Official 2014 Post-Deadline Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured it might be easier to tally things in another thread like we did last year.

I know some folk are more comfortable posting things anonymously, so you can always PM me or a moderator and they can post they list.

Finally done with the list. I was truly fortunate to interview at some amazing programs, from which most all I would enjoy launching my career. It was also great meeting a ton of awesome applicants, further solidifying my choice to switch into anesthesia. Location and gut feeling were the two largest factors in deciding it all.

1. UCSF
2. Stanford
3. MGH
4. Cornell
5. BWH
6. Columbia
7. NYU
8. Mount Sinai
9. Hopkins
10. UPMC

And now for the perfect way to escape the anxiety: three weeks in Thailand, including a week-long diving expedition off the beautiful Similan Islands. I will return to civilization just in time for match week. Best of luck to everyone!
Just finalized my list as well!

1. MGH
2. Brigham
3. Penn
4. Columbia
5. BID
6. Cornell
7. NYU
8. Hopkins
9. Yale
10. Northwestern
11. Michigan
12. Duke

Wish I could go to take a three week vacation! Still two more months of rotations. Ugh.
Finalized :) Good luck everyone!

1. UCSF
2. MGH
3. NYU
4. Columbia
5. BIDMC
6. Penn
7. UW
8. Mt Sinai
9. Northwestern
10. Cornell
11. Emory
12. Yale
9pm! List is in:

1. Combined Anesth/IM Stanford
2. Combined Anesth/CC UCSF
3. Stanford
4. UCSF
5. MGH
6. BW
7. Combined Anesth/IM UCSD
8. UCLA
9. UCSD
Got a nice hodgepodge of a list going on:

1: Miami
2: Mayo MN
3: Mayo FL
4: UT Houston
5: Arizona
6: Arkansas
7: Boston Uni
8: New Mexico
9: SUNY Downstate
10: Case MetroHealth
1. Cedars-Sinai
2. Virginia Mason
3. UCLA
4. Stanford
5. UW
6. Utah
7. UCSF
8. Beth Israel Deaconess
9. UCSD
10. UC Irvine
11. Northwestern
12. U Chicago
1. Stanford Adv
2. Penn Adv
3. MGH Adv
4. Penn Cat
5. MGH Cat
6. Stanford Cat
7. Virginia Mason Adv
8. Virginia Mason Cat
9. Colorado Adv
10. Cornell
11. Colorado Cat
12. UCSF Adv
13. UCSD
14. JHU
15. UChicago Adv
16. UCSF Cat
17. UCI
18. Columbia
19. Cedars-Sinai
20. USC

DNR - OHSU, UCLA, UChicago Cat
Me: DO in the 230s/250s with virginia ties

1. GW
2. Rush
3. VCU
4. UAB
5. UT-houston
6. CCF
7. Indiana
8. Case Western - UH
9. Rutgers - RWJ
10. Allegheny/West Penn
11. St. Barnabas
12. Maine
13. UF-Jax

Thoughts about a few:

Rush - this program gets lots of **** on this forum but their fellowship match list was incredible. Huge names and about 90% of their class got a fellowship. Easily the best list I saw on the trail. They work hard, but I got the feeling that it would pay off in the end. My priorities were #1 fellowship placement, and #2 fun city. Rush nailed both of those.

UT-houston - a program that seems to be really moving in the right direction. Residents LOVED the new PD, and hes apparently made tons of positive changes to the program. The CA1s loved the direction things were going. Really strong program.

CCF - another program that gets lots of **** on here. I actually loved it, and their residents were easily the happiest out of all the programs I went to. I probably talked to 20-30 between dinner and lunch and EVERY SINGLE ONE was obsessed with the program. I think that since the overhaul of the program in the last few years (including the cut down to 20 residents) the program is becoming a phenomenal place to train. And you certainly can't argue about the name you get to put on your diploma. But, in the end, yes, cleveland does suck (awesome food scene though!).

GW - Since there isn't a ton of info on here about GW. Awesome PD, young guy that really seems to be on top of things. Most go into PP but their fellowship matches were very strong should you go down that path. Residents did seem to work hard, but enjoyed the program and enjoyed working in DC.

