Official 2012-2013 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludacris

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I will be applying for the 2013 match. I'm hoping to match into Internal Medicine.

Some info:
- Step 1: 230-235(1st attempt)
- Step 2 CS: Pass (1st attempt)
- Step 2 CK: 235-240 (1st attempt)

- Canadian citizen (born and raised) so I will need US visa sponsorship
- School: St. George's University
- No real research (I did help out a little bit compiling data but I don't believe the research got published), some volunteering

- All my 3rd year core rotations and 4th year elective rotations are in the US and Greenbook. I got an A in the IM rotation if that matters.

- LORs: I can get 2-3 strong letters from IM, 1 strong from Surgery, and possibly a strong one from Pediatrics (I thought I did very well in Peds but ended up getting a B instead of an A)

I'm getting really nervous about the match now that we can purchase our token and begin working on our applications.

I was wondering where I should apply... Is there a list available to which programs offer visa sponsorship? I tried searching of FREIDA with no luck. How many programs is "safe"? I was thinking of applying to Pediatrics and/or Family Medicine as a back up... is it good to do this?

Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar stats to you and did not receive any love from OHSU or Colorado. Those programs along with Univ. of Washington are all highly ranked and seem to have really stepped up their step 1 requirements. The rest of your list looks pretty good. You should get all the mid tier interviews you want along with a few upper mid tier interviews.

Hi all,

Would appreciate any advice. I am the only person I know from my med school's recent history to apply to the US so am in dire need of your advice!

IMG. University of London. Graduating this July (2012). Need a (wait for it) visa, H1B. Interested in PCCM.

Step 1: 234
Step 2: 257
Step 2 CS: Pass

USCE: 2 months. 2x Sub-internships in IM arranged through universities. Both largeish university affiliated community programs, one in LA and one in NY.

LoRs: Three from US attendings (waived, but all said I was outstanding). One from a UK consultant. One from the Chair of Medicine at my medical school.

Class rank: 12th percentile. Have four Merits awarded out of five years (I guess the equivalent of Honors for a year, awarded to the top quartile of the year) and two Distinctions awarded on my degree. Won an internal prize for academic excellence.

No research, no publications.

I've done a preliminary sort of places that I would be interested in applying to, as I said initially I'm pretty clueless as to what I should be aiming for so please criticize/comment as necessary.

AL: UAB
CT Norwalk/Yale, Yale/Waterbury, Yale/New Haven,
FL: UMiami/Palm Beach Regional, UF-Jacksonville, Mayo-Jacksonville, Jackson Memorial, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Cleveland Clinic-Florida
GA: Emory
IA: University of Iowa
IL: Cook County, St Joseph, Northwestern, Rush
KY: UKentucky
MI: St John Hospital, Wayne State, Tufts, Western Michigan SOM, UMich, Michigan State
MA: Baystate, BU, Brigham, UMass, Cambridge Hospital, Mount Auburn, Tufts
MD: Johns Hopkins Bayview
MN: Mayo, UMinn, Abbot-Northwestern
MO: St Louis University
NC: Duke
NY: SLR, Mount Sinai, Mount Sinai Elmhurst, NSLIJ, AE Monte, BI, NYU
OH: Case Western (both), Cleveland Clinic, Mercy St Vincent, UCincinnati,
PA: Albert Einstein, HUP, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, UPMC
TN: Vanderbilt
TX: Baylor College, UTMB, UT San Antonio, UTSW(Dallas and Austin)
WI: Medical College of Wisconsin

I left some out, just wanted to put down to give you a rough idea of what I was thinking. If you want the full lot, let me know and I'll edit. I know a few of these are probably massive reaches (Brigham) but hey: applications are relatively cheap and it avoids that nagging feeling of 'what if'!

Last edited:
I'll try to summarize as best as possible.
[...]

