - 70% on random sets of UW in the last week or so, you are in pretty good shape to rock the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else's school only give them like 3 weeks total to study for step 1 and take some vacation? They way my school scheduled it, we basically have 1.5 weeks after finals to study for step 1 if we want to take a week vacation b4 the start of 3rd year. I guess i'll just have to be ready for step 1 by the time I take finals.

Does anyone else's school only give them like 3 weeks total to study for step 1 and take some vacation? They way my school scheduled it, we basically have 1.5 weeks after finals to study for step 1 if we want to take a week vacation b4 the start of 3rd year. I guess i'll just have to be ready for step 1 by the time I take finals.

Man that sucks, I'm sorry for you Docta. We get eight weeks for test/vacation. Right now I'm planning to do preliminary studying/filling in of FA before classes end so I can use about four or five of those weeks to study, do questions, and then vacation.

Wow that sux man. My school gives us a ton of time apparently. I just scheduled my exam last week for June 12 and that gives me exactly 7 weeks from the last day of classes to study. The best part is that it still leaves me with 2.5 weeks before I have to be back in NY for my mandatory pre-MSIII orientation!!

I took the test on Nov 13!!! Today I received the e mail that says that my score report is available!!!!!!! I went to oasis page and the score is not available yet. I dont understand ( why the sent me the e mail). I called ecfmg they told i have to wait a couple of hours! but is 9:44pm and im still waiting.:( Does anyone had similar situation?

I took the test on Nov 13!!! Today I received the e mail that says that my score report is available!!!!!!! I went to oasis page and the score is not available yet. I dont understand ( why the sent me the e mail). I called ecfmg they told i have to wait a couple of hours! but is 9:44pm and im still waiting.:( Does anyone had similar situation?

I got an e-mail recently that said they are changing the time of the release of the scores so that it coincides with normal business hours rather than having them released at like 11PM which I believe they may have done in the past. Believe it or not I think the implication was that they wanted the people who are getting their scores back to be able to have school officials/counselors available to talk to in the event that they didn't score well and needed someone to talk to about it

Question for 2008 step 1 testees
Did u really start doing question bank exams at the end of the second year or did u start at the beginning or start of december with the exam questions?
Thanks

Since there is no thread for 2008 here are my planning and results (248/99)
PS thanks to people on this forum that actually respond to posts like lankysudanese, blz, and others i cant remember.

NBME exams = These exams are a double edged sword. I planned on doing 1 a week leading up to the step and managed to do the first 3. The first 2 were very representative, I got the equivalent of a 219 the first day of studying after I got back from a weeks vacation on st marten; got the equivalent of a 232 8 days later; but NBME 3 is ridiculous, all molecular biochem and I dropped to a 224 so I got freaked out as this was 2 weeks before the test. As a result I didn’t take any more NBMEs but I think 1 and 2 are worth taking as you get closer to the test. Also something you should do is open up a word document while you take the test, and copy and paste all the questions you have trouble with so you can look up answers and explanations as none are provided. All in all the NBME are most like the exam so if you are having trouble with questions and concepts THEY WILL BE REPEATED on the real exam. Take them on your own discretion but definitely pay attention to 1 and 2.

UsmleWorld = Great resource that are duplicative of what the hard questions on the Step look like. A lot of the step is rapid recall but the hard questions are very hard and UW is like that. I started out with a few tests at 58 or 62%. I raised my overall average to 70% with a score consistently between 74 and 78% in the last 10-15 practice tests. All my practice tests were 50q, unused, timed, random. I was told online that 70% correlates to 245 score and I guess I hit that pretty close haha.

Books used = Here is a list of the books I used with emphasis on the ones I found most important and helpful for that subject. Number one is goljan rapid review, I never did the tapes but if you drive a lot at home then its worth popping in trouble subjects while you drive like respiratory for me. But goljan rapid review is the #1 book for step 1 prep hands down, you can probably answer biochem, genetics and physio questions after reading it haha. Second off is BRS Physio. The Kaplan guy is ******ed and goes on side stories for hours and spends 30 mins on the equation for free water clearance, I found him useless. BRS physio is readable within 2 days and makes sense of all the equations and concepts in a concise manner. For Kaplan, the behavioral book is amazing, Immuno is great and the pharmacology lectures are GOLD. The hardest pharm questions involve cardiac drugs and the antiarrhythmics with the graphs and stuff and that guy knocks them out cold. Plus it recaps physio a lot so it really cements a lot of concepts in your head. The only Kaplan books I didn’t use were the Qbook and pathology after the shelf as it is horribly inadequate.

First aid = First aid is a book but its more than that. The only thing I wish I did different was memorize first aid for another week which I feel would have added 5 points to my score easily. Honestly the test is 85% from first aid or at least felt that way. Numerous times I remember the exact page the answer was on first aid but could not recall the answer. Very key to finish off with.

Here is how I studied on a week to week basis when I got home. I spent a week in St Maarten after the Kaplan final to relax and unwind before 4-5 weeks of hellish studying which was a great time and a great idea. I think the key to staying sane is to regularly do something that takes your mind off the test which is something I feel everyone neglects. I worked out during the week religiously and I believe that was one of the key things that helped me stay focused. I also took about 2 days off in the middle randomly when I was burning out and my scores dipped.

Week 1 (Do 50 kaplan q bank questions upon waking and 50 question before bed, and read over explanations for those questions I got wrong and/or flagged)

Monday – Take NBME 1. Read Kaplan Histo/Anatomy

Tuesday – Read Kaplan Biochem

Wednesday – Finish Biochem

Thursday – Read Kaplan Genetics

Friday – Read Kaplan Neuro (in anatomy book)

Saturday – Finish Neuro

Sunday – Read Kaplan Immuno

Week 2 (purchased UsmleWorld, start out each day with 50 q and finish day with 50 questions, however read explanations for ALL QUESTIONS, this takes a while but is key)

Monday – Kaplan Micro

Tues – Start Kaplan Pharm

Wed – Finish Kaplan Pharm

Thurs - Read Kaplan Behavioral (emphasis on psychology, ethics, biostats, less emphasis on the random other stuff in there)

Fri - Took NBME 2 and then took rest of weekend off to relax with friends

Week 3 (continue UsmleWorld as week 2)

Monday – Begin Goljan Rapid Review….took the entire week up til the following Monday night to finish along with UsmleWorld questions

Saturday – Took NBME 3 and suffered consequent heart attack due to difficulty level and score drop

Week 4

Monday – Finished up Goljan and quickly reread through trouble sections like respiratory, derm, neoplasia

Tuesday – Took off

Wednesday – First Aid, Do 150 UsmleWorld questions

Thursday – First Aid, Do 150 UsmleWorld questions

Friday – First Aid, Do 150 UW questions

Saturday – same as Friday

Sunday – Same as Saturday

- I finished usmle world the Sunday before the test, thought that was appropriate. I read first aid in following manner. Behavioral and neoplasia first as they are the most “buzz word” or just rapid fact memorization such as genes, metastases locations, or other random stuff like sensitivity, specificity etc. Then I did stronger subjects of mine and left my weakest subjects along with super high yield for the week before the test. Overall I finished First Aid by late Sunday night.