In the end, I liked everywhere I went other than UF-jax (that place is a mess). There really aren't that many duds in the anesthesia world, and I think you'd get a great training at just about any program you match to.
DO 240s/250s with family in Philly and Boston
1) UPenn adv. then cat.
2) Hopkins adv. then cat
3) Duke adv. then cat
4) UPMC adv. then cat
5) Tufts
6) Jefferson
7) CCF
8 Main med
9) wake Forrest
10) Boston University
11) Baystate
12) UMASS
13) UCONN
1. Cedars-Sinai
2. UCSD
3. NYU
4. Cornell
5. U of Chicago
6. Emory
7. Duke
8. Beth Israel
9. Mayo
10. Wash U
11. UIC
12. UNC

DNR: Temple

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As far as the tally goes, it sits at:
UCSF x2
Cedars Sinai x2
MGH x1
Stanford IM/Anes x1
Miami x1
Stanford x1
George Washington x1
UPenn x1
Loyola x1

Last edited:
1. Hopkins
2. Ucsd
3. Miami
4. Georgetown
5. Musc
6. U of Chicago
7. GW
8. Usc
9. Slr
10. Vcu
11. Uic
12. Jefferson
13. Rush

Members don't see this ad :)
Me: DO, middle of class, 237/257 with virginia ties

1. GW
2. Rush
3. VCU
4. UAB
5. UT-houston
6. CCF
7. Indiana
8. Case Western - UH
9. Rutgers - RWJ
10. Allegheny/West Penn
11. St. Barnabas
12. Maine
13. UF-Jax

Thoughts about a few:

Rush - this program gets lots of **** on this forum but their fellowship match list was incredible. Huge names and about 90% of their class got a fellowship. Easily the best list I saw on the trail. They work hard, but I got the feeling that it would pay off in the end. My priorities were #1 fellowship placement, and #2 fun city. Rush nailed both of those.

UT-houston - a program that seems to be really moving in the right direction. Residents LOVED the new PD, and hes apparently made tons of positive changes to the program. The CA1s loved the direction things were going. Really strong program.

CCF - another program that gets lots of **** on here. I actually loved it, and their residents were easily the happiest out of all the programs I went to. I probably talked to 20-30 between dinner and lunch and EVERY SINGLE ONE was obsessed with the program. I think that since the overhaul of the program in the last few years (including the cut down to 20 residents) the program is becoming a phenomenal place to train. And you certainly can't argue about the name you get to put on your diploma. But, in the end, yes, cleveland does suck (awesome food scene though!).

GW - Since there isn't a ton of info on here about GW. Awesome PD, young guy that really seems to be on top of things. Most go into PP but their fellowship matches were very strong should you go down that path. Residents did seem to work hard, but enjoyed the program and enjoyed working in DC.

In the end, I liked everywhere I went other than UF-jax (that place is a mess). There really aren't that many duds in the anesthesia world, and I think you'd get a great training at just about any program you match to.

Last edited:
1) Mount Sinai
2) Brigham
3) NYU
4) Columbia
5) Cornell
6) Beth Israel Deaconess
7) Yale
8) WashU St. Louis
9) UPMC
10) UCLA
11) UChicago

Figured it might be easier to tally things in another thread like we did last year.

I know some folk are more comfortable posting things anonymously, so you can always PM me or a moderator and they can post they list.

My list isn't as long (or prestigious) as some of the others but I'll post anyways and I'm pasting the ones from the other thread:
1. Loyola
2. Mayo-Jax
3. Baystate
4. Boston University
5. Case Western MetroHealth
6. UF-Jax
7. Rutgers-NJMS

DO interviewing at duke. That's money.

Reactions: 1 user
1. UCLA
2. UCSD
3. USC
4. UCI
5. Colorado
6. Beth Israel
7. Loma Linda
8. OHSU
9. Yale
10. Harbor UCLA
11. UF Gainesville
12. UNC
13. MUSC
14. Dartmouth
15. Georgetown

Step 1: 233. Middle of my class. Lots of extracurricular stuff, research, etc.

Location trumped other considerations at the top of my list. I did away rotations at UCLA and USC. I go to Georgetown, the only reason it is ranked last is b/c my wife and I have had our 'DC experience' and are ready for some new scenery. I would recommend it highly to anyone who is curious or interested. Opinions may differ on this, but I honestly feel like I could match anywhere on my list and be happy and come out well-trained at the end of residency. For intern year, it varied slightly from location to location but my main list was University of Hawaii TY, University of Hawaii prelim medicine, Harbor UCLA TY, Univ of Colorado prelim med, and Georgetown prelim med. However, a majority of the spots on my main list are categorical.