Too long - rewrote, removed unimportant information and added list of programs. See below

Last edited:
1317674981439.jpg

(back later)

(I love this ****)

(don't tell anyone)

Top 25 School
Step 1: 232
Step 2: TBD (Planning on taking in September?)
Preclinical: Mix of mainly AB and B
Clinical: Same, mix of AB and B
Middle 10-15% of class, not AOA
Research prior to med school, and again the summer between 1st and 2nd year- no pubs, one poster at a school sponsored event

Planning to Apply to:
Hennepin
U-MN
Abbott Northwestern
Mayo
U-WI
MCW
U-Chicago
Northwestern
Rush
Loyola
UIC

Hoping to stay in MN or WI, what other schools would I add to round out my list more. Thinking of other midwest university or strong community programs, not certain about fellowship yet.

Hey,

Asking for my significant other here, but she scored a 219 on Step 1. Otherwise your usual applicant, although weak on research experience. Would like to do IM in Chicago. Preferrably university program, but would possibly be up for community program. Still good chances?

Im not very familiar with the recent trends in IM and how competitive the scene in Chicago is. Any input greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Asking for my significant other here, but she scored a 219 on Step 1. Otherwise your usual applicant, although weak on research experience. Would like to do IM in Chicago. Preferrably university program, but would possibly be up for community program. Still good chances?

Im not very familiar with the recent trends in IM and how competitive the scene in Chicago is. Any input greatly appreciated.

Chicago (-land) has at least 3 (maybe 4) tiers of programs. A 219 with an otherwise unremarkable CV puts NW and UC out of the running (although there's no reason not to apply).

But UIC, Rush, Loyola, Whatever the Place In Evanston is Called this Year and the rest of the community programs are all well within "her" reach. Drive an hour or 3 and you open up another 20-30 programs.

Hey,

Chicago is definitely becoming more competitive, but a 219 keeps in you range especially for UIC, Rush, Loyola, UC-Northshore, and Lutheran General. I had an overall solid application but didn't get invites to UChicago or NU, the guys in my school who did were AOA vs my top quartile. That may have been the only difference.

After my interviews, I liked :Northshore>Rush>UIC>LGH>Loyola (not rankings, just places I liked). I ended up ranking Rush and UIC 1 and 2 since they were university programs with a strong fellowship placement. Northshores fellowship placement was decent, but not great. With the amount of strong applicants going into IM, feel like fellowships will be much more competitive in the coming years. I am really happy with my choice and am enjoying intern year here in Chicago. Good luck!

Top 25 School
Step 1: 232
Step 2: TBD (Planning on taking in September?)
Preclinical: Mix of mainly AB and B
Clinical: Same, mix of AB and B
Middle 10-15% of class, not AOA
Research prior to med school, and again the summer between 1st and 2nd year- no pubs, one poster at a school sponsored event

Planning to Apply to:
Hennepin
U-MN
Abbott Northwestern
Mayo
U-WI
MCW
U-Chicago
Northwestern
Rush
Loyola
UIC

Hoping to stay in MN or WI, what other schools would I add to round out my list more. Thinking of other midwest university or strong community programs, not certain about fellowship yet.

I'm pretty confident you will land somewhere on that list. I'm not sure if I would add anything to that. Overall the list is small, but you are competitive. If it were me, I would add about ten more, definitely Iowa with your geography.

Top 50 US Med School
Step 1: 243
Step 2 x2: taking end of November
M1: All Honors
M2: Mix of Honors and HP
M3: Honors: Surgery, Family Med; High Pass: Ob/Gyn, Psych, Anesthesiology, Peds; Pass: Neuro; waiting for IM score
Research at my med school freshman summer with 1 regional poster presentation; 1 month away research position at top 20 med school this past year as an M3

Programs I am planning on applying to:
NU
UofChicago
Wash U
Stanford
UCLA
UCSF (really on the fence about this one)
UofColorado
Duke
UNC
Emory
Vandy
Wake Forest
UVA
Baylor
UT-SW

I only have 2 months off to interview: November and December and have a feeling my IM score may make or break me at some schools

Are the programs I am applying to about right, am I missing ones or should I take a few off?

You're list is all strong, I personally would add some more. All those places can get pretty picky on who they want. I would add a few more to be safe.

You're list is all strong, I personally would add some more. All those places can get pretty picky on who they want. I would add a few more to be safe.

Nice to see you come back. In general, people come here for their application season, abuse jdh, instate and myself over our opinions of the strength of their application and then disappear.