Week 5 (Game time!!)

Monday – do the 150 question USMLE cd from the site, scored 41, 44, 45 on the three 50 q sections and 4 questions out of the set repeated including 3 I got wrong and read the explanations for on the kaplan site (Kaplan has explanations and answers). After test, read embryo, anatomy, and behavioral First Aid again as they are SO HIGH YIELD out of first aid. Embryo especially.

Tuesday – Memorized First Aid Microbio ….this was a big key to my score, most of microbio in FA was on the exam and I felt that I absolutely murdered it minus 2 questions on parasites and fungus but cmon who understands that stuff anyway? Memorizing this so close to the test along with it being so small was very important. I also memorized immuno right after as it is also small and full of random facts such as interleukins and CD markers that can be easily memorized that are relatively high yield

Wed – Went over GI and respiratory, my 2 biggest systemic path problem subjects along with last minute biochem. Stopped studying at 1-2 pm. Went for a good workout and then drove to test center, it was an hour away so I decided to make the morning easier I would stay at a motel. This is probably unnecessary detail but that night I relaxed by going to watch cloverfield and I had horrible nightmares cuz I am from NYC and that movie involves it. Moral of the story, watch a funny movie.

Thursday – STEP 1

Step 1 Experience

First off I only slept 3 hours the night before so im amazed I didn’t bomb the test. For eating, I packed 2 gatorades, a packet of trail mix and granola bar. In short, the food you have should not spike your blood sugar and make you crash and Gatorade is good for hydration, small details I feel affect test performance. I stayed away from caffeine until the last section. Before that section I pounded a coke zero and used the caffeine to push me over the finish line, a great idea. I took the first 2 sections back to back, then took a 10 min break after the third section, took a 30 min lunch break after the 4th, took 10 min breaks after the 5th and 6th. I thought it worked out well as I was always rested and never had issues with time. With lunch I actually called a quiznos across the street after my 3rd block and paid for food to be picked up in an hour so that way I didn’t spend any of my 30 min lunch break on line…simply ate it and relaxed. These are small details which again I feel helped the overall day by keeping stress at bay, something I know a lot of people have serious problems with so I included it. Now for the test breakdown =

60% Path = most stressed was Cardio path, then Neuro, Renal, and GI, a huge surprise. GI I got murdered in usmleworld but they prepared me really well for step 1. Example of tricky question = they showed a liver with a crapload of cancer everywhere and they ask you what is the disease process. Instead of hepatocellular carcinoma you had to realize that with so much cancer it was definitely metastases and the highest organ rate of liver metases is the colon so answer is colon adenocarcinoma. It was only a one sentence question but that’s how they ask for path, very tricky.

Pharm and Physio were equally emphasized but they were integrated with pathology or micro (especially pharm) every time. In fact a lot of pharm questions were 2 or 3 discipline questions often mixing micro and biochem, making pharm very tortuous.

Micro was very well represented with about 5-8 questions per block but also very integrated with immuno and pharm.

Immuno was surprisingly well represented but almost every immuno question opened with a micro question stem which made you know the mechanism of infectious pathology before thinking about the immunological response, probably the trickiest part of the test.

Biochem was either ridiculous molecular bio or disease process with missing enzyme but between Kaplan and First aid I happened to get most of them right according to my score report. Usmleworld also prepared me very well for this.

Genetics had like 2 or 3 questions, one was Hardy Weinberg, Kaplan was great for it including their practice questions and that is the only 10 mins on the genetics lecture video worth paying attention to on normal speed.

Nutrition is also a subtype of genetics that is very well represented on usmle world and the step, definitely pay attention to the pathology of it and how it affects the body, the questions were very in depth.

Behavioral was biostats which you just had to memorize or ethics which was about 1 or 2 questions per block. Not too high yield but not worth losing points on so put a little extra effort in

Final Grade = 248/99, not the highest grade but something im very proud of.

Any questions feel free to hit me up, I hated how I never got help even from my class peers while I was studying cept a few people who still supported. Hope this helps…..btw the most important score was the breathalyzer test the night of my Step 1 = approximately 0.19

You have mentioned that the exam is 85 % from FA. Do you mean that one can score 250 + by understanding and memorizing the whole FA ? What's your opinion on studying Robbins path for step1 ?

You have mentioned that the exam is 85 % from FA. Do you mean that one can score 250 + by understanding and memorizing the whole FA ? What's your opinion on studying Robbins path for step1 ?

Most high scorers would most likely not recommend Robbins as a good source for boards prep. It is an excellent source to understand the material, and if done with classes/ early in board prep, it can certainly make understanding much easier.

Answering most questions in UWorld, and probably the boards (I'll see on Mon) is a combination of pattern recognition, nomenclature, understanding, and memorization.

Robbins will help you with understanding and nomenclature, but it is not a good source to train your reflex to key words and associations. Thats why Rapid Review path is the preferred source, because it combines understanding with key associations.

There are people (although I imagine very few) who just sit down, read Big Robbins 2x through, do no questions, and score 250+. There are way more who use FA+RR path+UWorld who score >250. In the end it comes down to your learning style.

Most high scorers would most likely not recommend Robbins as a good source for boards prep. It is an excellent source to understand the material, and if done with classes/ early in board prep, it can certainly make understanding much easier.

Answering most questions in UWorld, and probably the boards (I'll see on Mon) is a combination of pattern recognition, nomenclature, understanding, and memorization.

Robbins will help you with understanding and nomenclature, but it is not a good source to train your reflex to key words and associations. Thats why Rapid Review path is the preferred source, because it combines understanding with key associations.