Random thoughts on my top 3:

UCLA: Since I did an away here, I felt like I got a good look at the program. Reputation as a "workhorse" program is not without basis. Some weeks/rotations are intense, others not as much. I liked the intensity of the residents/attendings that I worked with. Seemed like a work hard/play hard group from my interactions with them. Generous health benefits (important to those of us w/families to take care of), option to live in grad student apartments, and tapping into an excellent alumni network for jobs in SoCal after residency. I have traded notes with many others who were turned off for various reasons, not sure why my experience was so different. Personally, I felt welcomed from day one of my away rotation and still keep in touch with the friends I made there.

UCSD: If I had not done an away to UCLA, I think I would have ranked UCSD #1. I love San Diego, have always wanted to live there. Program is front-loaded on purpose: they want you to get independent fast so they throw big stuff at you. Residents seemed to like it: no one I talked to felt overwhelmed. Residents seemed to get along well, one of the best pre-interview dinners I personally experienced on the trail. Some powerhouse faculty, but a small enough department that you actually get to know/work with them. They are part of the start prep program that Stanford developed for the new stepwise board exams.

USC: Also did an away here. Just went categorical this year for all spots, surgery-based prelim. Since its brand new, no one knows exactly what it will be like, but the reputation of USC prelim surgery is one of long hours and very sick patients. Great trauma, although I'm not sure if we will see any of it as interns. Otherwise, I loved USC. You spend CA-1 at County which has a laidback attitude and most the work is done by residents, so things move slowly. Lots of interesting cases from trauma to prisoners, lots of opportunities to practice your Spanish. They also use a ton of ketamine, which was interesting since I had not actually seen it used very much prior to my time there. CA2 and onwards, you spend some time at Keck hospital where the pace is faster and there is more private insurance, so you get exposed to that population, too. They have an easy schedule as CA1's, easier than any I am aware of. Since you are a county employee, you are part of a union and get some benefits from that. Also, more free food than they know what to do with.

If anyone applying in the future reads this and has questions about anything, PM me and I would be happy to elaborate on any of these programs.

Feels good to have the list officially submitted! Now, we just have to wait patiently until reality strikes us all on March 21st.

1. OHSU
2. Virginia Mason
3. Duke
4. Stanford
5. Michigan
6. Pitt
7. Mayo, Rochester
8. UNC
9. UW
10. UVa
11. Colorado
12. Wake
13. UCSF
14. VCU

US IMG, top of the class, 253/233, FWIW

1. WashU*
2. UT Houston
3. UK
4. VCU
5. Houston advanced
6. UCONN*
7. Texas Tech
8. UMASS*
9. Boston U
10. Wayne State*
11. UCONN advanced
12. UMASS advanced
13. Boston U advanced
14. Buffalo*
15. Case Western Metrohealth advanced
16. Rutgers - RWJ advanced
17. St Joe's advanced
18. NYMC advanced

* Unsolicited post interview email

Ranked everywhere I interviewed. Surprised how tough prelim med interviews were for me to get only received 2/20 thus why a majority of the top ranks are categorical. Anyone wants to ask me anything specific please feel free to PM

Last edited:
my rank list pretty much stayed the same:

1). Mount Sinai Florida
2). North Shore LIJ
3). Cleveland Clinic
4). SUNY Downstate
5). UF Jackosnville
6). Boston Med
7). Bay State
8). Rochester

Definitely feeling great to have this done. Good luck everyone!

1. NYU
2. Columbia
3. Brigham
4. BIDMC
5. Mount Sinai
6. Northwestern
7. Cornell
8. Yale
9. Dartmouth
10. CCF

1. NYU
2. Penn
3. BIDMC
4. Miami
5. Mount Sinai
6. Einstein
7. GW
8. Maryland
9. UF-Gainesville
10. USC
11. Rush
12. Jefferson
13. MUSC
14. Stony Brook
15. Drexel
16. NY Medical College

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
1. UAB
2. Vandy
3. Baylor
4. Colorado
5. San Antonio
6. Scott and White
7. Wash U
8. Oklahoma
9. UTSW

Categorical and advanced where applicable.

