Official 2009 USMLE Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VFib911

excess NADH
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two days premature, but I thought I would get it started anyway as I just took the exam this morning!!!!!

Overall impressions:
- Path, path, path - been said before and I'll say it again "know it Goljan style"
- Don't forget the biostats. I prob had 10-13 questions here.
- UW is gold... both for content and material presentation. Get comfortable with the interface and it will help you test day as it is very similar.
- FA was very helpful, but I used it for review rather than primary study source.

Today:
- In at 8:30, out at 2:30.Finished each block with 10-15 minutes left.
- Three breaks, one quick trip to the BR, one 10 minute Red bull/ powerbar refresher, and one 20 minute monster/ MetRx "lunch" and walk.
- I didn't find a large difference in content difficulty between the different module. The second-to-last was my most difficult and I was have ing a little difficulty concentrating, but I think my brain was pre-toast.

I'm feeling pretty relieved at the moment as it was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. In NO WAY was it easy, but certainly doable. I had planned on taking this in July after the COMLEX, but I convinced myself I was not ready for it. Retrospectively, I feel I still would have done well after my COMLEX prep, but the last 6 months has filled in a lot of gaps.

Pre-COMLEX:
- Goljan mp3's 1st and 2nd years commuting to-from school. I did a ton of commuting. Highly valuable.
- Kaplan Biochem DVD(felt it was my weakest) and Micro DVD(lots of content).
- MedEssentials and FA for system-based content review. Big Robbins for reference only.
- CMMRS, know the virus charts, staph and strep algorithms, systemic mycoses, immunocompromised opportunistics.
- Costanza text for physio. Tried to review BRS physio (also Costanza), but I am strong in physio and I felt I was wasting my time.
- Lippincott pharm. Cover-to-cover, but overkill. Easy read though if you know your pharm.
- Kaplan and FA for biostats.
- Flash cards from eBay, both electronic and paper. Great way to review - at least for me - but be aware there are occasional errors. Prob went through 5-7000, really.
- BRS flash cards - Micro, Pharm, Biochem.
- (Savarese for any DO's - know the green book and you are golden.)

COMLEX - 06/08.

Post- COMLEX

UWorld - Thank god I did this. Wish I had done this before the COMLEX. Did tutor mode, took notes, looked each unknown up. I ended up with about 40 pages of topics with key notes written next to each topic. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
HY Histo, Cell Bio, Immuno. By this time it was mostly review, but they all helped tie things together and are quick reads.

One week before test:

Goljan cover-to-cover. Goes quick when it is review.
HY Neuroanat - overkill for my exam. Still good topics if you have the time.
FA cover-to-cover.
Reviewed UW notes/ answers.

UW - 100% completed, overall 68%. Last 450 questions mid 70's. Tutor, random, unused.

That's it. I have been meaning to post this for a while after my COMLEX grade posting, but never got around to doing it... been too damn busy reading. I'll update when result is in.

BTW - anyone know if it takes longer to receive your grade this time of year since fewer people are taking the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dont worry guys. Im sure you will do great!

NBME 6 340 <--- taken 6 days before my exam......this freaked me out so I studied like there was no tomorrow

NBME 5 330 <--- taken 1 day AFTER my exam. I only took this because I already paid for NBME 5 together with NBME 6

I took both NBME's under 3 hours so Im guessing if I took more time to analyze the questions, I probably would have gotten higher NBME scores.....
I took my exam Jan 21,2009 and got my result yesterday.

UW average 53%

Step 1 result: 80 (195)

Well done jonlei, congrats on passing! Gosh, taking an NBME after the exam??? I was VERY tempted to throw my FA folder off a very tall structure...never mind even contemplating doing another test!

Good luck Saladin.

That said, let this be a lesson to others. It might be advisable to stop studying 1 day before exam day. Studying FA at 2:30 AM on exam day is not going to boost your score. Relax, relax, relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
Test day:

Up earlier than expected. Ran 3 miles. Had some cheerios. Went to Our Lady to say some prayers. Hit circle K for some coffee and arrived at the testing center with 10 minutes to spare.