There are people (although I imagine very few) who just sit down, read Big Robbins 2x through, do no questions, and score 250+. There are way more who use FA+RR path+UWorld who score >250. In the end it comes down to your learning style.

Thanks for your valuable advice.

Thanks for your valuable advice.

Members don't see this ad :)

Have you secured your test date yet? Taking it early or late may allow for the vacation or the extra study time you desire. But yes, it does sound like your school just said "bend over", my condolences.

Sorry people, this is gonna be a long one, but I'll start with the stuff people care about.

Stats:
MCAT 34
4/28/08 NBME 1: 195
6/13/08 NBME 2: 232
9/08 Medicine Shelf 79
11/15/08 UWorld Assesment 1: 222
11/24/08 NBME 1: 228
11/28/08 NBME 2: 221
11/30/08 NBME 3: 224
12/19/08 UWorld Assesment 2: 244
UWorld Average: 74% low of 56, high of 87. Mode 72.
12/29/08: Step 1: 246

Background:
I'm a US student at an allopathic top 20 school, pass/fail. Probably in the lower 1/2 of my class the first two years. I did not learn the material well during first or second year, partly because of organization/motivation and party because I do not learn well from lectures.

First time:
So school let out in April, and we were given 7 weeks to study. I had listened to some of Goljan's lectures prior to starting studying, and read some chapters in RR path in lieu of studying the class notes.
4/28/08 NBME 1: 195
I tried following the schedule found:

http://rumorsweretrue.wordpress.com/2007/01/09/how-to-prepare-for-the-usmle-setting-a-schedule/

At the time the schedule made sense, and still think its a solid schedule if you have a decent base. I did pretty good sticking to it. Resources I used included: FA, RR Path, RR Micro, BRS Phys, Micro Cards, Pharm Cards, HY Neuro, Gray's Anatomy for Students (Pictures).
I watched some Kaplan lectures for anatomy, focused on doing questions, and tried to go through some of Goljan.
6/13/08 NBME 2: 232
I told myself that I wouldn't take the test if I didn't think I was going to get a 240. So I didn't take it. At the time people questioned my decision, but I am pretty sure I want to do something competitive, and didn't want to close doors. Whats another 6 weeks or even 6 months for a lifetime of happiness?

Interim
So I went ahead and started clinical rotations, knowing I would have to go back and address this monster. I completed medicine, OB/Gyn, and Psych. I would have to say that taking shelf exams, and seeing clinical cases probably helped me answer 2-3 questions every block. After having done psychiatry, behavioral science on the actual step was cake. It also helped with understanding some of the reproductive stuff that I always had trouble with. Drugs were also WAY easier, because I had seen them used clinically.

Second Time
Resources:
In Full: FA, RR Path, Levinson's Immuno, HY Cell/Molec 99
Moderate Use: BRS Phys, RR Path, Kaplan Biochem
Light Use: HY Neuro, Robbin's Basic Path, Kaplan Q Book, FA Q Book
Audio: Rapid Recall, Goljan

During my Psych rotation, I read the first two chapters of Robbins BASIC Path (the 700, not 1300 page version), and did the corresponding chapters in Robbin's Review QBook. I also did Levinson's (just the immuno section, ~80 pages, which I printed for free from our school's online access) and did 1/2 of the Immuno questions in UWorld. Towards the end of my psych rotation, I reviewed chapters in BRS Psych that were relevant to both my upcoming shelf, as well as the end chapters on statistics. I then did the 1/2 the behavioral and biostats questions in UWorld. I also did some UWorld step 2 questions, in preparation for my shelf.

The psych rotation ended, and I decided to use UWorld as a shell to direct my studying.
11/15/08 UWorld Assesment 1: 222
I read through Taus' plan, and modified it some to suit my needs. I focused on understanding why, and not so much on memorizing.
1. Organ systems: In UWorld I created tests for each organ system. Specifically, on the subjects/left side I chose Phys, Path, Pathphys, and pharm, and selected the organ system on the right. I made the tests in tutor mode using up 1/2 of the questions available. (I like tutor mode for comprehension as I don't have to re-read the question to remember what it was about, like in timed blocks of 48.) I then read the chapter in BRS phys, did the end of chapter questions, read the corresponding chapters in RR path, read through the drugs in FA, and then did the UWorld questions I had created. I did this for GI, Renal, Cardio, Pulm, Endocrine, and Repro. For Neuro, Heme/Onc, Musc/Skel, and any of the other organ systems in RR that didn't have a corresponding chapter in BRS, I just read the chapters in RR Path, and did UWorld questions.
2. Subjects: I made tests in Tutor mode by subject, using half the questions available. This included, embryo, anatomy(excluding Neuro), Neuroanatomy, Micro, Biochem, and Genetics.
FA for embryo, anatomy (beginning sections of each organ system except neuro), and Micro.
FA Neuro (anatomy section) and select pages from HY Neuro for Neuro anatomy.
Kaplan's Biochem (from overview of metabolism through fat metabolism).
HY Cell/Molec (even though I didn't like it because everything seemed outdated, and they kept talking about what things "probably were" when in fact now we know. (i.e. the mechanism of huntington's disease.)
After reading a subject, I did the questions.

Somewhere during this time I did some NBMEs. The first one was ok, but then I got demoralized after the second one. The whole time I was worried about why my score wasn't going up. I also tried grading them, which took up a decent amount of time. After the 3rd one I figured I clearly didn't know enough, so my nose went to the grindstone. In a way, the anxiety it produced motivated me. not gonna lie though, it was miserable to think my score was going down. If I had to go back, I would have given myself at least 2 weeks in between NBMEs.
11/24/08 NBME 1: 228
11/28/08 NBME 2: 221
11/30/08 NBME 3: 224

3.This left me with 1/2 the question bank to use for timed random. I did 2 blocks a day, and then reviewed them.
I started on Taus' last two week plan, but actually did it over about 3 weeks, knowing I would have to take some days off for a friend visiting. I didn't get through everything as much as I would have wanted, and it was making me miserable.

Ten days before the test I took another assesment.

12/19/08 UWorld Assesment 2: 244
I finished up timed random questions, and started to repeat questions I got wrong.

Tip: UWorld has this weird thing about using the most recent wrong questions to make tests. This is annoying because you remember the answer when you really wanted to try to review the mechanism. If you make the tests as soon as you have 48 wrong questions, the questions you review will be the most distant.