What programs were you guys most surprised by on interviews?

Personally speaking, Mayo-Jax was way better than anything I expected. Their facilities are amazing, their staff has a bunch of big names and the residents seemed capable and extremely down to earth. They're a small class as well, but all of them got their first choice in fellowships at solid places.

Plus they get a ton of perks with Mayo forking the bill for poster presentations anywhere. One of the residents had taken something like 5-6 trips. It seemed to have all the resources of Mayo, but without the "Mayo way" attitude and cold weather. Ultimately I ranked it #2 because of location, but I was really impressed.

US MD, average med school, Steps 230s/240s, mostly Honors, lots of volunteer/research/some pubs

Ranked advanced over categorical when possible (ideally would stay at home program one more year)

1. MGH
2. UCSF*
3. OHSU
4. UCSD
5. Pitt
6. Cornell
7. Columbia
8. Wash U
9. Penn
10. Tufts*
11. Northwestern*
12. UWash
13. Wisconsin
14. Tulane
15. Ochsner
16. Einstein
17. Rush
18. LSU
19. UIC

*Unsolicited post-interview contact (none RTM language)

What programs were you guys most surprised by on interviews?

Personally speaking, Mayo-Jax was way better than anything I expected. Their facilities are amazing, their staff has a bunch of big names and the residents seemed capable and extremely down to earth. They're a small class as well, but all of them got their first choice in fellowships at solid places.

Plus they get a ton of perks with Mayo forking the bill for poster presentations anywhere. One of the residents had taken something like 5-6 trips. It seemed to have all the resources of Mayo, but without the "Mayo way" attitude and cold weather. Ultimately I ranked it #2 because of location, but I was really impressed.

I was surprised how different certain programs could be as far as hours, responsiblity, etc. You can definitely find a program that fits you personally. Overall, there were so many great choices. We will all become great anesthesiologists as long as we hard work and dedicate ourselves to the craft. March 21st can't come soon enough.

(I'm the kid in the back seat...Are we there yet?)

* = RTM communication
^ = "encouraging words" communication

(1) MGH*
(2) BWH*
(3) Stanford*
(4) Hopkins*
(5) UCSF^
(6) Penn*
(7) Duke^
(8) Columbia*
(9) WashU*
(9) Vandy^
(10) UW^
(11) Yale*
(12) BIDMC

* = RTM communication

(1) MGH*
(2) BWH*
(3) Stanford*
(4) Hopkins*
(5) UCSF^
(6) Penn*
(7) Duke^
(8) Columbia*
(9) WashU*
(9) Vandy^
(10) UW^
(11) Yale*
(12) BIDMC
That's an impressive list.

1. UCLA
2. Cedars-Sinai
3. UCI
4. USC
5. UC Davis
6. Northwestern
7. U Chicago
8. Yale
9. UPMC
10. NYU
11. Loma Linda
12. Columbia
13. U Michigan
14. UTSW
15. U Miami

DNR: Harbor-UCLA

* = RTM communication

(1) MGH*
(2) BWH*
(3) Stanford*
(4) Hopkins*
(5) UCSF^
(6) Penn*
(7) Duke^
(8) Columbia*
(9) WashU*
(9) Vandy^
(10) UW^
(11) Yale*
(12) BIDMC

I think it's safe to say an impressive minority of applicants got the majority of the RTM communication. Hope for us all who heard very little.

Stumbled across this today, laughed pretty hard. All you need to know is the title: "Hitler Finds Out His Match Results". Looking forward to Mar 21st!

Reactions: 5 users
really? nobody else? we had like 70+ last year and I loved seeing everyone's lists!

1. Mayo Rochester
2. UAB
3. Iowa
4. U Michigan
5. Utah
6. CCF
7. UT Houston
8. UTMB
9. New Mexico
10. Arizona

Anybody else rank Mayo #1? Shocked to see it hasn't gotten much love.

I interviewed there but am delaying the match for a year due to SO job issues. Really strong program with happy residents and a wonderful PD, fingers crossed it works out for you! I think SDN is a pretty small sample but potentially the really rough winter hurt them this year? The weather is already a negative often cited about Rochester but maybe this year the constant string of negative degree days has been too much for people to take?