Nice to see you come back. In general, people come here for their application season, abuse jdh, instate and myself over our opinions of the strength of their application and then disappear.

You guys able to give an opinion on mine? No abuse will be given!

Chicago (-land) has at least 3 (maybe 4) tiers of programs. A 219 with an otherwise unremarkable CV puts NW and UC out of the running (although there's no reason not to apply).

But UIC, Rush, Loyola, Whatever the Place In Evanston is Called this Year and the rest of the community programs are all well within "her" reach. Drive an hour or 3 and you open up another 20-30 programs.

Good to hear, thanks for the reply. haha, I like the quoted "her". I am going into neurology, although I do enjoy internal medicine, but this question definitely applies to her and not myself.

Chicago is definitely becoming more competitive, but a 219 keeps in you range especially for UIC, Rush, Loyola, UC-Northshore, and Lutheran General. I had an overall solid application but didn't get invites to UChicago or NU, the guys in my school who did were AOA vs my top quartile. That may have been the only difference.

After my interviews, I liked :Northshore>Rush>UIC>LGH>Loyola (not rankings, just places I liked). I ended up ranking Rush and UIC 1 and 2 since they were university programs with a strong fellowship placement. Northshores fellowship placement was decent, but not great. With the amount of strong applicants going into IM, feel like fellowships will be much more competitive in the coming years. I am really happy with my choice and am enjoying intern year here in Chicago. Good luck!

Thank you for the input!! Do you mind if I ask which program you ended up at? Was it Rush, UIC, or Northshore? I ask partly because I am planning on applying to Rush and UIC for neurology and was wondering if you have had any run-ins with the neuro team there.

Top 50 US allopathic
Step 1: 254
Step 2 CK: Taking end of July
M1/M2: P/F at my school. Passed everything.
M3/M4: All honors so far
Basic science research at MGH during summer between first and second year resulting in a paper and regional presentation.
Unremarkable extra-curriculars

Programs I am planning on applying to (would like to stay in Boston):

MGH
BWH
BID
Tufts
BMC

I've been told the Harvard programs are a crapshoot. In light of this, are there any other programs in the Boston area I should consider applying to or does this list look okay?

Thanks!

This is back already?

Nice. Look for plenty of vague random opinionated Def insight in the coming months, whenever I feel like it.

Thanks! I needed an SDN break after match. I planned on returning July 1, but then nurses and patients actually started taking me seriously. Now that thats over, I look forward to 260 AOA people worried about matching in their top 12.

I'm adding:
Case Western
U Pitt
USC
UCSD
VCU
U Kentucky

Should I add more?

That looks good. If you are adding ohio, might as well add OSU. Phenomenal place IMO. If applying to VCU, throw in Maryland, JHU, Bayview. I would just apply to 30 since the cost is about the same right? Overall pretty solid, just nice to have a few places that may make you feel "safe."

BTW-why no NE programs?? Also, if applying west coast, add OHSU and UW.

Top 50 US allopathic
Step 1: 254
Step 2 CK: Taking end of July
M1/M2: P/F at my school. Passed everything.
M3/M4: All honors so far
Basic science research at MGH during summer between first and second year resulting in a paper and regional presentation.
Unremarkable extra-curriculars

Programs I am planning on applying to (would like to stay in Boston):

MGH
BWH
BID
Tufts
BMC

I've been told the Harvard programs are a crapshoot. In light of this, are there any other programs in the Boston area I should consider applying to or does this list look okay?

Thanks!

I'm assuming no AOA at your school? You app looks good, I would bet you get BID for sure, but MGH and BWH might be tough depending on the applicant pool. Maybe a clinical away at one of those places. Like many have mentioned before, not a sub-I but a consult service--much easier to shine.

Thank you for the input!! Do you mind if I ask which program you ended up at? Was it Rush, UIC, or Northshore? I ask partly because I am planning on applying to Rush and UIC for neurology and was wondering if you have had any run-ins with the neuro team there.

I ended up at Rush. I am not going to beat around the bush, Rush is a pretty chill place. It's by no means an academic powerhouse like a NU or UC, but it gets the job done. Neuro seems fairly strong here. I've worked with a few neuro prelim during an away and right now, and they all seem pretty excited about the program.