I went to kinkos and made a laminated sheet, and got some dry erase markers. I practiced writing things out from memory, and whenever I didn't know it I would review it. I did this mostly for biochem, but also for drugs, diagrams etc. I'm a visual learner, so this was helpful for me, and I would reccommend it to for the last week or so when your really trying to pack it in the details.

The last 3 days was FA tagged pages, some HY Neuro pics, Goljan's Margin notes, Goljan questions (the last 100q's in his book, which I thought were AWESOME with excellent explanations).

Test Day:
I stayed at a hotel across the street from the test center, since it was about an hour away from my house.

I had this weird dream about taking the test in some conference room, and then having a bunch of people kick me out of the room and needing to reschedule the test. Weird.

I woke up at 5AM, and did the rapid review section in FA while having some continental breakfast. I made sure to have some protein for lasting energy, as well as avoid drinking too much. I also had a cup of coffee to give me a little pep. Reviewing the day of is a personal preference, as I like to get my brain warmed up before I start a test.

I memorized a bunch of formulas, wrote them down right when I got in the test, and ended up never using them (hah!). I also brought my FA, RR, HY Neuro, and BRS phys to the test center, also never used. (double hah!)

I did the sections two at a time, taking between 10-15 minutes between, when I ate 1/2 a sandwich, and drank some vitamin water energy. The point of these breaks was to clear my head and make sure I wouldn't be distracted by hunger pains. I knew I couldn't eat too much or I might have a food coma.

Actual Test
After writing my formulas, I paused for a moment, the put in my code. I made sure my headphones were working, then started block one. Questions were of comparable length to UWorld, maybe on average 1-2 sentences longer. Their were 10+ line questions and 2 liners. It was a mix, but most were about 3-4 lines. I was hoping it would be like that, but was prepared for questions like the medicine shelf, which would have been tough.
I read the last line of the question first, and about 1/3 of the time could come up with the answer. Somewhere in block 5 I realized if I read the last two lines of the question, I could come up with the answer 50% of the time. This is def. useful if you are a slow test taker, like I used to be =).
I made sure to read the rest of the question to be sure I didn't miss something.

I saw one question verbatim from UWorld, and at least 10 that were essentially the same question with some minor variation. I marked on average 7-8 questions per block, and finished each block with about 10 minutes to spare, during which I would go over my marked questions.
In general UWorld, FA, and RR covered everything.
The one thing that surprised me was that I got a lot of pelvis anatomy. Only 2 brachial plexus questions. One or two brainstem questions. Nothing really came out of left field, but I realized my weakness was the questions that were verbal path descriptions. I got one audio/visual, which was pretty easy.
I definitely felt the UWorld beatdown makes you feel better on test day, despite feeling like crap while studying. I felt like the test was OK, fair, slightly easier than UWorld, not as tricky, etc.

Thoughts:
In class: I would have read Robbin's Basic, instead of reading Big Robbins, and would have done Robbin's QBook with. I read probably 6 or some chapters of big robbins, but am not a fast reader, and did not retain a lot of the information. For those of you who do not like dense textbooks, look into Robbins Basic Path.
First time around: I would not have done so many questions to begin with. I started with random timed, and probably would have been better off by subjects until I had a good grasp of the material.
The last week was really stressful for me. I did UWorld, and would be grateful for a 244, but wasn't sure if it was a fluke. I also didnt want to take another NBME and get knocked down. I kept reminding myself that even the high scorers feel stressed during the last week. I told myself I'd be happy with anything above a 235, and that I needed to focus on memorizing as much as possible in the last week.

Thanks
I want to thank DWade, Taus, and all the previous USMLE Step I experience posters. Reading these boards not only gave me a idea of the process, but also kept me sane by reassuring me everyone experiences the rollercoast of Step I prep.

If I think of more stuff I'll update, and I'll also update with my score. I'd be more than happy to field questions. The sooner the better, as the experience is fresh in the brain.

P.S.
So there was this other student there taking step II, and they were using the New Fredv2 software.

If you look at the USMLE.com step I 2009 orientation materials, the step I tutorial is in Fredv2 Software. There are some weird 2 step questions (i.e answer a question, and then it asks you a second in regard to the first), and more audio/video materials.

So the other girl taking the test had a Windows runtime error, and they had to pause the test. I'm glad I didn't have to use the new software.

Score Update
Score in, 243. Although I was hoping to get >250, I'm happy with my score and in no way does it restrict my opportunities.

Last edited:
Laxman, how come you took the medicine clerkship before the boards? Our school will not let us start clerkships until we have written the step 1.

In any case, your test experience sounds a lot like mine. I used the same strategy to approach questions and it paid off well. :thumbup:

Laxman:

Thanks for the detailed review. I have a question about "If you look at the USMLE.com step I 2009 orientation materials, the step I tutorial is in Fredv2 Software. There are some weird 2 step questions (i.e answer a question, and then it asks you a second in regard to the first), and more audio/video materials."

1. Are you saying that you know for sure that we will have the same thing on step1 or are you just assuming it?

2. Also, do you recommend doing step2 internal medicine questions as a step 1 prep?

Thanks.

Laxman:

Thanks for the detailed review. I have a question about "If you look at the USMLE.com step I 2009 orientation materials, the step I tutorial is in Fredv2 Software. There are some weird 2 step questions (i.e answer a question, and then it asks you a second in regard to the first), and more audio/video materials."

1. Are you saying that you know for sure that we will have the same thing on step1 or are you just assuming it?

2. Also, do you recommend doing step2 internal medicine questions as a step 1 prep?

Thanks.

I know the q was addressed for Laxman, but to answer it... YES... For students taking the exam in 09, they will be taking the FREDv2 format, which includes a nice little calculator for those calculation q's (;))... but I'm pretty sure that means that they'll make the calculation q's a bit harder, but then again, who knows. And yes, they've incorporated those 2 step questions where after answering one, the answer you've chosen will lock and supposedly you won't be able to change it afterwards... so after you select your answer, you'll be able to read the 2nd part of the question.

Also, I was very surprised when I took my exam because I had like 2 Step 2 questions, where they asked "what would be your next step in management of this pt?" or something within those lines, and apparently my wife did as well... So I don't know if they're just trying this slow, minute incorporation before they completely combine the exams together or what... but it's good to note.