The test: Not bad. I didn't know every question. I'd mark 4 or 5, and probably didn't know another 5 for certain for a total of 10 unknowns/section.
Did last minute studying help? Maybe. I'm pretty sure I got the question on p450 inhibitors correct because I saw it two nights ago...or it could have been a lucky guess.
Anyway, my biggest fear was getting bored/complacent just wanting it to be over. As such, I used every break given to go out to my locker, down 8 ounces of water, walk around outside, etc.. After the 3rd section I had some coffee and granola bar, but then ate a real meal when I got home.
I will say, sections 5, and 6 were the worst as far as complacency goes. Also, there seemed to be a lot of radiology, some good, some bad. But in general, nothing worse than the NBMEs, and certainly easier than Uworld.

All in all, 6 hours: in at 0830, out at 1430.

It's over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it march 4th yet?

Congrats rach!! It's finally behind you... Glad it sounds like it went well.

I had the same problem with sections 5 and (especially) 6, but it all worked out.

Good luck on your results!

Praise the Lord, the nightmare known as Step 1 is over. (Hopefully.)

The test was much easier than I expected...I thought it was much easier than the NBME I took (I only did one). But I also think that the last lightning read I did of FA (which I did *after* taking the NBME) made all the difference...I read most of FA in 2 days time...it REALLY helped.

Hey Rach, did you get an audio question!? I did! I was like WTH...I guess this is something new they are doing? I was caught off guard a bit.

Anyways, all in all I think it went well.

That said, let this be a lesson to others. It might be advisable to stop studying 1 day before exam day. Studying FA at 2:30 AM on exam day is not going to boost your score. Relax, relax, relax.
Yeah, you're right...I didn't study at 2:30 am...I just lay in bed for a couple hours, tossing and turning. Then at 4:45 am, I decided there was no use of just lying in bed...so I thought I'd open up FA, but I took one look at it and wanted to puke. I ended up doing zero studying the day of.

I'm just glad this nightmare is over. Now the wait begins.

the audio question was the last question!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to get through without it. I guess heard a crescendo/decrescendo murmur, but who knows!

What's worse is now that my coffee has kalua in it, I'm starting to remember questions and look them up...bad idea, I don't think I remember the questions or the answers well enough to know if I put 1,25-whatervitamineD or cholecalciferthingy.

But hey, we're one "step" closer to being real docs, not just pathetic wannabes in short whtie coats. Well, we're still pathetic wannabes in short white coats, but damnit tonight we're a little less so.

Also, only one other person from my class sat for the exam today, everyone else was just taking the practice...I cannot tell you how glad I am that I'm through with it and not still waiting to take it!

Of course, I never could have done this without the kindness of strangers here on SDN. Well maybe I could have. Maybe I would have studied harder, but probably not. Either way, thanks guys. Not only is everyone here a wealth of knowledge, it always makes me feel good to read all the "good lucks" and "congrats" posted here.

I also took my exam this week & honestly thought it was harder than UWorld. My UW average was 66% for first time, untimed questions. During the exam, I got a feeling that I was getting kicked in the sack by some of these questions.

In terms of the test, I had a heavy load of biostats which is quite similar to UWorld. Unfortunately I slacked in this subject during my review and didn't pay much attention to it. I should have though. Also, my test had lots of Neuro and anatomy as well. I felt my test had very little micro, biochem and pharm.

Anyways praying for the best.

Last edited:
Time to graduate to the next sub-forum on SDN! Pshhht, you kids in the Step 1 section have fun. Us grown ups are moving on to STEP 2 sub-forum, WOOT WOOT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, my test 2 weeks ago was not very straight forward and I felt it was more difficult (at times) than the UWorld questions. I was stressed for time when I had no problem on the UWorld, and I had to guess on a lot of questions, without narrowing the field much.