Hi all,

Would appreciate any advice. I am the only person I know from my med school's recent history to apply to the US so am in dire need of your advice!

IMG. University of London. Graduating this July (2012). Need a (wait for it) visa, H1B. Interested in PCCM.

Step 1: 234
Step 2: 257
Step 2 CS: Pass

USCE: 2 months. 2x Sub-internships in IM arranged through universities. Both largeish university affiliated community programs, one in LA and one in NY.

LoRs: Three from US attendings (waived, but all said I was outstanding). One from a UK consultant. One from the Chair of Medicine at my medical school.

Class rank: 12th percentile. Have four Merits awarded out of five years (I guess the equivalent of Honors for a year, awarded to the top quartile of the year) and two Distinctions awarded on my degree. Won an internal prize for academic excellence.

No research, no publications.

I've done a preliminary sort of places that I would be interested in applying to, as I said initially I'm pretty clueless as to what I should be aiming for so please criticize/comment as necessary.

AL: UAB
CT Norwalk/Yale, Yale/Waterbury, Yale/New Haven,
FL: UMiami/Palm Beach Regional, UF-Jacksonville, Mayo-Jacksonville, Jackson Memorial, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Cleveland Clinic-Florida
GA: Emory
IA: University of Iowa
IL: Cook County, St Joseph, Northwestern, Rush
KY: UKentucky
MI: St John Hospital, Wayne State, Tufts, Western Michigan SOM, UMich, Michigan State
MA: Baystate, BU, Brigham, UMass, Cambridge Hospital, Mount Auburn, Tufts
MD: Johns Hopkins Bayview
MN: Mayo, UMinn, Abbot-Northwestern
MO: St Louis University
NC: Duke
NY: SLR, Mount Sinai, Mount Sinai Elmhurst, NSLIJ, AE Monte, BI, NYU
OH: Case Western (both), Cleveland Clinic, Mercy St Vincent, UCincinnati,
PA: Albert Einstein, HUP, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, UPMC
TN: Vanderbilt
TX: Baylor College, UTMB, UT San Antonio, UTSW(Dallas and Austin)
WI: Medical College of Wisconsin

I left some out, just wanted to put down to give you a rough idea of what I was thinking. If you want the full lot, let me know and I'll edit. I know a few of these are probably massive reaches (Brigham) but hey: applications are relatively cheap and it avoids that nagging feeling of 'what if'!

I met a few people on the trail from London, and they were all at good places, i.e UVA and Emory. So I think your list looks pretty good. I would just add UIC-Chicago.

I'm assuming no AOA at your school? You app looks good, I would bet you get BID for sure, but MGH and BWH might be tough depending on the applicant pool. Maybe a clinical away at one of those places. Like many have mentioned before, not a sub-I but a consult service--much easier to shine.

Thanks for the advice! We do have AOA (seniors only) but this will be announced right before applications go out in September.

Note: Posting for a user who wishes to remain anonymous:

Anonymous said:
I was hoping you might be able to give me a realistic view of where I should be aiming Residency-wise. My information is as follows:

UK Final Year medical student. Non-US citizen - visa needed.
Class Rank: Top 10%. First Class Honours, including Honours in all subjects. In fact, Honours in all subjects for the past 3 years.
USMLE Step 1: 236/99
Step 2 CS: Result pending.
Step 2 CK: Haven't taken it yet.
Research Experience: I took a year out of medical school to carry out lab research (submitted for pub). First Class Honours Physiology degree. Currently carrying out a separate research project, which we hope to submit to ASCO next year.
USCE: 5 weeks at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. 3 LORs from this experience.
Other: A good bit of volunteering/ Physiology tutoring/ peer mentoring in my medical school. Was Chairman of a large medical society which went on to win multiple awards. Played multiple sports at Intervarsities.

I'm hoping to apply for Mayo (MN), Baylor, University of Colorado, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke, Chapel Hill, Hopkins, University of Minnesota, University of Arizona, University of Michigan. Do you have any idea what kind of chance I would stand? Are there any more Universities you would add to this list?