So with this, Happy New Years everyone, and may this coming year bring lots of love, happiness, and most importantly HEALTH to everyone!!! Much success to ladies/gents.

D

Laxman, how come you took the medicine clerkship before the boards? Our school will not let us start clerkships until we have written the step 1.

In any case, your test experience sounds a lot like mine. I used the same strategy to approach questions and it paid off well. :thumbup:

Yea, my school doesn't require us to do that. We just need to take step 1 and 2 before we graduate.

Laxman:

Thanks.

1. I know some time next year they are going to phase in the Fredv2 software.
http://usmle.org/General_Information/FredV2/index.html

2. Nope. Unless you've exhausted all the other resources (Uworld, Qbank, USMLERX, Robbins, etc...). I used those to study for my shelf.

Last edited:
Hope it is not too premature, but I posted up a new 2009 Step I thread...

Thanks to all SDN members who have contributed their experiences and prep schedules. I owe you all a great deal of gratitude for but my USMLE and COMLEX preparedness.

Happy new year to all.

I know the q was addressed for Laxman, but to answer it... YES... For students taking the exam in 09, they will be taking the FREDv2 format, which includes a nice little calculator for those calculation q's (;))... but I'm pretty sure that means that they'll make the calculation q's a bit harder, but then again, who knows. And yes, they've incorporated those 2 step questions where after answering one, the answer you've chosen will lock and supposedly you won't be able to change it afterwards... so after you select your answer, you'll be able to read the 2nd part of the question.

Also, I was very surprised when I took my exam because I had like 2 Step 2 questions, where they asked "what would be your next step in management of this pt?" or something within those lines, and apparently my wife did as well... So I don't know if they're just trying this slow, minute incorporation before they completely combine the exams together or what... but it's good to note.

So with this, Happy New Years everyone, and may this coming year bring lots of love, happiness, and most importantly HEALTH to everyone!!! Much success to ladies/gents.

D

Thanks for the input. Happy New Year to you too.:)

Hello, Long time reader but not a regular poster. I found this board really helpful in preparing for step 1 so I thought I would contribute as well.

We Had 28 days maximum without class to study for boards. I took 26 days of dedicated studying time but really started studying back in Jan. by doing questions and started putting the longer hours in around april/may

Started taking NBME's 8 wks out from test date with 4 wks left in school.
NBME 3 --8wks out --245
NBME 2--6 wks out--254
USMLE world test--4 wks out 263
NBME 6-- 2wks out --261
NBME 5--10 days before--259

USMLE world avg: 76% when completely finished. I would say that my scores fluctuated from low 70's to high 80's even at the end. Did not have many scores in the 60's nor in the 90’s

MCAT score: 31
Actual Score: 264/99

Resources Used:
Bought way too many books, way too many books. With only 4 wks to study you just can't read a ton with so little time. I'm only going to put the books that I found most Useful
-Biochem: Kaplan hands down. The book has everything you could need. Even does a good job covering molecular & cellular biology. Watched the DVD’s and found them very helpful as well. I read the book 2 times through, once first year and again before boards and added relevant stuff to first aid. USMLE world was really good for nailing down the biochem minutia
-Behavioral: Had trouble with this section. I think a lot people blow it off but there is a fair amount of easy points to be had with biostats etc. Spent 2 days reading Hi-yield behavioral. Referenced BRS behavioral when I needed more detail. Used Kaplan during school year. It is good and the videos are really really good esp. for biostats.
-Genetics: Kaplan again—all I needed was there. Videos were not so helpful
-Physiology: BRS Phys + Kaplan. I found Kaplan to be the most helpful for boards. The videos were great. Probably went through them twice
-Pathology: I’m a Goljan fan. Listened to the lectures numerous times and read the book consistently throughout 2nd year. Though the book can be difficult to read I think it covers the most info and does a superior job integrating the information. BRS path does not do so much integration
-Pharmacology: Mainly First aid, had every thing I needed to know for boards. Had made flashcards of all drugs in first aid through out 2nd year as we went through each section. Just crammed them to study for boards. Also used lange pharm board review and pharmacology recall. Pharm is a pain in the neck, a lot of details.
-Micro: One of the best sections in first aid, has a lot of hi-yield details. Read MMRS when I needed more detail. Also read some of RR Micro. Did the Microcards by Harpavat (best flashcards for micro). Had done Kaplan during school year(it is good but a lot of detail)
-Immuno: Read kaplan during school year. Only first aid during boards studying
-Anatomy/Embryology: First aid with high yield embryology and USMLE road map gross anatomy. Hard subjects to prepare for because of sheer volume and relatively few questions asked. First aid is enough for embryo—just cram it. Anatomy is hit or miss no real way to cover it all

Question banks: USMLE world hands down
-USMLE world: best bang for the buck and where I probably learned the most info. Started it around may and finished early June. Went through all right and wrong answers. Probably took me almost 2 hours to go through a block of 48 ques. But extremely worth it. Best overall resource besides first aid.

-Elsevier question bank: Ok. It was cheap and I started doing it around Dec/Jan. Good to use during sections in class

-Kaplan Qbook: Good questions and answers

-Robbins review of pathology: Did through out year. Very good.

Bought basically all of the question books Long Dong mentioned in his board prep blurb but did not have time to use them. Got through 1 book of BSS (board simulator series) Found them hard but good.

Tips:
--Best way to do well I believe is to work real hard 1st and mainly 2nd year. I stopped going to class and stopped using class materials, did not listen to lectures most of 2nd year. Used robbins and goljan through out the year. Passed all my classes. Did not do awesome but was generally slight above average. Got to try to learn as much as possible before boards studying begins
--Don’t put off info that is talked about in first aid/Goljan but not in class. Learn it when you are going through the relevant sections. TRY TO AVOID LEARNING TOO MUCH NEW INFORMATION OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKS OF BOARD STUDYING—it doesn’t work to well
--Questions, questions, Questions. Have to test yourself to make sure you really know all that you think you do. I probably did about 7,000 questions and still wish I had done more. I found it really helpful to go through right and wrong answers and to do the questions randomly in blocks of 48.
--Set a goal and work for it. Don’t be intimidated just work hard and steady. If you do a lot of questions/ take a few NBME there are not going to be to many surprises on the real deal. Don’t listen to all the crap about having to read a ton of books, having to know first aid cold, the real deal being so much harder then the practice questions. It is all just a lot of hot air. I didn't feel I knew first aid cold, or any resource cold.
--You don't have to be the best in your class to get a good score. I never got the highest grade in class and my studdy buddy that got a 266 barely passed a couple of tests 1st year and was avg 2nd year. (But the better you do in class probably the better you will do on boards-don't want to lie)

Best Advice: work hard and be consistant. Educate yourself about the usmle. Start prepping early but don’t blow off school because all of 2nd year is high yield. Do a ton of questions and focus on weaknesses as they pop up
Best materials overall: Goljan, USMLE world, First aid.