Oh well, it's over for better or worse :thumbdown:

I also took my exam this week & honestly thought it was harder than UWorld. My UW average was 66% for first time, untimed questions. During the exam, I got a feeling that I was getting kicked in the sack by some of these questions.

In terms of the test, I had a heavy load of biostats which is quite similar to UWorld. Unfortunately I slacked in this subject during my review and didn't pay much attention to it. I should have though. Also, my test had lots of Neuro and anatomy as well. I felt my test had very little micro, biochem and pharm.

Anyways praying for the beast.

congrats to everyone who has finished in the past few days/weeks! i just got my test date last week: June 4th! So really I'm just starting to put my schedule together, but this thread and last years have been tons of help. now I just have to actually follow through with what i've planned :oops:

congrats to everyone who has finished in the past few days/weeks! i just got my test date last week: June 4th! So really I'm just starting to put my schedule together, but this thread and last years have been tons of help. now I just have to actually follow through with what i've planned :oops:

Good luck!

Time to graduate to the next sub-forum on SDN! Pshhht, you kids in the Step 1 section have fun. Us grown ups are moving on to STEP 2 sub-forum, WOOT WOOT.

Aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself? Now you need to check out the clinical rotation thread before you jumping into Step 2.

For those of you saying that USMLE world is harder than the actual exam - do you mean in the sense that Uworld tests more minutia? Or that the phrasing of the questions on the actual exam is more straightforward?

Also, do you feel that the topics stressed by uworld (ie, those that seem to have repeat questions over and over) are essentially the same topics covered on the exam?

Thanks, and congrats to all that have finished!

The difference between USMLEworld and the real thing is the number of steps involved in a question. UWorld will test 3 or 4 step question, i.e. 39 yo female presents with bleeding gums, numerous petechae, and a white count of 50,000. She is immediately admitted and treatment is started. What is the intercellular signalling pathway used in her treatment?

NBME/the real thing: A 39 y.o. female with PML is started on high dose vit. A. What intercellular signalling pathway does vitamine A use?

Uworld is very good for getting you to understand how questions are asked, and how to think about various questions.

best of luck!

I felt that UWorld did test a lot of the same things over and over again. They would ask very similar questions using the same 5-6 answer choices, asking the question slightly different each time to use each answer choice.

I thought the NBME had a much wider selection of question topics, and tested more minutiae rather than concepts.:confused:

For those of you saying that USMLE world is harder than the actual exam - do you mean in the sense that Uworld tests more minutia? Or that the phrasing of the questions on the actual exam is more straightforward?

Also, do you feel that the topics stressed by uworld (ie, those that seem to have repeat questions over and over) are essentially the same topics covered on the exam?

Last edited:
so i'm looking to get a book for behavioral, and i've heard good things about both HY behavioral and HY brain and behavior. Anyone with any more input?

so i'm looking to get a book for behavioral, and i've heard good things about both HY behavioral and HY brain and behavior. Anyone with any more input?

haven't taken Step 1, but took the Behavioral shelf from NBME, & read through HY Behavioral once (to read not memorize)- took 7-8 hrs or so day before test, and got 96 on exam... could confidently answer just about all the questions, so would give it a :thumbup:

haven't taken Step 1, but took the Behavioral shelf from NBME, & read through HY Behavioral once (to read not memorize)- took 7-8 hrs or so day before test, and got 96 on exam... could confidently answer just about all the questions, so would give it a :thumbup:

Congratulations on your score! 96 is solid.

o yea probly just as important borrowed copy of friends BRS behav (same author just longer) and did just did the questions out of there, only got halfway through the questions in there morning of test... couple other friends did similar thing thing for shelf and got good scores too... but if questions on s1 are similar id say hy behav is good book, i've heard good things about kaplan too

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who isn't aiming for >230... because there are a lot of really high scores on SDN. I guess it is the same concept as score postings for the MCAT - only the rock stars really care to share. My optimistic goal is 230, but would be just fine with a 220 (the "average"). Am I the only one?