Last edited:
I met a few people on the trail from London, and they were all at good places, i.e UVA and Emory. So I think your list looks pretty good. I would just add UIC-Chicago.

Thanks for your advice!

Great points, thanks for all your help so far! I'm not a huge fan of the NE region in general, definitely NOT NYC. If you had to pick some programs in the NE that you would recommend I apply/look into what would they be? (Not counting the Harvard contingent)

Hmm places to consider: JHU, Bayview, Maryland, Penn, Yale. I ended up shying away from the NE after the interviews came out, so I can't give a great answer. But the places above are pretty stellar (might not be NE per se :roll eyes:)

Hi all. Here's my stats.

Top 50 US med school (I think)
Step 1: 250s
Step 2 CK/CS pending (taking them in Oct/Nov)
AOA: no
Preclinical grades: H or HP
Clinical grades: Honors in Medicine and General Surgery. High passed everything else. Overall ranked in top 25-30% of class.
Pubs: 1 peer reviewed journal, 3 posters
Extracurriculars: academic committee member, otherwise standard
LORs: chair's letter, two elective, one from sub-I hopefully in September

Want to stay in the Baltimore/DC area. Applying to around 18 progs. Top picks (not necessarily in that order):

Univ of MD
Hopkins
Bayview
Georgetown
GWU
Wash Hosp Center

Thoughts? Prob only gonna rank around 9 to 10 programs unless I need to rank more (hopefully will get interviews in most of these places). Thanks a bunch everyone.

Hi all. Here's my stats.

Top 50 US med school (I think)
Step 1: 250s

Want to stay in the Baltimore/DC area. Applying to around 18 progs. Top picks

Univ of MD
Hopkins
Bayview
Georgetown
GWU
Wash Hosp Center

Thoughts? Prob only gonna rank around 9 to 10 programs unless I need to rank more (hopefully will get interviews in most of these places). Thanks a bunch everyone.

You'll probably get an interview at Hopkins, matching there will be more difficult but definitely not impossible for you. You're a shoe-in at all of the other programs you listed.

School: UTSW (Top 20)
Step 1: 236/99
Step 2 CK/CS pending
Preclinical grades: H, 1HP
Clinical grades: HP in everything, H in psych
Overall ranked in top 25-33% of class.
Pubs: 1 peer reviewed journal, 1 poster
Extracurriculars: Tutor
LORs: 2 department head letters, research mentor letter, department letter.

Very Competitive:
UMich
Wash U
Duke
Hopkins
UW
Vanderbilt

Competitive:
UTSW
UNC

Thoughts?

School: UTSW (Top 20)
Step 1: 236/99
Step 2 CK/CS pending
Preclinical grades: H, 1HP
Clinical grades: HP in everything, H in psych
Overall ranked in top 25-33% of class.
Pubs: 1 peer reviewed journal, 1 poster
Extracurriculars: Tutor
LORs: 2 department head letters, research mentor letter, department letter.

Very Competitive:
UMich
Wash U
Duke
Hopkins
UW
Vanderbilt

Competitive:
UTSW
UNC

Thoughts?

Sounds about right.

Sounds about right.
Care to elaborate? I certainly feel like my application is too mundane for the list I was recommended. Are those programs out of my reach, or do you think I will match into one of those appropriately?

Care to elaborate? I certainly feel like my application is too mundane for the list I was recommended. Are those programs out of my reach, or do you think I will match into one of those appropriately?

You feel like your app is too mundane probably because you've been lerking SDN (or posting regularly under a different handle) too long - everyone on here has a 270, honors in not only IM but everything else, AOA, published in NEJM, saved african orphans from a burning building, runs a 2:30 marathon, hold a 5th degree black belt in an obscure japanese martial art, and has had Kate Upton and Kim Kardashian in a threesome . . .

You're coming from a great school with great grades and great scores. In the world of the upper end of IM, that pretty much gets you an interview at MOST places - some will pass - but you will likely get an interview offer at most of the top programs. You will end up some place you like and probably will get your first choice. That's my assessment.

You can let us all know if I was right or wrong come march.

I think you've got a realistic attitude and a realistic list.

Assuming everything all immigration issues smooth out, I think you'll find a match.