Hope this is helpful and good luck

I'm an IMG, I plan to take the Step 1 around may 2009 and I'm basing my study in the Kaplan Lecture Notes books 2006-2007... As an IMG it's hard for me to access all these books you guys use to ACE the examn, like BRS, high-Yield, Goljan and so on.... So I was freaking out when all I read in these boards was about any kind of books but Kaplan's.

I know my books are probably are out of date, but I think they are not too old... I plan to base my study and review on these, Actualized FA of course, and at least 3 QBANKS (maybe Kaplan's first, another, and UW the last) so I get to know what is being tested on the Real Exam so I can put aside any Low Yield topics that might still be in these "old books".

In case I need a further review of any topic, I have downloaded some of the books you all mention in these threads, for cross-reference... (I'd appreciate if any of you had any of them in .pdf version or knew where I could find them)

What do u guys think about my plan with the resources I have?

I'm an IMG, I plan to take the Step 1 around may 2009 and I'm basing my study in the Kaplan Lecture Notes books 2006-2007... As an IMG it's hard for me to access all these books you guys use to ACE the examn, like BRS, high-Yield, Goljan and so on.... So I was freaking out when all I read in these boards was about any kind of books but Kaplan's.

I know my books are probably are out of date, but I think they are not too old... I plan to base my study and review on these, Actualized FA of course, and at least 3 QBANKS (maybe Kaplan's first, another, and UW the last) so I get to know what is being tested on the Real Exam so I can put aside any Low Yield topics that might still be in these "old books".

In case I need a further review of any topic, I have downloaded some of the books you all mention in these threads, for cross-reference... (I'd appreciate if any of you had any of them in .pdf version or knew where I could find them)

What do u guys think about my plan with the resources I have?

hey
can't you just order the books online?

They take more than a month to arrive, plus, I don't really have the money to buy them all... that's why I plan to stick to Kaplan's, check the .pdf version for any cross-reference, further details or explanations, and do 2 or 3 Qbanks (that's where I intend to invest the money I have)

I think it's smarter to invest in Qbanks than in review books, right?

Hi Everyone,

I've never posted before but since I used this forum extensively for stats and advice I thought I'd contribute mine since the whole step 1 experience is now done. I am a non US citizen IMG and as such had to study a little longer than most to cover areas not covered by my med school (biochem, pharm, micro).

Resources:

UW, Goljan audio, RR path (reference only, didn't read it), FA 2008 - I didn't really read any books per say, just used them to reference material and used FA as a sort of step 1 information bible, where I would write down extra notes and key info for common exam questions in the relevant sections. Most extra info came from UW.

Scores:

UW - 62% (first time through done one section at a time), re-did all incorrect questions (also by section), finally did about 10 sets of 48 random questions (was scoring about 90% on these). Altogether I did over 3000 UW questions. At the end of the whole thing the average was 72%.

USMLE Free 150 - 81%
NBME 3 - 232
UW Assessment 2 - 247
Goljan Q-bank - 82%
UW Assessment 1 - 238
Step 1 - 247 (test taken Dec. 8th 2008)

Test itself

I walked out of there not knowing what had happened really, I was absolutely drained. I think most people will never be able to know if they did well or if they did poorly on this test. You just have to use all you can muster to rule out answers and select the best possible one. Questions that I knew for sure at the time were few and far between.

I am happy to answer any questions if anyone has some.
Good luck to those of you waiting for scores or taking the test soon.
Thanks also to SDN

Hi Everyone,

I've never posted before but since I used this forum extensively for stats and advice I thought I'd contribute mine since the whole step 1 experience is now done. I am a non US citizen IMG and as such had to study a little longer than most to cover areas not covered by my med school (biochem, pharm, micro).

Resources:

UW, Goljan audio, RR path (reference only, didn't read it), FA 2008 - I didn't really read any books per say, just used them to reference material and used FA as a sort of step 1 information bible, where I would write down extra notes and key info for common exam questions in the relevant sections. Most extra info came from UW.

Scores:

UW - 62% (first time through done one section at a time), re-did all incorrect questions (also by section), finally did about 10 sets of 48 random questions (was scoring about 90% on these). Altogether I did over 3000 UW questions. At the end of the whole thing the average was 72%.

USMLE Free 150 - 81%
NBME 3 - 232
UW Assessment 2 - 247
Goljan Q-bank - 82%
UW Assessment 1 - 238
Step 1 - 247 (test taken Dec. 8th 2008)

Test itself

I walked out of there not knowing what had happened really, I was absolutely drained. I think most people will never be able to know if they did well or if they did poorly on this test. You just have to use all you can muster to rule out answers and select the best possible one. Questions that I knew for sure at the time were few and far between.

I am happy to answer any questions if anyone has some.
Good luck to those of you waiting for scores or taking the test soon.
Thanks also to SDN

thanks. what is "goljan q bank"...?

Goljan Q-bank is a set of 7 blocks of questions that comes with Rapid Review Pathology. It is delivered through studentconsult. I did these near the very end of my study. I didn't find them to be as useful as UW but that may only be due to the fact that I had already done a ton of UW.

My study schedule was pretty intense. I go to school in Australia and the curriculum there is quite different from in the US. There is less focus on biochem, pharm, and micro, so I had to make up for these on my own. As I went through the blocks I would do some of the relevant UW questions but didn't really study in earnest until about 3 months out. At my school the last 3 months of second year are pretty slack and that left a lot of time to study USMLE. I would say that over these three months I consistently put in about 10-12 hours per day doing questions and reviewing them after taking the tests. I would do about 20 questions at a time then go back and review all the information that UW had on each question. It was a long process but it worked. I didn't really dedicate any set amounts of time to anything just worked through the UW material as quickly as I could, but still making sure I understood all the info presented by UW about each question. I worked in sections doing all cardio pathology then all resp pathology etc. Then I did all biochem, then all micro, etc etc. I worked in Goljan when appropriate (ie: if I was doing UW cardio path, I would listen to Goljan's cardio lectures on those days as well). I probably studied longer than most students at US schools do but the differences in crriculum really demand it from people studying outside the US.