I'll only have ~3-4 weeks of solid Step 1 study time after comprehensive finals, and all these comments about months of studying make me really anxious. I'll be studying a bit since our pharm and path classes are comp in May, but other than prepping for those, I don't think I'm going to get much board studying done. Might buy the 3 month UW thing in mid-March. Anyone in the same boat?

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who isn't aiming for >230... because there are a lot of really high scores on SDN. I guess it is the same concept as score postings for the MCAT - only the rock stars really care to share. My optimistic goal is 230, but would be just fine with a 220 (the "average"). Am I the only one?

I'll only have ~3-4 weeks of solid Step 1 study time after comprehensive finals, and all these comments about months of studying make me really anxious. I'll be studying a bit since our pharm and path classes are comp in May, but other than prepping for those, I don't think I'm going to get much board studying done. Might buy the 3 month UW thing in mid-March. Anyone in the same boat?

I'm sorta in the same boat. Cum. finals in 2 weeks.. then only a month to prepare for boards. I bought UW and Rx for 3 months.. been doing a block of 48 on UW on Sundays, and 20 Rx/day. I've also been trying to squeeze in reviewing 1 chapter in FA a night. Doesn't take too much time, but it adds up in the end. I'd say start doing a reasonable amount of questions [they'll help you review for cum. finals anyway] and just study really hard for path and pharm finals. That's a large chunk of the test anyway. Good luck!

I'll take a fat P for pass.

Does anyone know which scores were reported last week? I've heard scores are released every Wednesday, so I was wondering which test dates received scores on Feb. 18?

I'm sorta in the same boat. Cum. finals in 2 weeks.. then only a month to prepare for boards. I bought UW and Rx for 3 months.. been doing a block of 48 on UW on Sundays, and 20 Rx/day. I've also been trying to squeeze in reviewing 1 chapter in FA a night. Doesn't take too much time, but it adds up in the end. I'd say start doing a reasonable amount of questions [they'll help you review for cum. finals anyway] and just study really hard for path and pharm finals. That's a large chunk of the test anyway. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. :) I think I probably ought to try reading a chapter of FA each night and the block of 48 each weekend after spring break (I take the exam June 11). I started reading FA at the beginning of the year, but sadly got stuck as soon as I started biochem... I think I will have to skip biochem until after our finals.

anyone get their scores today? took my test 2-3 weeks ago, very scared, i keep thinking about allll the q's i got wrong on my test and i def prepared myself for the battle of that test..:(

all im sayin is, i know everyone feels like they failed, but i seem to have convinced myself that i DEF failed...anyone else feel this way?!

supposively scores are released on wenesdays, 3 weeks from the week you took the exam. So if you took the exam the week of feb. 2th, then you should have received your scores today. However, this is only what I've been told. I took the exam the week of Feb 9th, so I'm expecting my scores march 4th.

In the end Docspock you should know in a week or so. Either way, it's certainly less time to wait for your USMLE score than to mate on planet Volcan!

Hi guys!!
Wow!!Congratulations pollux on the amazing score..!!!

Wanted to share my piece of experience of step1..
Gave my exam on 19th feb..waiting for my score..:xf:
the real xam is so much like UW and NBME forms..I strongly recommend ppl taking step 1 to do the forms as some of the q were directly from d form..also there was SAME histo slide from the NBME form..:nod:
started studin from july...did kaplan twice..

uwsa 1-214...27th jan..was completely freaked out..

did FA once,also revised UW and UW notes..

NBME 3 after a week- 160/199...:scared:..was having second thoughts of taking xam on 19th feb..
did FA 1 more time..
NBME 5- 162/200(4 days before xam)...somehow was not satisfied as i was aiming for the ultimate score..."99"
uwsa 2-232(3days before xam)...am hoping will get more than this in the real deal.....:xf::xf:

the D-day-19th feb...
block 1,2,3,4-was k..doable...was thinking it was goin k..:Dtook 5 min break after block 3
block 5-started to feel the heat..was feeling hypoglycemic n was in a desperate need for a break...the q were difficult...took a 20 min break..:bang::annoyed:
block 6-was difficult..aaaahhh...wanted to run away from this...:eek:
block 7-just wanted to get over wid the xam...the level of difficulty was lil less than block 5..
At the end of the day hope to get in high 90's...