1. Mayo Rochester
2. UAB
3. Iowa
4. U Michigan
5. Utah
6. CCF
7. UT Houston
8. UTMB
9. New Mexico
10. Arizona

I was soooo close to ranking them number one, but as OncDoc19 suggested it was the bitter cold that had me rank it number two after Miami! Still not sure if it was the right decision though as I've not experienced a summer in Miami.

I was soooo close to ranking them number one, but as OncDoc19 suggested it was the bitter cold that had me rank it number two after Miami! Still not sure if it was the right decision though as I've not experienced a summer in Miami.

florida summers are miserable. but you always have the beach.

1. MGH
2. Stanford
3. Brigham
4. UCSF

Got some love from UCSF and postive feedback from MGH when I told them they are my no. 1, but I really have no idea where I'll end up. I'm a slightly marginal candidate for these institutions.

1. MGH
2. Stanford
3. Brigham
4. UCSF

Got some love from UCSF and postive feedback from MGH when I told them they are my no. 1, but I really have no idea where I'll end up. I'm a slightly marginal candidate for these institutions.
Did you only rank those 4? I'm curious because that is a good list of programs, so I'm assuming you did not rank other places that you interviewed. Ballsy.

My final list (at least the top 5):
1) Univ of VA (C>A)
2.) BI (A>C)
3.) Stanford (A>C)
4.) Dartmouth
5.) Yale

I pretty much received radio silence with the exception of UVA and Dartmouth. I felt like a pretty marginal applicant during my stanford interview. I would love the spend the next several years in C-ville (fingers crossed). Good luck to everyone else on this thread!

Did you only rank those 4? I'm curious because that is a good list of programs, so I'm assuming you did not rank other places that you interviewed. Ballsy.

Haha, not that ballsy, I just didn't think the extended list would be that enlightening. The complete list is:

1. MGH (C > A for all except noted)
2. Stanford
3. BWH
4. UCSF (C/CC > C > A)
5. Duke
6. UCSD IM/Anes
7. HUP
8. Hopkins (A/CC > A)
9. Cornell
10. BID
11. Columbia (C/Research > C > A)
12. UCSD (A)
13. Mt. Sinai

20+ interviews, all told.

Anyone notice some weirdness with the Stanford NRMP number? I only noticed it right before submission and didn't get a chance to ask anyone, but Stanford had a 'Stanford Univ Progs-CA - Trans/Anes Santa Clara' program that shared the ACGME number with the SCVMC transitional site but with a different NRMP number. I ranked the Stanford categorical program and the SCVMC TY and prelim programs, but couldn't even add that one to my list. They should have some kind a of semi-categorical program for residents doing their intern year there, but I wasn't sure what to make of it.

US/IMG here...

1. Wayne State/DMC
2. UConn
3. Loyola
4. Boston Univ
5. Case-Western Metrohealth
6. NYMC

i personally thought Wayne State/DMC was a hidden gem. Friendly working environment, involved and supportive PD, great in-house fellowships (Peds&Pain), and the training+pathology you see in detroit is 2nd to none. the city has a lot to be desired, but it is constantly improving. there are quite a few nice/safe areas, the suburbs are great, the winter weather sucks though

An updated tally:
MGH x4
NYU x3
UCSF x2
UCLA x2
Cedars Sinai x2
BWH x2
Stanford IM/Anes x1
Stanford x1
Miami x1
George Washington x1
UPenn x1
Loyola x1
Hopkins x1
Mount Sinai x1
Virginia Mason x1
Wake Forest x1
Colorado x1
Mayo Rochester x1
Northwestern x1
OHSU x1
UAB x1
WashU x1
Mount Sinai Florida x1
UT Houston x1
University of Virginia x1
Wayne State/DMC x1
UC Irvine x1

Looks like we're a scattered bunch this year. Last year had a at least 9 ranking Mt. Sinai and 7-8 for MGH and UPMC. Then again they had a lot more lists, 75+ compared to 36 thus far.

Good luck guys! T-minus 90 minutes. not sure whether we are creating a new thread for match day or keeping this one, but hope to see everyone happy with their results :luck::xf:

Are you guys familiar with any private school postbacc/master's programs that do not require the MCAT? Or possibly also provide MCAT course to prepare you? I only applied to UC's.

Are you guys familiar with any private school postbacc/master's programs that do not require the MCAT? Or possibly also provide MCAT course to prepare you? I only applied to UC's.

Not sure you're in the right place. . .