Congrats Midfielder! Fantastic score.

Australian med student here too (UQ). Will find out my score in a week or two. :p

I chose NBME 3 because it seemed (from this forum) that it was most reflective of people's actual score. I didn't do any others because I thought at that point doing another NBME would be $45 to either reduce my confidence or cause second guessing. Maybe doing more would have led to a higher score - who knows. As for the exam format I think the NBME assessment felt most like the real thing, mostly in that I really had no idea how I was doing as I went through the questions.

Pollux, good luck with it - hope you smashed it. Brisbane must be a great place to live and study. I'm at Flinders.

Congrats Midfielder! Fantastic score.

Australian med student here too (UQ). Will find out my score in a week or two. :p

Hey, can I ask you something?

What does motivate you to go to USA rather than stay in Australia for training?

Well, I can understand when an IMG from developing countries do so, but from Australia?

I'm just curious...

Everyone has their reasons - i'm from the UK and hoping to cross the pond for family reasons, but yeah its the exception rather than the rule

Hey, can I ask you something?

What does motivate you to go to USA rather than stay in Australia for training?

Well, I can understand when an IMG from developing countries do so, but from Australia?

I'm just curious...

I'm actually from Taiwan, if that makes any difference. I'm an international student studying in Australia.

The main reason for me to go to US is because the training is significantly shorter. I'd like to pursue a career in Pathology (as of now, might change again in the future), and the training in Anatomical pathology alone in Australia takes 6 years (1 year general internship + 5 year residency), whereas it only takes 4 years in US for training in Anatomical/Chemical pathology combined program.

Btw, my step 1 score came out today. I got 276/99. ;)
Please make a trip to the 2009 scores thread if interested.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7626798&postcount=36

I'm actually from Taiwan, if that makes any difference. I'm an international student studying in Australia.

The main reason for me to go to US is because the training is significantly shorter. I'd like to pursue a career in Pathology (as of now, might change again in the future), and the training in Anatomical pathology alone in Australia takes 6 years (1 year general internship + 5 year residency), whereas it only takes 4 years in US for training in Anatomical/Chemical pathology combined program.

Btw, my step 1 score came out today. I got 276/99. ;)
Please make a trip to the 2009 scores thread if interested.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7626798&postcount=36

You should be thrown in prison. Rape is illegal. You just raped the exam.

Haha, thanks guys! I was just as incredulous as you were when I first saw my score; I thought it might have been a typo or something. :)

Heyy I have been reading this forum for awhile now and I just took my exam yesterday. So, it definitely was not as bad as my friends had told me. I was told there is a chance I will know 10 questions per section so they scared me BIG TIME. Plus, my NBME scores were pretty borderline (high fail/low pass range). So anyways, I went in for the exam thinking it was gonna go horribly but I just realized I couldn't study anymore...but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. I knew about half the questions per section and then hopefully guessed well. I was wondering from ppl who have taken it and gotten scores...if I knew about 25-27 questions per section for sure...do I have a good chance of passing? I know it won't be a phenomenal score, but I wanna put this test behind me now. Let me know your thoughts. I have 3 weeks and it's much better to think you fail and then surprisingly pass than the other way around...:eek: Thanks guys for any help!

Can anyone help me figure out what this score means?
I gave the test on 12/21/08 and am an Indian 3rd year MBBS student from pretty unknown college.. and will probably be applying with these scores 2-3 yrs later(if that makes any difference)
i'll be giving my 2nd step right after my final year..

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/kurt-cocaine/result.jpg

so could any of you who have experience with the application procedures tell me how bad is this score?? coz everyone seems to be getting 95+, and an 87 seems pretty ****ty in comparison to that..
and is it so bad that i shouldn't even consider giving step2 or if i kick-ass on it(95+) i still have some chance of landing medicine/ paeds is decent to good hospital??

Thanks

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/kurt-cocaine/result.jpg

so could any of you who have experience with the application procedures tell me how bad is this score?? coz everyone seems to be getting 95+, and an 87 seems pretty ****ty in comparison to that..
and is it so bad that i shouldn't even consider giving step2 or if i kick-ass on it(95+) i still have some chance of landing medicine/ paeds is decent to good hospital??

Thanks

The two-digit score DOES NOT matter. It is not a percentage or percentile.

I think the average for Step 1 was around ~217 last year, so you did pretty well. Good luck with your studies.

The two-digit score DOES NOT matter. It is not a percentage or percentile.

I think the average for Step 1 was around ~217 last year, so you did pretty well. Good luck with your studies.

what do u mean it doesnt matter??
what about all the people who keep on posting 240+/95+ scores??
if someone could pm me and please explain that would be great
thanks

what do u mean it doesnt matter??
what about all the people who keep on posting 240+/95+ scores??
if someone could pm me and please explain that would be great
thanks

Residency applicants misinterpret their United States Medical Licensing Exam Scores

Advances in Health Sciences Education

Roger C. Jones1 and Norman A. Desbiens1

(1) Department of Medicine, University of Tennessee College of Medicine – Chattanooga Unit, 975 East Third Street, Chattanooga, TN 37403, USA
Received: 24 January 2007 Accepted: 1 April 2007 Published online: 31 October 2007

Abstract Proper interpretation of the results of the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) is important for program directors, residents, and faculty who advise applicants about applying for residency positions. We suspected that applicants often misinterpreted their performance in relationship to others who took the same examination. In 2005, 54 consecutive applicants to the University of Tennessee, College of Medicine internal medicine residency program were asked to complete a brief survey about their performance on Parts 1 and 2 of the USMLE exam. When asked what percentile their Part I score represented, slightly over one in ten were unsure or did not know, and nearly three out of five wrote in their two-digit score. Of the 15 who wrote in another number, only a third were within ten percentile points of their estimated percentile. Similar results were seen for Part II. A higher percentage of international medical graduates (IMGs) than U.S. applicants responded to the percentile question with their two-digit scores (79% vs. 50% p = .08). Applicants to residency programs frequently misinterpret their performance on the USMLE compared to their peers. Unless they are high performers, those who misinterpret their two-digit scores as percentiles markedly overestimate their performance. The sponsors of the USMLE should discontinue reporting the two-digit score and consider re-instating the reporting of percentiles.