To ppl who r giving the xam...i would like to stress on revising UW n NBME..it will definitely work..All the best to everyone..hopefully i will get back to the forum with great score in few days..:shrug:

thanks for the info Aorta-

would you recommend running through UW a second time (if you've got time, of course) and was the material covered on UW indicative of what you saw on real exam?

Thanks again

Hi flab..
I would strongly recommend doing UW and NBME few days before the xam along with FA..as this increased my score in uwsa 2..and also the q were on the same lines in the xam..:nod::nod:

Hi docspock..
am sure everybody feels the same after the xam..keep ur calm..am sure u will get great score..am expecting my result in 2 weeks..
guess we r in the same boat...i can remember 3 silly mistakes i made..
But there is nothing we can do other than hope n pray...
All the best!!!:luck::luck:

aorta how in the world did you have time to do kaplan twice? How do some of you guys/gals get so much time to study for this test? thanks for the tip about nbme

hi guys,
just wanna drop by and say hi. Here is my stat.

SAT I: 1580
SATII: Math: 800, Chem:800, Bio: 790
Harvard S.B in Biology- Summa Cum Laude
MCAT: 41.
Harvard Medical School: 4.0/2 years
USMLE: 274/99

I noticed there is a guy who scored 276/99, 2 points more than me. Great job friend. Anyway, If anyone wants to ask for advice, feel free to ask.
I feel so haveanly.:D

hi guys,

I noticed there is a guy who scored 276/99, 2 points more than me. Great job friend. Anyway, If anyone wants to ask for advice, feel free to ask.

Please add your study schedule, what sources you used, ect. Pollux's thread was inspiring and helped me shape my schedule. I'm shooting for a 250, so I am trying to follow people who do better than that. Please share your strategy and advice. And BTW POLLUX, HARVARDMD CONFREAKINGRADULATIONS:thumbup::thumbup::D, proves hard work pays,

hi guys,

I like how he got an "S.B" in biology, where can I get one of those!

Please add your study schedule, what sources you used, ect. Pollux's thread was inspiring and helped me shape my schedule. I'm shooting for a 250, so I am trying to follow people who do better than that. Please share your strategy and advice. And BTW POLLUX, HARVARDMD CONFREAKINGRADULATIONS:thumbup::thumbup::D, proves hard work pays,

Thanks for the comment. Basically, I used similar materials which the other guys used. Goljan was my bible and FA was my Koran book. hahha :D Great metaphor, isn't it? Anyway, I mainly concentrated on FA book and did a lot of UW Qs and I studied for the test so early (During my 1st through the end). To me, I have short term memory, so I constantly review my stuffs the day before, so may be it helped. I have a lot of notes which I took during my study time, so if you guys want, PM me so I can give it to u.
Cheers. :D

Wow dude, how did you pull a 4.0 at HMS?

hi guys,

Whoa - just joined today to get some additional feedback... saw this thread and scores....

270+? :eek: common nowadays eh? impressive - Thanks for the advice, and congrats to all here that passed no matter what the score! :thumbup:

Keep it up!

Last edited:
hi guys,

OK first of all this is an experience thread. Posting your stats isn't a post of your experience.

Your first post has nothing more than your stats. SATI and SATIIs...LOL! If you remembered your scores why not post if it was math IC or IIC while your're at it. HMS is PASS/FAIL first year...lol 4.0...stop wasting people's time. Go back to grammar school buddy.

I'm calling troll. 3 posts, only on this thread?

I wonder what motivation people have to create accounts and post fake scores? I mean, would you feel good about yourself for praise you are getting based on a lie!?

HMS is PASS/FAIL first year...lol 4.0..
Good catch.

OK first of all this is an experience thread. Posting your stats isn't a post of your experience.

I wanted to know if he won the spelling bee in fourth grade. I got third place. :(