Thank you very much :)

Are there any programs you would suggest adding or removing to the list as it stands?

I think you've got a realistic attitude and a realistic list.

Assuming everything all immigration issues smooth out, I think you'll find a match.

jdh, would you happen to have any input on my list/plan? Much thanks

I'll try to summarize as best as possible.
Sorry, I didn't do a very good job of that - too long yet lacking. I'll try again, and I apologize for posting again but this won't really be a repost. I have re-written it and added a list of programs

Background: IMG from the Dominican Republic, <1 year post-graduation and 24 years old at time of application. Don't know if my young age (for an applicant) will have any impact on interviews. 253/low 270s/Pass/ECFMG certified. Step 3 will be taken early in interview season. Applying for J1.

Cell biology TA, a position offered only a select few. Minor research in 3rd year, no pubs. Straight after graduation selected as adjunct faculty. Teach a bunch of courses and am well respected at the school. Also ACLS+BLS instructor. I am hoping my "academic" background could appeal to some of the smaller academic programs.

US "experience" and LORs: 4mo observership at very large community hospital. Got a LOR composed by the medical director of the program and includes comments from >10 attendings. I was shown all of the evaluations and they were pretty damn good. During this time I also did a classroom-based cardio elective from which I received a LOR (academic cardiologist). The LOR states I ranked at #4 best performance. More recently, 1 mo observership in ID at a large university program in FL where I got another good letter. Observerships are crap, I know, but it's all I got.

The remaining letter I plan on using is from my dean, who is now also my current employer and whom I work closely with.

Long-term: want to go into ID or possibly stay as a generalist but most importantly want to go into academics. I'm aiming high (for an IMG with little US experience)

So this is my list. Bold means I don't meet the requirements stated on the program's website. I might remove some of these, especially the tougher ones since I don't know whether programs are flexible with their IMG requirements (though a few of these programs have quite a few IMGs despite their "requirements"). I gave preference to programs that seemed to have at least 2-3 IMGs (especially Spanish speakers) in recent classes.

Other non-bolded programs might be more competitive but I meet their so-called minimum requirements, or they don't have any requirements on their websites... also, some of the community hospitals on this list are programs I've added as backups because of grads from my school matching there or numerous IMGs in their roster.

AL-UAB
AZ-Mayo AZ, Univ of Arizona
CT-Bridgeport Hospital (Yale-affil), Danbury Hospital, UConn
DC-Georgetown, George Washington U, Washington Hospital Center (Georgetown-affil)
FL-CCF, Mayo-Jax, JMH, UF-Gainesville, USF, Sinai Miami Beach, UM-Palm Beach Regional
GA- GHSU, Mercer-Savannah, Morehouse
IL-Advocate Lutheran, Advocate Christ, Cook County, NorthShore, U of Chicago, UIC/Advocate Christ, UIC,
IN-Indiana Univ Indianapolis, Indiana Univ Muncie
KS-Univ of Kansas Wichita, Univ of Kansas Kansas City
KY-U of Kentucky, U of Louisville
LA- LSU Baton Rouge, LSU Lafayette, LSU New Orleans, Ochsner
MA- Baystate/Tufts, Lahey, St Vincent, UMass,
MD-Franklin Square, Good Samaritan, JHU-Bayview, JHU-Sinai, UMD
MI- Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State, Henry Ford, St Joseph Mercy, U of Michigan
MN-Mayo Rochester
MO-SLU, St Mary's, Univ of Missouri at Kansas City, Univ of Missouri-Columbia
MS- Univ of Mississippi
NC-Carolinas Medical Center, Moses H Cone Memorial, Vidant/East Carolina University
NJ-Cooper University Hosp, Jersey Shore University Hosp, Mt Sinai St Joseph at Paterson, St Barnabas, Atlantic Health Morristown,
NM-UNM
NY-AECOM-Jacobi, AECOM-Montefiore, AECOM-BI, Lenox Hill, Maimonides, Sinai, Sinai-Elmhurst, Sinai-Queens, NSLIJ Hyde Park, NSLIJ Forest Hills, NYMC-Montefiore, SUNY-Brooklyn, SUNY-Upstate, SLR, Staten Island Univ Hospital, Univ at Buffalo, Univ of Rochester
OH- Case Western, Case Western at Univ Hospitals, Cleveland Clinic, OSU, Toledo
PA- Albert Einstein, Allegheny, Drexel, Geisinger, Lehigh Valley, Mercy Catholic, Penn State, Pennsylvania Hospital/UPenn, Reading Hospital, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, UPMC-Mercy, UPMC-Shadyside, UPMC-Montefiore
SC- Palmetto Health/USC
TX-Baylor Univ, Texas A&M, Texas Health Presbyterian, Texas Tech Amarillo, Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas Tech El Paso, UTHSC San Antonio, UT-Galveston, UTSW-Austin, UT-Houston,
VA- Carilion/Virginia Tech Carilion
WV-WVU