Keywords Graduate medical education - Percentile scores - Residency application - Score interpretation - United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)

http://www.springerlink.com/content/3688l8063062m181/

First of all, I want to say thank you all of SDN for your encouragement and advice, especially to DarlynVMD for his support and help throughout my studies.

I am a Caribbean med school student and have been studying for the steps since beginning of october. I took my test on 2/3/09.

I hope this post will help all the other Caribbean med school students never to give up no matter what and to always have faith in yourself.

In chronological order:
SAT: 1410 (800 math, 610 verbal)
Undergrad GPA: 2.8 (did horrible in college until the last year)
MCAT: 25 (10 physics, 9 bio, 6 verbal)
Basic sciences GPA: 3.0
Started studying for my school's comp: 8/11
NBME 1: 175 (8/24/08)
NBME 2: 172 (9/3/08)
NBME 3: 166 (9/10/08)
COMP: 192 (9/16/08) passed to take the steps
Kaplan 7 week program: 10/1/08 - 11/16/08
Started studying for Step 1: 11/27/08
Really started studying: 1/1/09
NBME 6: 198 (12/16/08)
NBME 4: 198 (12/23/08)
NBME 5: 209 (1/13/09)
USMLE 150 Q's: 215 (1/13/09)
Step 1 USMLE: 226/94 (2/3/09)

Some background info:
I would have to say that I was a pretty bad college student. I was suprised at myself to even make it into a caribbean medical school with that low of a GPA. But I did and I tried my hardest in the 1st 2 years of the island. I never failed any semesters, nor did extremely well, but I stayed with the class and kept going. As I went on in med school, I finally learned the proper way of studying (which I've never done before) and pacing myself.

So our class ended on 8/11/08, and were all given about a month to study for our COMP, which we were required to pass in order to register for the Step 1. I tried using both UsmleRx and FA at first, but eventually ended up using FA exclusively (read x2 times) to pass the comp.

Took 2 weeks break after comp before Kaplan classes started.

Kaplan impressions: (10/1/08 - 11/16/08)
It was 8-10 hours of lectures a day, leaving very little time afterwards to reread or to do questions. Every day after class, I organized a study group in which we discuss the day's worth of materials and do some Q's. The course may have helped in the end, but I felt that if I used this time to read all the recommended books from Tao's method (you know, the usual RR path, RR biochem, levinson for immuno, etc) I could have had better use of the 7 weeks.

Took 2 weeks break after kaplan course to clear my head before starting to study.

What I've done to study - 1st month:
I planned to do every single question in UW as well as incorporating its notes into FA within a month. I started doing purely UW Qbank. Started in the mid 40's and it didn't seem to improve over time. I thought that Kaplan had helped me to review all my basic sciences and that I was ready for purely questions, but I was wrong. As you can see, my NBME scores didn't improve much in december, nor did the 2 UW assessment tests (which I scored 195 on both). I originally planned to take the steps before Christmas, but after realizing that I wasn't nearly where I should be (only finished about 50% of UW), I pushed back to end of January.

2nd month:
I sucked up my frustration of having low scores and decided to formulate an ultimate plan to help me get at least a 220. Here's the thread that everyone helped me to make this plan:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=588572

Although there has been some minor changes in the plan, I followed it very closely. I felt that reviewing the material first, followed by questions helped me tremendously more compared to only doing the questions. I finished UW around 1/12/09 and started doing random Kaplan Qbank questions as well as all incorrect UW Q's.

All in all, I did the entire UW, all incorrect UW Q's twice, about 1000 random Kaplan Qbank Q's, 6 NBME's, 2 UW assessments, and the free 150 Q Step 1 sample Q's before I took my exam.

I ended up extending the test 1 more week, to review FA with all its annotated notes 1 more time, as well as having a chance to do blocks of timed random questions in the morning to get used to taking the test and pacing myself.

Test day:
I woke up 7am that morning and didn't do any heavy studying. I went over my sheet of formulas that I never end up using on the test. Ate cereal/milk, eggs, and oatmeal before heading to the test center at 8am.

I was already familiar with the test center from a previous visit, so I was relatively relaxed. Went into the room and wrote down my formulas before starting the test. I prayed, took a deep breathe and signed in to start.

I read the first and last sentence of every long question, then the answers, and back to the rest of the stem. For short 3-5 line questions I didn't bother and just read in order. I timed my breaks in the following order - 5-5-10-20-10-10. I used the 20 minutes break to eat my lunch, jog, and try to power nap.

The questions were most similar to UW, less NBME, and least Kaplan Qbank. They didn't ask any impossible questions (with the exception of a few experimental ones) like some of the UW ones, and some were ridiculously easy and short. There were approx 15-20 molecular bio questions that I thought were impossible, but generally the questions were fair: some very high yield path questions and images, pharm Q's were no where NEAR the difficulty of UW, micro Q's were in between, but most were either similar to the questions I've done before (including the ones I keep getting wrong) or something that you can figure out in the time alloted.

There were a few tricky questions that I thought took way too much time than other ones. I did end up getting trapped on one genetics question, forcing me to guess on the last 5 questions of that block. I felt that was the biggest mistake I made on the test, and I highly regret not skipping that question. Overall though, I used the best of my abilities to take that test and didn't think much other than just tackling every question one at a time.

I finished every block with a few minutes to spare, with exception of 1 block, but didn't use my spare time to check my answers.

Overall, the test wasn't the nightmare that I thought it would be and I didn't feel that I failed afterwards. To tell you the truth, I really had no idea how I did after the test, other than being just really really tired. But looking at my previous progress, statistics show that I should score somewhere around the 215-220 range. I was hoping for a 220.

Last thoughts:
If I were to study for this test again, I would have not taken the kaplan course. I would have read word for word of all the recommended books from Tau's method, and each day's end a block of the related questions. I would also have done more questions, starting with Kaplan then UW. I would have gotten rid of my bad habit of getting stuck on particular questions from doing questions in tutor mode. I would not have done NBME's so often, as it is demoralizing at times realizing that you're not improving. I would have also made the ultimate plan starting from day 1.

However, in the end, I am extremely happy with my score and don't think I could have done better given what I've had. I have to give my deepest appreciation for the support from everyone on this board, God, my family and friends for helping me to get this score.