These are some I would apply to just for kicks, but probably will be realistic and save some money unless advised otherwise: Emory, Loyola, Rush, Wash U, Duke, UMDNJ, UMDNJ-RWJ, Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Baylor, UTSW (main, Dallas). Others in the big list could be just as competitive or even more so than these, but I'm not too familiar with just how competitive some of these programs are.

If I could just make it past the "USCE" filter and a few programs actually went through my letters (despite my experiences just being observership and not actual student experience), I think I would have a decent chance at some places.

Please be brutally honest - I know I can get in a community program somewhere, but I feel a little lost as to what academic places I could aim for. Any recommendations not already on my list? (SDN is probably not the best place for an IMG to ask for advice, but a lot of people here are familiar with the academic shops)

That list above is pretty money and you'll be fine at 90+% of them.

These are some I would apply to just for kicks, but probably will be realistic and save some money unless advised otherwise: Emory, Loyola, Rush, Wash U, Duke, UMDNJ, UMDNJ-RWJ, Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Baylor, UTSW (main, Dallas). Others in the big list could be just as competitive or even more so than these, but I'm not too familiar with just how competitive some of these programs are.

Loyola, Rush, UMDNJ-NJMS and maybe RWJ, Emory and NYU are worth an app. Don't waste your money on the rest of them...it ain't happening. With only a couple of exceptions, the programs in this list are far more competitive than the ones in your big list.

Hello!

Applying in the midwest with some reaches out east!

Step 1: 255
Step 2: Pending (NBME 3 weeks out projected 265 but that means literally nothing)
Top 25% in class - NOT AOA

3rd Year Grades:
Honors: Medicine, Family Medicine, Neuro, Surgery
High Pass: Peds, Psych, OBGYN

Research: Between 1st/2nd year did research which resulted in a pub - NOT on paper
- Hypertension research in the works
- Neurosurgery paper (ha yeah I considered this as a residency) en route to publication - Not sure if I should even list it though.

Letters:
2 from Internal Medicine rotation
1 Sub-I (hopefully chair of IM at hospital)
Chairman's Letter from my home institution hospital

As I swing around the Midwest and East Coast:
Yale New Haven
BID
B&W
MGH
BU
Johns Hopkins
Duke
UVA
Emory
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
Case Western
Pitt
PennU
UMich
Indiana - Bloomington
Northwestern
University of Chicago
University of Illinois Chicago
Rush University
Mayo Clinic
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
3 Local programs close to my medical school

WAMC?

Oh and please forgive my geographic navigational skills - Looking at that route I suggested taking is :laugh:

What type of med school do you attend? This is probably the difference maker for your top tier reaches. I think you will get interviews to most places on the list, but the best of the bunch (i.e. BW, MGH, JH) will probably pass unless you attend a top-tier med school. Places like Northwestern (good program in desirable location) can be surprisingly picky as well.

What type of med school do you attend? This is probably the difference maker for your top tier reaches. I think you will get interviews to most places on the list, but the best of the bunch (i.e. BW, MGH, JH) will probably pass unless you attend a top-tier med school. Places like Northwestern (good program in desirable location) can be surprisingly picky as well.

Middle tier allopathic school in the Midwest. Fortunately we have sent good residents to Northwestern for internal medicine but that's not too surprising that Harvard and Hopkins are out based on my non top-tiered medical school. Appreciate the insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.